"On the street it's still UFC 1"

Arachnoid...there are several huge differences.  The biggest one might be just being started by a referee and not sucker punched.

"Just none of the matches went past 5 minutes." Ah,that would explain it. Another similarity between street fights,they rarely last very long; it's usually over very quickly.

"they will usually surround you, then one dude will hit you from behind with brass knuckles, then everyone else joins in. i don't remember any of that happening in UFC 1."

If Hackneys posse had tried that with Royce they would´ve all got sodomized by the Gracie train. Jiu Jitsu guys have friends, frinends that know how to fight (unlike most Karatekas it seems). When one of the Gracies got a Q about multiple opponents he just said: "Against multiple opponents I have multiple brothers"...

"No gis in the street either."

Right Gary, but as ive always said theres no speedo's in the street unless your on the beach in Rio or a gay bathhouse.

***Edited to explain that ive never been in a gay bathhouse...really...im not kidding goddman it!

"Against multiple opponents I have multiple brothers..." LOL! That's a good one.

Which one was that?........had to be either Royce or Renzo.

When did choking someone out - strictly speaking a strangle - that should take a few seconds to apply with the person recovering quickly but allowing you to leave become "lethal force?" Further, if you are by yourself, a choke leaves no evidence. The person is not injured. Punching, kicking or radically hyper-extending joints most often leaves evidence of the force used.

We are not all as fortunate to have as many talented fighting brothers as the Gracies.  I love that quote.

Magnus....A choke can be fatal if you don't release it.  A defense attorney could try to make it appear that you were trying to kill the person.  You would have to be able to explain your intentions. 

Here we go again (rolling eyes).

UFC any of them is probably closer to a street fight than any other MA competition.

But its still a sporting competition.

There are rules, there are referees and its all done to keep the fighters safe.

You can extrapolate some useful things from the results of the various UFCs. But we have to recognize that it was a contrived situation.

In general if you have more skill and/or better luck than your opponent then it doesn't matter what either of you train.

Mark

"On the other hand UFC 1 was anything but similar to a street fight. Leg locks like Ken Shamrock's on Pat Smith or guys rolling like in the Ken shamrock - Royce Gracie fight ending up in a choke is competely unrealistic in a street fight. Even if the average Joe on the street had those skills, it just wouldn't work on the street."

Agreed with your other post except this one. Bouncers and police officers have choke out numerous drunks. The heel hook is sumthang Bas has used in the past and I did it once on basketball court.

A BJJ practioner to make him street effective will need to cross train with WRESTLING. He/she needs to develop the SPRINT mindset of a wrestler...I do not like the FLOP TO THE GUARD stragedy that Royce used in the early UFC's...and agree this would be detremental in the street.

Hi folks

SermonOfMockery wrote:

"what juszczec said"

Although I love being agreed with, I gotta argue with your advice to lie down and take it if you get jumped by a bunch of thugs.

LIKE HELL I WILL.

I'll be damned if I LET someone hurt me. I may get hurt but I'm gonna be damn sure to make it as difficult and painful as possible for any attackers.

Never give up. Never say die.

Mark

Hi folks

mike greenwood asked:

"Sam Pai,

Where do you live/work that you find yourself in need of such a focus on self-defense? "

If doesn't matter. Bad guys can travel.

Also SPK's attitude is common among anyone who started MA training, even back in the mid 80s when I started. The only reason to do MA - any kind of MA, was to be able to fight. Sure there are extra benefits and blah blah blah, but MA training gave you and edge when someone tried to hurt you.

Mark

The only similarity is the potential skill level of the fighters.

juszczec is correct.

Sermon of Mockery...how can you say it doesn't matter what you do?  If you don't fight back, you have no chance.  If you fight back, you chances increase according to how well prepared you are.

Gary Hughes

MikeGreenwood posted:

"Sam Pai,

Where do you live/work that you find yourself in need of such a focus on self-defense?"

I live in the state of reality.  

By keeping his head in the sand, the ostrich is not aware of the danger that is around him. 

Gary Hughes

MartialArtsfan posted:

"in the street you don't wear a cup"

Are you serious, I thought everyone wore a cup all day, everyday, like I do, LOL!

Gary Hughes

Lethal force as defined at least in Michigan follows along the lines of "any action that is likely or could likely cause great bodily harm and/or death". Choking fits that description.

Also, in Michigan for LEO to use a choke it has to be a lethal force situation and cops have more room in the legal realm of using force (cops can use more force to subdue, not equal force. Also, no duty to retreat like a normal citizen).

http://jenningscc.com/TaeKwonDo/SelfDefenseLaw.htm

Hackney was a strong dude. Did you see him curling with the 45 pound plates?

I believe it's the individual then the art, and how the person adapts and uses it into their own.