O'Malley Does Not Need A Manager

No, there really isn’t.

“Perspective shift” lol.

More like he cried wolf thinking he was top of the bill and refused to fight ranked opponents unless he was paid way more, then when Dana didn’t hand over a whole new massive contract he realized nobody wants to keep watching a 28 year old “prospect” with clown hair try to beat up cans forever.

1 Like

" Ronald Methdonald " - CCC

3 Likes

It depends on the structure of things. Some people just have “managers” that claim to do everything. Some have agents, business managers, accountants, lawyers etc, so it really depends on who they employ and what they task them with.

Lots of guys are breaking away from paying agents to negotiate deals. Seen that alot in the NFL. Lamar Jackson being a specific name among them. Ray Allen negotiated his $70 million deal back in the 90’s without an agent, but paid an hourly rate to have the contract reviewed. He did employ a business manager and an accountant though. Dirk Nowitzki was a guy who had no agent or manager…so they’re certainly out there. That’s not to say they couldn’t have made more with representation, but they all faired pretty well at the end of the day

What’s the latest on Henry’s comeback, Hong Kong?

This is how you do it.

NBA is pretty well laid out in terms of contract values. And if you’ve been around before and know what kind of toss-ins are standard that would help.

Pay a lawyer to review and make sure there’s no fuckery and call it a day. Lawyer would be fractions of what an agent would be. If agents are getting like 15% that’s a big leap for them to get you more value at the end of the day.

4 Likes
1 Like

2 Likes

After months of talk and speculation, Henry Cejudo is on the verge of bringing his two-year hiatus from competitive mixed martial arts to an end. The man known as ‘Triple C’ has discussed the possibility of a comeback at length ever since he first walked away from the game, and now, it seems as if the time has finally come for him to get back into the mix.

The decision comes just days after UFC 273 which saw Aljamain Sterling and Alexander Volkanovski both retain their titles at bantamweight and featherweight – two divisions Cejudo is interested in exploring.
In preparation for the six-month testing phase, Cejudo spoke to The Schmo about what prompted his decision.

“I had a talk with Ali and I’m serious about entering back in the USADA pool. Alexander the Average, he’s pummelling through people and talking about how there are no competitors – well you got the Triple C here. Then you’ve got the CEO of EPO TJ Dillashaw. If he comes back and beats Aljalame Sterling, then I think there’s a beautiful storyline. Don’t count Triple C out.”

“I think either option is good, man. I can see myself beating both of those dudes, whether I go up and then come down or go down at 135 and then come up.”

1 Like

Love It , Why pay one if you dont need one ?
Plus Ray Allen was a bad boy

1 Like

I’m looking forward to seeing Henry back in the cage.
He’s quite a character and a supreme talent

1 Like

Smart move. He is young and already looking at his post fight career it seems. He’ll learn a lot

1 Like

A good manager does the following

• provide a solid ROI, assuming Sugar had to pay his manager %15 of his $100k purse, that manager would have to prove he is worth more than $15k which is easy to verify
  • provide financial advice. IIRC Paul Williams was a boxer that was on the cusp of superstardom but no one wanted to fight him, took his managers advice and invested his purse into real estate. He gets into a motorcycle accident and gets paralyzed ending his boxing career. Last I heard, he is doing well because he followed his managers advice
  • get you brand deals and sponsorships that you couldn’t get on your own
  • advises you on tax stuff
  • gets you fights at the right pay at the right time of your career
  • keeps out the distractions so you can focus on training
  • becomes your spokesman outside of the ring
  • builds your brand during the career
  • negotiates your pay to earn the highest possible

There are plenty of fighters like Mike Perry, Bhop, and a ton of others who could have used a good manager to maximize their earning potential. Successful fighters after they retire with millions in the bank usually had good management. A few fighters can pull it off but most can’t.

1 Like

1 Like

The GOAT of all managers

• got andre the giant his title match from Hogan who was ducking him all these years, just like tito ducking chuck
  • makes sure his clients win at all costs
  • lost plenty of teeth by sore losers
  • has a stable of HOF champions
3 Likes

Ray Allen fired his agent and negotiated his deal after NBA implemented max salaries and he was a max salary player. So contracts and negotiations at that point for such players were pretty simple. Also agents make like 4% of the contracts they broker.

In O’Malley’s case, I dont know that he would be able to maximize his pay. As much as Ali might be a detestable character here, him handling most of the top fighters and negotiating their contracts helps negotiate your contract. O’Malley probably doesnt know the details and whats in each fighters contract. And it doesnt benefit the UFC to share that with Sean. So Sean might be stuck on standard contracts while a manager/agent in the know would fight for more based on their knowledge of other fighter contracts.

There’s not too much negotiating involved with the UFC it’s more of a take it or leave it type approach. Yeah, he could potentially be making more from outside deals but probably not enough to justify the 20% at this stage.

I’ve always been surprised that so many UFC fighters have managers. If it was me, a personal assistant to take care of all the little day to day shit so you can focus on the task at hand would seem to make more sense.

I’d say this is true in major sports. Maybe not the ufc.

Wow big step up in competition. Maybe the reach might help but imo Yan smokes him

1 Like

I am actually a fan of Sean, but I see him being broke when his career is over

1 Like