Nick Newell vs Joe Lauzon

Solid fight imo, wish the UFC would sign Newell

Joe would smoke him. Submissions are Nick's thing but Joe is on a whole different level on the ground. 

thegreatone287 - 

Joe would smoke him. Submissions are Nick's thing but Joe is on a whole different level on the ground. 

thegreatone287 -

The Closed Guard -

Do you hate Nick Newell or something? Shouldn't a first time UFC fighter fight another first time UFC fighter instead of  the guy with the most Submission of Night honors in the history of the sport?

GladiatorGannon -
The Closed Guard -

Do you hate Nick Newell or something? Shouldn't a first time UFC fighter fight another first time UFC fighter instead of  the guy with the most Submission of Night honors in the history of the sport?

I honestly think Newell takes it. 

The Closed Guard -
GladiatorGannon -
The Closed Guard -

Take Your Medicine

The Closed Guard -
GladiatorGannon -
The Closed Guard -

Even if that were the case, still a terrible idea. 2-0 in the UFC puts you in an immensely more secure spot than 1-0 in the UFC. If he's capable of beating a Joe Lauzon on his debut, guess what? Joe Lauzon will still be fighting a few months after his debut. Get in, get the safest win possible in your debut, then worry about tackling the guys with legendary accomplishments in the sport.

If you can be comfortably assured of beating a Joe Lauzon, then you should be getting a highlight reel stoppage of another rookie, along with a possible 50k performance bonus (like the 15 Lauzon has). And your lack of a medical suspension makes fighting Lauzon shortly thereafter very possible.

"This is chess, not checkers".

Newell is a beast but Joe would easily win that fight if it happened tomorrow.

Nick could beat a lot of guys in the ufc at 155 but Lauzon isn't one of them.

I like Nick and want to see him get his chance soon. I thought he fought at 170 though?

Why not CM Punk vs Newell?

While I might not lead with Lauzon as OP suggests, I think the average UG'er is massively underrating Nick Newell. Yeah, he has one hand and had fought 2 dudes with a Wikipedia page, but seriously suggesting CM Punk is borderline insulting (unless you hate CM Punk, I guess). I know Newell hasn't been fighting the highest level comp every time out, but he's beyond fighting 0-1 opponents. Not to mention Punk is ostensibly a welter, and Newell is a lightweight.

GladiatorGannon -
The Closed Guard -

Lauzon fought Jens Pulver in his UFC debut.

SHOGUN250 -
GladiatorGannon -
The Closed Guard -

Lauzon fought Jens Pulver in his UFC debut.

Yes he did. Sometimes you take the fight you can get, not the fight you want, when you want it. Sometimes the gamble works out, sometimes it doesn't. IIRC, he had a pretty good risk to reward ratio at that time, don't remember the exact circumstances. But the strategy I'm describing is pretty much what we've discovered is the best strategy from over a hundred years of  prizefighting. You can get lucky throwing up random triangles with bad timing and shitty form, but getting "lucky" is exactly what it is, you should strive for good form with good timing, it's more "investment" than "gamble".

The Closed Guard - 
GladiatorGannon -
The Closed Guard -

Hi Nick.

This is no offense to Nick. But Nick would struggle with the gate keepers of Bellator let alone the UFC. Let Nick win the LFA title before fighting a UFC legend like Lauzon.

Newell struggled with Marcellino…arguably “tapped” against him…Lauzon walks through him using one arm.

DJ Spazzy Dad -

The thought of this crossed my mind just as i scrolled past your post..

I have to hope the ufc would show nick more respect than this if they were interested in giving him a shot.

AdamBishop -
DJ Spazzy Dad -

I have to hope the ufc would show nick more respect than this if they were interested in giving him a shot.

Cause Nick is a monster, he’d maul CM Punk

GaspareBJJ - 
AdamBishop -
DJ Spazzy Dad -

Cause Nick is a monster, he’d maul CM Punk

All of you realize that CM Punk is there for a business decision to bring PPV’s in not to win fights. Right? CM Punk is a known national name due to pro wrestling with a huge following

Outside of the hardcore fans, nobody knows who Nick Newell is. Nobody.

GladiatorGannon -
The Closed Guard -

He’s 15-1.. if any other fighter with that record was put against Lauzon everyone would complain that Joe doesn’t need to be out there getting smashed by these young hungry killers. Stop being an ableist bro.