*NEW* Eddie Bravo recalls his historic 03 ADCC win

Funny thing a lot of people don't realize, Royler beat Leo in BJJ.

Wasa-B - 
Auzzie - Did Eddie enter a top no gi bjj competition recently? When is he gonna roll with someone like marcela garcia

Royler was the Marcelo of that day.

yep and if mr earl was around,  im sure he would be doing the same.im the guy  that beat mg 

or you could be the blue belt  that tapped eddies best rubber guard  player (bb )and do the same

I love Eddie but this Royler debacle needs to stop. He tapped him 10 years ago, and he never even won the tournament. It's like always bringing up that one awesome football performance you had in your college days, but now you don't play anymore, but then there is always that guy willing to give you that chance to prove your great athleticism, but all of a sudden, your back hurts. Phone Post

CaptainBurma -
Jason Chambers - Wait Eddie tapped Royler? news to me....

;)

Royler got tapped?!?! Damn, this Eddie Bravo dude's sick! He's gonna be tearing up the no-gi circuit for the next ten years. I can see him tapping Rico Rodriguez or even Kerr in the adcc absolute division in the next coming years. I think Joe Rogan will end up tapping Rickson in a handful of years also.

Please tell me these conversations actually happened back then!! Lol.

Black swans are swimming. Phone Post

HATERS GANNA HATE

It's like if Serra retired the day after he beat GSP and then went on about it at every chance. I think that would have been hilarious too.

Don't get me wrong I listen to Joe Rogan's podcast and always love it when Eddie is on, he seems like a really nice guy and I totally understand his stance, I just find it a bit funny now.

A lot of Eddie hate here.

It's a cool story and as said previously it's great promotion for  Eddie. And yeah if I ever beat an undefeated martial arts legend on their home turf you're damn straight I'm gonna be tellin ALL THE BITCHES! Including you guys.

Daily.

LOx2 -  For a JJ player this is the equivalent to winning an Olympic gold medal.

It's a big deal.

I think he has every right to talk about this daily if he chooses.

You think Mary Lou Retton doesn't talk about her medals anymore?

That was 1984! Phone Post
maybe if eddie won a gold medal,shit if he won any medal in that tournie

Jason Chambers -
Auzzie - Did Eddie enter a top no gi bjj competition recently? When is he gonna roll with someone like marcela garcia

Marcelo is much larger than Eddie. Ive rolled with both and they have completely different styles.

So what does that say about Marcelo going against men wayy bigger than him? Th difference between Marcelo and Eddie can't be more than 15lbs Phone Post

<!--0.0020170211792-->

Wasa-B -

Royler was the Marcelo of that day.

I would say Jean-Jacques Machado was the Marcelo of that day. Phone Post

12 - 
LOx2 -  For a JJ player this is the equivalent to winning an Olympic gold medal.

It's a big deal.

I think he has every right to talk about this daily if he chooses.
You think Mary Lou Retton doesn't talk about her medals anymore?
That was 1984! Phone Post
maybe if eddie won a gold medal,shit if he won any medal in that tournie

He kind of did.... Beating royler at that time would be like beating Michael Jordan in a game of one on one..

the thing is... it would be like some college scrub beating MJ... that is how huge that win was.

It would be like some ammy fighter with a couple fights walking in and beating anderson..

kying418 - Another thing about this whole match is that Royler never gave Eddie any credit for beating him and tapping him out.

From all the interviews I have read, Royler just dismisses the defeat as Eddie being very lucky.

In a way, I think it's a good troll job Eddie is doing to Royler- always mentioning the win, when Royler never gives him credit for it.

Keep sucking that dick

Its undeniably a great win....and a huge upset. What is a little funny is that this victory is often implied to validate the rubber guard system for use in No Gi competition. Its been awhile since I watched the match, but I'm pretty sure the rubber guard poses little threat to Royler and the final triangle comes off of a pretty conventional (albeit, very well executed) set up.

That to me in the "elephant in the room" about this match

PS...didn't listen to Eddies recap on page 1 of this thread.

PPS....also huge huge respect for Eddie....met him, very cool guy....rolled with him, he destroyed me.

rbl - What will Eddie do for the 10 year anniversary? It's not long now.

He will give an exclusive in-depth play by play, second by second commentary of the match as him and Joe replay it live!!!!  LOL

(its a joke, its a joke)   

vandelay - Was that Henry Atkins he beat at the North American trials?? anybody know??

I don't know but how could it have been Akins? Isn't he like 50lbs heavier?

Elias Cepeda -
vandelay - Was that Henry Atkins he beat at the North American trials?? anybody know??

I don't know but how could it have been Akins? Isn't he like 50lbs heavier?

I agree. But it looked a lot like him and it was how many years ago Phone Post

Isn't their some weird Eddie Bravo/UFC curse floating around?

I believe Eddie Bravo beat Renzo Gracie black belt Allan Teo in the finals of the ADCC qualifiers that year. (Teo might have been a purple belt in 2003).