O'Malley Does Not Need A Manager

2 Likes

1 Like

UFC bantamweight contender Sean Oā€™Malley enjoys being in control of his career ahead of the biggest fight of his life at UFC 280.

Oā€™Malley will face former bantamweight champion Petr Yan at UFC 280 on Oct. 22. A win could give him a potential bantamweight title shot amidst a fast rise through the division.

Oā€™Malley has been critical of the UFCā€™s pay structure and went as far as to point out that he doesnā€™t want to fight five rounds without a significant pay raise. Heā€™ll fight three rounds with Yan for his next matchup.

While a large majority of combat sports athletes have managers who direct their path in the sport, Oā€™Malley has opted to go at it alone and be in full control of all of his assets.

Sean Oā€™Malley Explains Reasoning Behind Not Having A Manager

Credit: MMA Junkie

During a recent interview on The MMA Hour, Oā€™Malley revealed heā€™s his own boss when it comes to managing his career.

ā€œSolo dolo,ā€ Oā€™Malley said. ā€œNo middle man, no one taking a random percentage for being a middle man. I do my own deals and shit gets done right.ā€

When further pressed on his decision to ride solo, Oā€™Malley explained why he feels itā€™s in his best interest as a fighter.

ā€œLetā€™s say UFC gets the sponsorship deal, and whoever handles that at the UFC wants Sean Oā€™Malley. Then they go to [my] management and take 15% just to tell me about the dealā€¦ you want 15% of my money just because you did what? Thatā€™s not happeningā€¦ it just makes sense [to not have a manager],ā€ Oā€™Malley explained.

ā€œI personally enjoy doing all the business side of things. Thereā€™s some fighters who are probably like ā€˜fuck that, I donā€™t wanna look at that stuff, you take care of it and Iā€™ll give you a percentageā€™. I like to be a part of my deals. I like to be directly in communication with all my brand deals, the UFC specifically, just everyone.

ā€œI donā€™t want any missed communication, all of that seems to happen when thereā€™s an extra voice in the middle, and itā€™s just not necessary at least for me,ā€ Oā€™Malley continued. ā€œItā€™s nice getting that check and not having to [spread it out]ā€¦ I donā€™t wanna write a check to a management team for really not doing much.ā€

Oā€™Malley recently revealed that he views the UFC in a different light from a business perspective, pointing to the importance for him to work in collaboration with UFC President Dana White and the rest of the brass.

Fighter pay has become a hot-button issue in recent years. White and the rest of the UFC have been criticized for how they do business and how they treat their fighters financially during and after their careers.

Oā€™Malley has decided to take it upon himself to manage his fight bookings, sponsorships, etc., and seems to be successful in doing so. This could potentially become a trend amongst UFC fighters like Oā€™Malley who have been frustrated with fighter earnings.

1 Like

I kind of hope he gets beat up. I donā€™t know why. Iā€™m just a jerk.

8 Likes

Heā€™s smart, fuck giving away your money in that business when you made your name as well as he did. If youā€™re a boring fighter who canā€™t talk? Yeah, maybe get a manager lol.

11 Likes

Hate the way he looks, but i enjoy his fights and his perspective.

5 Likes

Pretty much thisā€¦heā€™s got a pretty decent approach to his career. Heā€™s definitely using that UFC platform to his advantage. Thereā€™s a chance he could still be leaving cash on the table with certain deals, but makes it back by not paying that 15-20 percent to a manager.

4 Likes

Also, he learns moreā€¦which translates to increased future earnings. There is value in seeing how the sausage is made.

5 Likes

6 Likes

6 Likes

Managers and agents get you more money. He is not a savvy businessman nor is he educated or experienced in negotiation. Name one successful athlete who doesnā€™t pay for elite representation.

100% agreeā€¦thereā€™s definite value in learning about the business and your finances as a whole.

1 Like

Possibly and probably true.

I wont fault a man for trying to do something themself though.

Its no skin off my back either way

2 Likes

Why does a Bowler need a Manager?

Good for him.
Thereā€™s more to this kid than meets the eye

1 Like

Mark Cuban Of MMA
However, Oā€™Malley recently revealed otherwise on The MMA Hour. Per ā€œSuga,ā€ it was more of a perspective shift than increased paycheck, as heā€™s now looking at high-profile UFC fights as an avenue to increase his other revenue streams like merchandise.