Oscar De La Hoya

John Avila. Oscar De La Hoya wins by TKO Rd 9. 10-12-94

John John Molina. Oscar wins a unanimous decision against a very live competitor. Oscar w by TKO rd 9. 10-12-94

Rafael Ruelas. Oscar wins by TKO Rd 2 against one of Dan Goosen's famous fighting Ruelas brothers. 05-06-95

Genaro Hernandez. De la Hoya w when Hernandez retires in 6. 9-9-95. Genaro gained notoriety for beating the great Azumah "the professor" Nelson earlier in his career. Interestingly, Hernandez finished his career by quitting in a very similar fashion after being outclassed by a young Floyd Mayweather Jr. who was enroute to his first title win in 1998.

Jesse James Leija. Oscar beats Leija, a very good fighter, when Leija is apparently unable to answer the count after a knockdown. 12-15-95

Darryl Tyson. Oscar wins by KO in Rd 2. 02-09-96. George Foreman's absolute public adornment of Oscar begins.

Julio Cesar Chavez. Oscar was already a big star, but this was his first ppv mega fight. If Oscar was already unpopular with many Mexican fans for lacking machismo, embarassing a true legend of the ring in JC Superstar made many absolutely loathe him. I saw this fight on closed circuit in a large arena, and the place damn near erupted in a riot. 06-07-96

Miguel Angel Gonzalez. Oscar wins a dominant unanimous decision. 01-18-97. Proof you can't always tell who won a fight by how the look after the conclusion. Oscar wins easily, but looks like hell.

Pernell "Sweet Pea" Whitaker. Oscar wins a bitterly disputed unanimous decision. 04-12-97. A good demonstration on how boxing scoring (even when untainted by corruption) is very subjective. 04-12-97

David Kamau. Oscar wins by KO rd 2 in an easy fight. 06-14-97

Hector "Macho" Camacho. De La Hoya wins by unanimous decision 09-13-97. Interesting tidbit, Oscar bet Camacho that if he (Oscar) won, Camacho would have to cut off his Superman curl. Camacho agreed, but after the fight declined to cut his hair telling a reporter "I ain't giving him shit."

09-13-97

Wilfredo Rivera. Oscar wins by TKO rd 8. 12-06-97

VTFU OP. we need more career threads Phone Post 3.0

Patrick Charpentier. ODLH w by TKO rd 3. 06-13-98

Julio Cesar Chavez. Fight is stopped for De la Hoya in Rd 8 after Chavez retires on his stool. JC falls to a record of 100-3-2!

Ike "Bazooka" Quartey. Oscar wins a split decision in a total thriller. Although I thought Quartey did enough to get the nod, Oscar fought like a champion in rd 12 and nearly stopped Ike. Ike, a former Olympian from a family with 27 kids, would go on to have an epic battle with Fernado Vargas. Fight is reffed by Mitch Halpurn, the outstanding ref who also officiated Tyson vs Holyfield I, who late committed suicide.

Oba Carr. Oscar finishes spectacularly against a very good boxer. 05-22-99

great thread

Felix "Tito" Trinidad. In a truly strange fight, Oscar dominates early and then, quite literally runs away from Tito in the last part of the fight. Trinidad wins a questionable and ultimately disappointing showdown of two phenomenal fighters in their prime. 09-18-99

Oscar was my favorite fighter in the day.... I always thought he won that first Trinidad fight. Phone Post 3.0