Opinions on Tabata

Hey guys, just wanted to know peoples opinions on Tabata. Totally understand if no-one knows what I'm talking about as I only found out about it a few weeks ago lol.

Intense interval training that lasts for only 4 minutes... Sounds like heaven!

Thanks in advance!

- Sam

Overdone these days and in no way a replacement for building a base level of ability through LSD training.

This guy had some good results in a single study with limited participants by varying their training thusly. All of a sudden, it's the rage all over the internet.

And here we go again....

KarmaMMA - Hey guys, just wanted to know peoples opinions on Tabata. Totally understand if no-one knows what I'm talking about as I only found out about it a few weeks ago lol.

Intense interval training that lasts for only 4 minutes... Sounds like heaven!

Thanks in advance!

- Sam

Interval training is great, but you'll never be able to duplicate Tabata's study. Lyle McDonald has an article explaining why.

Google "Taku's intervals".

The funniest part about all those who think that Tabata's are all you need for cardio, is the fact that Tabata had his athletes do the work at the END of their speed skating practices. So, after already speed skating multiple kilometers a day, he had them do the interval work.

Tabatas are a good tool to have in the kit, but they are just part of the overall cardiovascular fitness picture.

If done right...can no defense!

TAKU T.N.T.

Someone already mentioned it tabatas are more intended as a finisher after your workout not a program.

Dogmeat 1 - to add to the problem few of the people on either side of the argument are actually familiar with Dr Tabata's study at all. Dr Tabata never pushed the idea that athletes should only do cardio for 4 minutes a day. His study merely showed that high intensity interval training can be effective for developing endurance. The 4 minute training session used in his study was never intended to be the sole focus of an athletes endurance training

when people refer to tabata training they mostly refer to the bastardized version found in countless online training sites, especially crossfit. The reason being that lazy non-athletes are easily suckered in by the prospect of not having to cardio for extended sessions. however these workouts often miss the fact that HIIT sessions are generally supposed to last from 10~20 minutes with work sets being performed at 100% effort. Go on to youtube and watch some crossfit tabata sessions and you'll see many people pacing themselves so they can get higher overall crossfit scores rather than going full out each set.

HIIT is only effective when performed with the correct intensity and few of the people on the HIIT/tabata bandwagon actually train that way. In my own experience the best my cardio has ever been was when I was doing a combination of HIIT (mostly sprint variations) and lots of heavy sparring. No other cardio. neither LSD+sparring or LSD alone produced anywhere near as good results but it is mentally very demanding.

^^^^ This. Great points!

Great posts guys, very informative. Phone Post

Many thanks for your replies you guys, highly in depth information and ideas you've shared in the subject. Phone Post

Well, Tabatha was pretty cute, but as TV witches go, I think I would have preferred to have fucked prime Shannon Doherty (Charmed) then Tabatha (Bewitched) 10 times out of 10.

Also, the Tabata protocol has you working out at 190% of V02 max. If you're going to follow the tabata protocol, I hope you have access to a metabolic cart, ergocycle and gas monitor.

It's only 4 minutes long because that's about the total volume folks can handle before shitting their intestines out of their ears. Still sound like heaven? :)

http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/dept/coachsci/csa/vol41/tabata.htm

Go here:  www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml

ttt

TEOMOFE - Well, Tabatha was pretty cute, but as TV witches go, I think I would have preferred to have fucked prime Shannon Doherty (Charmed) then Tabatha (Bewitched) 10 times out of 10.

Also, the Tabata protocol has you working out at 190% of V02 max. If you're going to follow the tabata protocol, I hope you have access to a metabolic cart, ergocycle and gas monitor.

It's only 4 minutes long because that's about the total volume folks can handle before shitting their intestines out of their ears. Still sound like heaven? :)

Alyssa Milano was way hotter.

^^F'ing TRUTH

TEOMOFE - Well, Tabatha was pretty cute, but as TV witches go, I think I would have preferred to have fucked prime Shannon Doherty (Charmed) then Tabatha (Bewitched) 10 times out of 10.

Tabatha was the baby on Bewitched. You better be more interested in Shannon Doherty from Charmed.