Nogs sub= BJJ in crisis

Well according to Rickson he leaves to much space.
(American idol finished)

i'll just mention something that might be worth thinkin' about...
rigan machado used to always tell us that you can know a thousand moves in BJJ...
he may very well know more than just about anybody...
and still, he used to say... regardless of how much he knew, you develop your own game, and he said in competition he probably leaned on a dozen or so "money" moves (for him at least), that he used to win most of his matches...

still think it makes sense...

jiu-jitsu100,

Bas is right in saying that you cannot guillotine with one arm inside the choke.

"jiu-jitsu100,

Bas is right in saying that you cannot guillotine with
one arm inside the choke."

yes you can, ask Matsui

who gave chuck his purple?

I've choked people with the arm in, you just need to apply the pressure differently.

the arm in guillotine works and works well.. its a totally different pressure than the normal one. Alot of bjj black belts are doing this now.

The way I pulled it off is I just tried to do an arm triangle from the front. Seems harder to get your hand all the way behind your own neck to cinch it up though.

It's more fun to knee your opponent in the head than to choke him out from that position.

While jiujitsu100 has some valid points, I don't believe a purple belt necessarily needs to know the ENTIRE repertoire of BJJ moves. Undoubtedly, he should know the entire repertoire of BASIC BJJ moves, but it's more important that he uses all the techniques he has learned since being a white belt to fully UNDERSTAND the principles behind the entire repertoire of BJJ moves. Every teacher has different styles. Just because a purple belt under a teacher doesn't know the move doesn't mean that: (a) the teacher doesn't know the move (b) the purple belt shouldn't be a purple belt or (c) the teacher is holding back. Perhaps the teacher knows it, but doesn't implement that choke in his game frequently, and as such, doesn't show the move to his students frequently. There are countless times I can remember when I saw a move in competition and thought "WOW! That's an awesome, super-advanced move!" and wondered why I never learned that in class. Then, when I would ask my teacher about the move, he would, in the simplest of tones, say "oh, that technique? here, let me show you. You just do this, and this, and this. It's basically the same as this "X" technique I've taught you, just applied differently." It was only then that I realized that my teacher wasn't teaching me moves so that I learned the "ENTIRE repertoire" of jiu jitsu moves, but rather, he was teaching me the moves that he preferred, and the "ENTIRE repertoire" of basic bjj moves so that I learned the PRINCIPLES, not the moves. This way, when I encountered a different variation of it later on in my progression, I would immediately understand it and be able to incorporate it.

Just because someone doesn't know a particular variation, doesn't mean the person has no skill. Part of this is the beauty of jiu jitsu. It's all based on the principles, not just the moves. Just because Rickson didn't choke his opponents out with this choke, doesn't mean that he doesn't know it. Simply put, he may not have had the opportunity to show it. Similarly, just because Rickson doesn't show it in class and Renzo did, doesn't mean that Rickson is "holding back" or building a team of players who should be ashamed of their belts. (Using Rickson here as a hypothetical, obviously)

Anyway, getting back to the point: The fact that Chuck, Bas and crew didn't know the move isn't an indictment of their skill or their teacher. If, at their levels, they couldn't UNDERSTAND how the choke could possibly work, then THAT could potentially be an indictment (as it speaks to their understanding of the principles of the move). Everyone approaches moves differently; whether it's when they're teaching or training. Nobody is going to know every move out there. It's simply impossible. Some people play a 'fancier' game with flashier moves, but that doesn't mean they're more advanced. Jiu Jitsu is about the principles of leverage, body mechanics and movement. If Jiu Jitsu were just about the moves, we could all be black belts by buying a book and reading it at home.

Donald Park

Team Royler Gracie - David Adiv

Oh, and for the record, I am a purple belt and I know this move. So, I won't have to give my belt back to David or Royler, thankfully. . .

And yes (to Bas and others), you can do the arm-in guillotine. While it looks similar, it's applied differently. The regular guillotine (sans-arm) involves moving the hands up and the legs away. The arm-in guillotine involves more of a twisting motion (towards the trapped arm and up) and pulling in with the knees (as opposed to pushing away).

Totally different principle. Totally different move. Equally effective.

Isn't jiu jitsu great?

Why care if it's a "basic" move or not. People get caught in "basic" moves all the time. For example...triangle. Pretty much everyone knows it, seen it, tapped to it and use it...but people still get caught in it.