new amatuer mma rules for ga...

I would relax.....i dont think it will pass.

"What benefit do you have fighting under the same pro rules, with no payment, no compensation, no required medicals (ie not the same safety measures)?

Pretty simple question that no one ever bothers to answer"

Experience! I'm still amateur, and I don't think I'm ready to turn pro yet because my skills aren't where they need to be. Experience, experience, experience....when you turn pro you want to be a good pro and give people good fights, not get your ass kicked because you aren't ready.

Monetarily speaking, if you win as a pro, you get more money. Why turn pro just to get the minimum amount of money and take an ass whipping because you're not ready??

The reason for Amateur competition is to become more experienced and build your skill level. More protection for fighters will lead to less experince and more ammys turing pro before they are ready. A fighter can build his skills by fihgting and matching himself against similar cometion in the amateur arena will already have established by the ISCF. This board sanctions most fights and has laws regarding matchmaking to keep skill levels as close as possible. Of course we still have occasional mismatches but this is very rare and I am yet to see this myself. Medical Insurance is already taken care of by law for ammys. The risk of injury is apparent as MMA is a combat sport. But there has not been any serious injuries or complaints by any fihgter or promoter to have these rules changed. The skill level of ammys in GA is high for some but they still need the amateur status to build their skills. If they were to jump straight into Pro status we will see many more lopsided fights because they have been groomed with a set of rules so far from the pro level. We see different skill levels in every organization there are B fihgters in the UFC.

The skill level is the main difference and as long as a fighter has a good team watching out for him or he is watching out for himself then they will be matched accordingly in Amateur and Pro bouts. But their are many jobbers out there who just want a paycheck and will take an ass whipping for 500$. We have one of the biggest and best MMA scenes in the country for a reason and rule changes are not neccasary.

O and manfromyard please keep your opinion to yourself because you have no frame of reference here. Your like a 8 year old walking into a movie asking whats happend. No frame of reference.

Sorry for all the rants but damn this is some BS im done now.

no knees to the head is retarted and no strikes to the head while on the ground really takes a lot out of the fight...i alot of fights are won from punches to the head via the mount position or even the gaurd...completely eliminates the ground and pound

"The question is (and it WILL come from boxing promoters), yes, No-one has complained, but Boxing and Muay Thai have very different amateur rules than professional. Yet boxers who are great amatuers (lennox Lewis, sugar Ray Leonard, Dela Hoya, Mayweather) go on to be great pros despite the rule difference."

VERY different? of just a little bit different? Because it looks to be more along the lines of a little bit different. I only read parts of this thread, and have to assume headgear for ammys was just a rumor. That alone makes for a different sport, not different rules. Larger gloves and shin guards also create sustantial differences.

If the amatuers need regulation I would say proper matchmaking will ensure safety a hell of alot more than any BS rule changes.

Casey, you are going to be there, right?

This is Lance, BTW.

TTT

Casey, the name is Jason Gates, we fought on the same card last XFF in Dalton. You destroyed your opponent, where as I got caught in a triangle at the end of the first round.... And yes based on what I've seen, if you think you're not ready for pro, I'd say your pretty damn close.....

I've cornered a handful of fighters at different Ga events and finally got my first one out of the way in March. I'm one of those who has a full time job (Air Force) and a family. MMA is a more of a hobby of mine, but I do take it serious and I believe that the purity of the sport in GA is in danger with these rule changes. Bottomline is there have not been any problems in the past with the rules and if someone wants to try MMA Sparring, then go join a gym/school. I'm sure you'll get plenty of headgear/shinpad/big glove action. As for me, if these rules get passed..... I guess a little extra change in my pocket for fighting won't hurt.... And we'll find out if I have any business being in there.....

Jason

Headgear sucks from a grappling perspective. I want to fight, but I'm a grappler and a stupid rule like that would probably prevent me from taking the plunge.

" Ammy we cant elbow and have shorter rounds. Also fights are stopped quicker if your in trouble. "

some of you will know why that made me laugh

anyway here is what I think. Nobody is forcing you to fight. You sign up for it. You are a willing participant in a very dangerous sport. If you dont want to get hurt- go play golf. Headgear, shinguards, etc is for kids. its gay. Nobody is gonna pay to watch it.

what is the worst injury that we have seen in GA on the amateur level? concussion? broken arm? stitches?

those injuries sound like they could come from any high school football game.

LOL @ Blake!

"Nobody is gonna pay to watch it."

Well, we don't seem to hae a problem getting people to come...

I think it is a great move.

And will people stop with the Headgear issue... NO HEADGEAR...!

I like the rules. For those people that think it's too much protection I doubt you've gotten in the ring or cage with someone who can hit really hard. Amateur boxing has more protection and even with their gear, breaking noses, chipping teeth, KO's and even the occasional broken jaw can happen.

Yea i have had my bell rung by pros plenty of times so shut up and come up with a better argument, I have taken plenty of damage.

JHG, yea bro i remember you and thanks for the good words.

Lance i will be there dont worry.

Boxers start fighting as early as 9 years of age.

You cannot fight MMA until you are like 18

Amateur Boxing is organized from the ground up with the largest prize being an olympic medal.

Amateur MMA is just that, until you decide to go pro.

Why fight ammy under the same rules as pro's with no money?

Cause you only start at the top when you dig your own grave.

I can guarantee that Silhouette speaks for at least 95% of the AM fighters in GA. What he says is entirely correct.

Many of the new proposed rules actually make it LESS safe and the powers that be have been informed of this in detail with diagrams and demonstrations. Let's hope they take heed.

Amateur sports are supposed to be about preparing an athlete for the pro ranks. This means giving them the experience and skill needed to compete at a higher level. If these new rules are implemented it will actually separate pro MMA from amateur MMA so vastly that there will be no chance of one preparing an athlete for the higher levels. They will be entirely 2 different sports. It's like using go-kart racing to prepare a driver for NASCAR.

Which brings me to my next point... There is a lot of talk about differentiation between the two and the talk of safety. I feel like the differentiation is the primary factor and that because of that point safety will actually take a back seat and will ultimately be compromised by people that do not understand the sport. What are the major differences between high school football and professional football, especially where safety is concerned? Do they wear more pads? Nope. What about the aforementioned... auto racing? The amateurs still get into automobiles and drive fast, don't they? The risks are the same. What about hockey? Baseball? I don't think there are a whole lot of differentiating factors that involve "safety" or even the illusion of it.

If these new rules are implemented fighters will either go pro too soon or go to other states to build their amateur experience. It's designed to generate revenue but they will in fact lessen the revenue. They will kill amateur MMA in the state of GA.

I know none of my amateur fighters will fight under these rules because I will not allow it. It isn't safe and I will not compromise the safety of my fighters. I have been involved in this sport for over 12 years and I know a whole lot more about what is going on than people who profess to not know a thing about it.

Our amateur scene in GA is one of the best in the country. Our amateurs are better than the pros in many other states. It's because we have a long history in the sport, a lot of knowledgable sanctioning bodies, officials, and refs in charge to oversee the safety of the fighters. Adding placebo rules to rectify a situation that doesn't even exist is ludicrous.

Peace-
Cam

Great post Cam.

Cam has come correct.... Good words..

Jason