"On the street it's still UFC 1"

Seems like a significant percentage of the fights discussed occured in bars. Solution: Stop going to bars. Secondary solution: Stop going to parties where there is drinking and/or drugs. Seems real simple.

If you don't want to get shot then maybe stop dealing drugs.

Real basic.

rna

Might not be exactly accurate, but nobody on the street it gonna drag you towards the fence and work for a cut either.

"Training for MMA alone, will not prepare you completely for self defense."

The reality of the situation is that nothing will completely prepare you for all aspects of self defence. The question is what approach is best given limited time and the wide variety of situations one could encounter. Surely an approach that requires extreme athleticism, a cool head and covers stand up, clinching and the ground would be the way to go. This approach is called MMA.

Streetfights are more like UFC1 (well, more like #2) than the current events, but it's still a LONG way off. The average joe on the street might be a tiny bit more aware of takedowns as a result of MMA fighting, but in general I think you'll find that against the average person you could still likely use a "footstomp/leg takedown and pound someone until they turn over into a choke" approach. If you're a good striker, you can use your standing skills to beat the average joe much like you could back then, too. I'd personally take the grappling route in many situations (knowing my luck I'd get tagged by a haymaker), but there's a time and place to throw down and either take 'em out or make 'em back off.

I think the main thing about streetfights is that weapons, clothes, 3rd parties, surroundings, etc. are all going to be vastly different. Do you think the average joe is a charging sumo? What about a shootwrestler trying to break your leg? Kevin Rosier might be the kind of guy you'd encounter, though :)

You really can't simulate a streetfight in a sporting environment. You can train for very specific and isolated situations, but real life is always going to be a LITTLE different.

One thing that IS a little similar to UFC 1-4 (sans the trained fighters) would be a set-up fight amongst high school kids. Most of the ones I witnessed were pretty much like that. There wasn't a 'ref' but someone usually kept someone from getting in a cheap shot or using a weapon or something.

I am sure because you are on pavement it is impossible to fight from you back lol

Oh yeah and chokes/throws/locks/mounts/across side/knees on the ground/punches from the mount/elbows from the mount all DON'T work once you leave the mat lol yeah right

Magnus...with only MMA training you would have several gaps in your training.  It's great training, but you also need self defense techniques for common attacks or what I call committed attacks.

I understand why people say stay on your feet: hard surfaces, multiple attackers, etc., but my experience is that you can control things on the ground unless you're facing another skilled grappler. On the feet, facing a frenzied, charging, striking attack, anything can happen. Size and aggresiveness often swamps skill. I've seen it happen outside of bars and I've seen it happen in many MMA events, when the better striker gets knocked out. A go-for-broke fight, that is going to end in 2 minutes, max, doesn't look like a boxing/kickboxing match.

As for eye gouges, you're going to have an easier time pulling that off on the ground. I'm dubious of eye attacks and any striking that has a target smaller than the face.

My opinion, the best street art is judo. And this is from a boxing/bjj guy whose never trained judo and never will.

Though they are not the fighters/athletes we have now, the fighters in UFC 1 were still trained fighters.
Not every guy/girl you encounter in a street fight will be...

Your Father is still Our Bitch.

Lite, there are many ways to attack the eyes.  There are pokes, rakes and claws.  It's a lot easier to land them than you think, if you have some good training.