"On the street it's still UFC 1"

YourFather posted this quote on another thread.

Do you agree that combat is like UFC 1?

Respectfully,

Gary Hughes

With more obstacles (i.e the ground, bar stools,cars, etc.)

bignightmare is correct.

UFC 1 also had rules, a referee, an enclosed safe area with padding, no weapons, no multiple opponents and no sneak attacks to name a few more.

So far, I'm not convinced!

Gary Hughes

In a way, you almost have to.....kind of. I'm guessing he meant is this:If you get into a scrap with average joe bar fighter, the most basic of the basic techniques will work well. Why stand and bang, when you can take him down and choke him out? The shit Royce used on guys back then wouldn't work on current ufc fighters. On the street, the average guy you'll run into won't have nearly the sub defense any trained mma guy will.

I looked at the rules very carefully and groin strikes were actually allowed til UFC 6 IIRC

Rickmassmma...against untrained fighters, Kenpo works nicely and I don't need to skin my knees or soil my clothes. Why stand and bang? Because it's what I do best and is also safest in the street. I would hate to be in mount when my opponent's friend(s) decides to attack me.

Gary Hughes

royce_gracie_armbar.png

There may be more tools at your disposal, but if you hit hard and fast, getting your average guy off his feet is no problem. Have you guys seen a bar fight recently? Every one I've seen is two guys throwing haymakers, with nobody really landing, then they both trip, and on rare occasions, one gets on top and pounds. Any time I've seen a trained fighter fight a slob, it's always the same...a punch or two, then when the other guy gets close, a strong clinch with a flurry of knees until the slob drops....and that's with a talented slob. Most fighters that get into a barfight/street fight know they have the guy outclassed, and choke the guy out.

Again, I'm guessing the original quote was about skill levels of street brawlers vs. trained guys

Gary-I was assuming 1 on 1. If there are freinds there, of course, stay on your feet.

And what I meant about royce not using the shit he used in ufc 1 against top guys now is that he won't do it so easily. An armbar works just as well now as it did back then, but the guys back then didn't know it was coming, or to look out for it....or even if they knew it was coming, they had no idea how to avoid it.

goku and fokket are both correct.

There was a Kenpo fighter, Keith Hackney that took advantage of the groin strikes against Joe San. Hackney was not able to defeat Royce Gracie, even with the groin as a target. As I recall at the time, Royce said that Hackney hit him harder than anyone else had. If Hackney had known how to sprawl, it could have been interesting.

Gary Hughes

Actually he did in UFC 4, I just watched it on TeeVee Man.

Rickmassmma posted: "And what I meant about royce not using the shit he used in ufc 1 against top guys now is that he won't do it so easily. An armbar works just as well now as it did back then, but the guys back then didn't know it was coming, or to look out for it....or even if they knew it was coming, they had no idea how to avoid it."

Good post.

No gis in the street either.

royce_gracie_vs_kimo.png

Uhm, UFC 1 had rounds.

it didn't

Fokket: UFC 1 had rounds, unlimited 5 minute rounds... You definately don't know your shit if you believe otherwise.

Just none of the matches went past 5 minutes.

"If you get into a scrap with average joe bar fighter, the most basic of the basic techniques will work well."

True.

"Why stand and bang, when you can take him down and choke him out?"

This depends on the previous training and strength of the individual. I've seen guys of all size that have 1 punch KO power( accuracy to the CHIN also ). So striking arts have tooled peeps in the streets.

Once again this a debate about TIME. Do people have time to develop basic striking enuf to stop sum1 from kicking their ass? I think some people will have natural striking...Jen Pulver for example started boxing late but soon as he started he was able to KO peeps. Frank Shamrock actually enjoys banging. But most average JOEs will give up EGO wise. They can't take the HITs( example: Real/Road Rule Challenges ) and turn their heads...giving up mentally. Grappling is easier on the body for most and simply innate due to adaptation of gross motor skills.

Although striking and KOing someone out is a great ability to have, I feel grappling arts are more adaptable for self defense because most people don't start off young or lack the size/power.

"UFC 1 had rounds, unlimited 5 minute rounds... You definately don't know your shit if you believe otherwise."

HUH??? The presentation of UFC 1 was awful...UFC 2 and 3 followed the same format and they didn't have rounds.

UFC 1 had rounds. None of the fights went to a second round, though.

At the beginning of UFC 2, they reference that they just got rid of rounds.

Hackney's sprawl defense against Royce in UFC 4 worked pretty well, but Hackney gassed.