Out of shape instructors/trainers

Randy Marsh - 
shen -

I've said it before, but... I won't train with ANY instructor who isn't cut.  If I don't like what I see, I simply won't pay attention. Period.

A swimmer's build is cool, but I generally like to see a bit muscle on an instructor. That's what bugs me about Ryron & Rener Gracie; they need to focus more on the pecs.

Saulo too is a decent teacher BUT to be a great teacher, he needs to work on ab definition. --Get that shit chiseled!

BTW, a killer smile doesn't hurt either.  Just being real.

Every time I see you post something like this on a thread like this it makes el oh el mad hard. Yaaaaaaaay!!!!! Phone Post 3.0

y u laughing? i think this is a serious shen thread . :)

BigEyedFish - 

Im pretty big on BJJ instructors setting examples for students and being ambassadors of the art.  I think that a big part of it is being in shape and resembling the BJJ message and all that comes with it.  

Do you even LIFESTYLE, bra?

TheBearStare - Wasnt Carlson out of shape like crazy? Btt fucking trained under him. Phone Post 3.0

Carlson developed diabetes later in his life.

Kneeblock - 

No one on this board could beat Roy Nelson in a grappling match.

or an eating competition

Not everyone can be a Gracie diet fanatic. Some of my favorite trainers are fat and out of shape. They even smoke cigarettes too. Nbd though, knowledge is knowledge.

Who gives a fuck what they look like or what they eat for lunch ... can they teach? Phone Post 3.0

thebasher - 
Kneeblock - 

No one on this board could beat Roy Nelson in a grappling match.

or an eating competition

Those people are often skinny, the fat gets in the way of stomach expansion. Google "Sonya Thomas".

Snoozhitsu - I think a lot of it cones down to how young an art BJJ is on a worldwide scale. People still think of coaches as competitors - that they should be able to "defend the mat" etc.

In a few decades many top coaches will be old, fat, crippled with arthritis, but their mind, their attitude and their coaching skills will be undiminished.

Nice. You win the internet today.

This thread should be taken down for its obvious fat shaming. However, I can't learn anything from a big boned or hefty coach. If he isn't jacked, I won't be memorized by his physique, if I'm not memorized, I just can't pay attention. Phone Post 3.0

BigEyedFish -

Im pretty big on BJJ instructors setting examples for students and being ambassadors of the art.  I think that a big part of it is being in shape and resembling the BJJ message and all that comes with it.  

I.....wait...wat? Phone Post 3.0

The fat coach will have a hard sell on the fitness aspects to new students Phone Post 3.0

As alder said i guess it was a bit of fat shaming.

But i raised the question because i wanted to know how people felt about having instructors who are in a position of authority, who influence kids minds and perceptions of body image.

It just irks me that there are parents who feed their kids chocolate donuts at 7 in the morning. Seriously obese parents with no muscle tone at all who are role models for their kids. That to me as lemon said is laziness.

Anyway I'm not talking about Carlson gracie who obviously has great pedigree.

I guess seeing as most posters here are from America then being larger is quite normal and an everyday thing then it's all fine and well to have a fat instructor

There are many PROFESSIONAL trainers that are fat in kickboxing,mma,soccer,gymnastics... pretty much everything.

The key word is professional trainer, proven track record.

If you talking about the fat karate teacher guys who can't run to the local shop without dying...

No those guys are just fat frauds who know katas.

Professionalism means being professional in all aspects and if you are in the fitness industry. It encompasses everything.

But from the responses here it seems the vast majority of people don't give a shit who teaches them.

I think Diego Maradona is as round as a soccer ball, but I'd take a soccer lesson from him.

I think the thing is that you have to know the background. Why are they out of shape..chronic pain or injuries that limit them? What were they like in their prime? Were they so good that it justifies their condition now? It's definitely something that I'd give consideration and want to put into some context.

My instructor is fat and out of shape but he is a fantastic grappler. Do wish he would get back into shape because he would be happier and therefore an even better instructor then he already is Phone Post 3.0

dojo stormer - Professionalism means being professional in all aspects and if you are in the fitness industry. It encompasses everything.

But from the responses here it seems the vast majority of people don't give a shit who teaches them.

Do you even work out bro!?

LinkBJJ603 - some people are born to compete athletically and others to coach, rarely both (but awesome when that happens)

look at Bill Bellicheck, could he play football hell no but will anyone ever question his ability to caoch the game hell no.

IMO coaching and teaching is a gift that not everyone has the capability of doing it successfully.
Perfectly put Phone Post 3.0

Alder Hampel - This thread should be taken down for its obvious fat shaming. However, I can't learn anything from a big boned or hefty coach. If he isn't jacked, I won't be memorized by his physique, if I'm not memorized, I just can't pay attention. Phone Post 3.0
To memorize someone's physique you'd have to stare at it long. And hard. Very, very hard.

To memorize it.

Memorize. Phone Post 3.0

omoplautistic - 
Alder Hampel - This thread should be taken down for its obvious fat shaming. However, I can't learn anything from a big boned or hefty coach. If he isn't jacked, I won't be memorized by his physique, if I'm not memorized, I just can't pay attention. Phone Post 3.0
To memorize someone's physique you'd have to stare at it long. And hard. Very, very hard.

To memorize it.

Memorize. Phone Post 3.0

I've been auto corrected :(