"On the street it's still UFC 1"

Redskins fan is exactly correct.

Thanx Redskin fans...can't remember that far ago...by the way...GO DALLAS!!!

"NO GI's Either"
Not sure where you live Gary but even here in So Cal people walk around with clothes on. In the winter many people wear a jacket or sweatshirt. May not be the ideal gi but it sure is a good handle when fighting. I actually used a cross lapel choke in a bar fight. Guy was wearing a jean jacket tried to provoke me and told me to go outside, I told him I would rather stay in and choke him, I did.

HEMAN...you make some good points. I wasn't really referring to be able to have great stand up and be able to knock people out. It was more like be able to hit someone before they expected it with a very nasty strike, like an eye poke, etc.

OneSidedWar posted: "to compare UFC-1 to a streetfight would be like comparing an M80 firecracker to a Nuke. Nothing alike. period."

Nice analogy, I agree.

Yes I had my JKD training under Dan Mikesva( Vunak student ) and wing chun under Sifu Julian Sawyer( Cheung association )...the tactic of hit and run is debateble since I've seen peeps get blacken eyes with a right cross but still fight on because of instinct.
Once again there is no guarantee a eye strike will drop someone to his knees. But I do agree since u are a striker to hit the guy over and over and over till he drops.

The sport concept of wrestling/boxing helps because it teaches one to absorb strikes and not turn away. After learning these basic styles one can ADD on the dirty tactics.

Due to the male ego...we're not chicks and we don't carry mace unless u're a correctional officer or police officer. Would be a lot easier for US.

let me geek out here and specify from the ppv taped when it came out; UFC 1 actually had 5 5 minute rounds scheduled.

in mc-hiccup-mcNickles arena

royce_gracie_vs_keith_hackney.png

hackney_vs_yarborough.png

Yes all mma fighters magically lose their ability to fight as soon as they are under the uv rays of the sun.

molsonman...I don't think you understand what I'm saying here. I never implied MMA fighters would be someone to mess with. Training for MMA alone, will not prepare you completely for self defense.

Gary Hughes

Train in sprinting and Jiu Jitsu. If its 1 on 1 grapple, if its 2 on 1, run. lol

Beating 2 opponents isn't easy, but it can be done. Its just not the norm, and if both guys are hardasses your in a world of hurt.

Escape is the number one goal is it's multiple opponents. Unfortunately, you might not always have an avenue of escape.

there is nothing wrong or girly about carrying mace...i plan on getting some very soon actually. if some jerkoff comes at me with a baseball bat, im gonna blind him and then leave or hurt him...If 3 guys want to fight me and i cant get away...id much rather fight them if at least one of them was temporarily blind....but i do agree its pussy shit to mace someone in a one on one confrontation with no weapons.

Better to have and not need, than need and not have.

Carrying pepper spray/mace is a smart move. Imagine it...you train your ass off in a bunch of styles only to face three goons with weapons....

it is then that that $12 purchase of spray would make all the difference in the world.

SermonOfMockery...time to change the crowd you are hanging with. Thugs don't want their victims to fight back. Not fighting back to keep from getting hurt is very stupid advice, indeed.

You are correct about street fighting being different than the UFC, but wrong on most of the rest of your points. I do agree with your last statement.

You must have trained for many years in different styles to make the statements you make.

Gary Hughes

Pepper spray/mace can be useful, but I wouldn't rely on it. You also must be able to get it quickly or it is useless. Increase awareness must be practiced for you to have any chance. Pepper spray/mace can get in your eyes also. The pepper spray they used to sell to civilians in California, didn't have much spray in them and wouldn't help much with multiple opponents.

That is stupid to imply that you are a pussy for using pepper spray to DEFEND yourself from a street attack. Fight back like your life depends on it, because it does!

Gary Hughes

Just a quick point from a LEO perspective...

Most states have certain "requirements" to claim legal self-defense. 1) Duty to retreat--which means you have to at least attempt to leave the situation or be able to articulate why you could not leave without putting yourself in danger 2) You can only use as much force as what is used on you.

2 is very important to consider from a legal standpoint (not saying you shouldn't do what ever it takes, but you also need to plan on your personal self-defense AFTER an altercation and that means covering all your bases). If a guy tries to punch you and you take him down and choke him out, you have just used lethal force against a low class misdeamnor. If the guys pushes the issue, you will be charged accordingly (realize cops will usually arrest both and let the Prosecutor and attorneys figure out who did what in court) Or he tries to hit you and you take him down and then arm bar and break his arm or ankle lock him and tear something on him, again you have jumped way up on what he was doing and your response, you would likely be charged with assault with intent to do great bodily harm less than murder (that's what's it's called in Michigan at least).

Again, if you are going to use these techniques you had better talk to a lawyer before hand and figure out how they fit into the situations you are most likely to face and you better be able to articulate why you used those techniques and articulate how a "reasonable person" would have also come to the same conclusion as you to do so.

This is why it is sometimes better to stand and strike than take it to the ground and "submit" him.

As a side note, I was involved with a case in which "X" ran into "Y"'s house after they got into a fight in the yard and jumped on his back from behind and took Y down and was trying to choke him out. While X was on Y's back, Y's 16 yr old girlfriend ran up behind him and put about 15 holes into X's back because she thought X was trying to kill him.

You never know who might be standing around that doesn't understand what you are trying to do when you are choking someone out even if you do and might jump in to try and save the other guys life because they think you are trying to kill him.

Punisher73...good info, thanks.

first ufc did have rounds. none of the matches went far though. The ref in the first ufc is a bjj guy that was using leglocks before they were popular.