Olympic Wrestling Trials coming up!

For sure. Dake might be the best wrestler on Earth, including Sadulaev. If anybody was going to take out JB, I’m glad it was someone as great as Dake (even if I don’t really like Dake).

1 Like

good tourney kind oif sucks about Cox and Suriano.Cox must have been working extra to lose weight i doubt he missed the time otherwise

Still Pumped for Dake!!!

Didn’t take take him down right off the rip in match 2? Got ruled a 1 because he stayed on his toes (folk style ftw lol)

Damn, did J’den miss weight or not weigh in?

Intermat’s premium content explores what happened pretty thoroughly. Here are the cliffs:

7:21 AM - J’den entered the weigh-in room

8:13 AM - J’den made weight

Witnesses say that J’Den wasn’t struggling to make weight. He was totally calm. J’den says that his coach, Kevin Jackson, who works for USAW, told him it was open longer. At some point after 8am, Jackson runs in telling J’Den that they had to go. So, all the evidence supports what J’Den was saying: Jackson, a USAW employee, gave him bad intel.

Witnesses also say that J’Den didn’t even know that there was a problem. He didn’t know that he “failed to make weight” for another hour or so.

J’Den appealed. He claimed that it didn’t matter that KJ was his coach. KJ is a USAW employee and a USAW employee gave him bad intel. He also suggested some sort of remedy - he asked USAW, for example, to allow him to weigh in at 4:30 PM Friday night (2 hrs before his first match). USAW denied the appeal.

It’s BS. USAW screwed up thoroughly.

Thanks Wiggum. Appreciate your input as always.

1 Like

It’s pretty impressive to see that Dake still had the mental toughness to beat JB. Just thinking that JB has beat Dake a couple of times when it mattered (although most wins were by 1 pt), you’d think that Dake would have those thoughts in his head. But Dake showed up hungry and you could see he has been working his butt off. Hopefully he keeps that determination and takes the gold.

I think that Dake has the mental toughness of a true world champion. I also think the time away from JB gave him the chance to realize that he isn’t just the best wrestler in his weight class – he might be the best wrestler on Earth. The confidence of two world titles – without real competition – was likely what he needed to get over the JB hump.

To me, it’s a sign of his confidence that he adopted a defensive gameplan and stuck to it.

To be fair, Dake is getting younger everyday. Maybe he doesn’t even remember losing to JB

1 Like

feel bad for Cox they should have let him wrestle

JO got screwed against Poland. I’m sick of FS’s arbitrary passivity calls. Yes, JO allowed himself to get pushed around in the start, but Poland was not attempting meaningful offense.

In the second period, JO had around 10 shots to none.

there was no reason to put Gadz on the shot clock in the second… he kept his butt to the center… closed the distance anytime JO created space… never gave up near enough ground to get put on the clock in the second…

passivity is not arbitrary if you understand the rules and how they are called…

that match is 100% on JO…

Maybe I don’t understand it. But, if I don’t, Daniel Cormier doesn’t, and the two d1 coaches I was texting with also don’t. (This point isn’t sarcastic. We might all be conflating folkstyle criteria with freestyle criteria.)

I deal with coaches every weekend who don’t understand Greco/free rules…

Sone of them former Olympic and world team members…

And our officials in the US still do not officiate like they do over seas so they are hurting our athletes as well…

Point being, if someone is not actively trying to learn and decipher these rules in an ongoing basis it can be hard to keep up…

I’ve shared a story before that during the height of the frequent rule change era, I sat at an event with 5 guys who collectively had around 14 world/Olympic medals, and we couldn’t figure out the rules.

What is the freestyle passivity criteria?

1 Like

greco/free passivity internationally has to do almost exclusively with mat control…
and mat control is interpreted by keeping your butt to the center and not giving up ground…
actual control of the center of the mat…
absolutely nothing to do with half hearted shots to waste 30 seconds of a match like in the shit style…
the vast majority of american wrestlers want to pretend they are john smith and bounce around outside and do 100 fakes for every real attack…
none of them are actually john smith…
it is an issue internationally…

my kid is on the cadet greco world team and what we are talking about right now is how international matches are called and how he should be wrestling with that in mind…

it is mind blowing how many do not understand the realities of this sport and refuse to change their approach or even acknowledge there is a difference…

Yeah, if you’re holding the middle and getting push outs, you’re not being passive according to fs rules.

Responding to you and LJB: I was wondering how the pushout rule affects passivity. It makes sense. What the Polish guy was doing in the first would definitely not be meaningful offense in folkstyle, but that’s because it couldn’t lead to points. In freestyle, it absolutely led to points.

Responding to LBJ: thanks for that explainer. FWIW, I don’t think Oliver’s shots were half hearted. I thought they were real attempts at offense.

it is hard to generate meaningful offense when your opponent just backs straight up like JO did in the first…
running away is a legitimate strategy in the stall fest style of wrestling and it bites our athletes in the ass when they focus on real wrestling…
all the stall fest needs to do is institute a legitimate step out rule and it would change our overall wrestling over night… all of the wrestlers/coaches who have aspirations higher than a ride time point have been calling for this for years…

concerning half hearted shots, i was not speaking of JO in the second yesterday specifically… more of a general comment on a specific style of wrestling that tries to make it appear a wrestler is doing somehting when in effect they absolutely are not…