Out of shape instructors/trainers

Here's more food for thought...

Maybe the heavier instructor who likes to pig out spent the bulk of his life dieting and competing...now he's older and wants tons of hot chips...

So what, right? Doesn't change his jiu jitsu right? At least it doesn't for those that reached that stage of emotional development... Phone Post 3.0

I'm not fat btw...

I'm built like a brick shit house... Phone Post 3.0

porra - Here's more food for thought...

Maybe the heavier instructor who likes to pig out spent the bulk of his life dieting and competing...now he's older and wants tons of hot chips...

So what, right? Doesn't change his jiu jitsu right? At least it doesn't for those that reached that stage of emotional development... Phone Post 3.0

not sure why you needed 11 posts to make your point but to me, it is not aabout 'dieting and competing'.  People who embrace the totality of jiu jitsu is, meaning the healthy eating lifestyle, dont have to worry about fluctuating body weight or "diets".  You either live a healthy lifestyle or you dont.  Its not about dieting when you need to. Its about eating clean and training often. 

I cheat when I want to but its ok because 85% of my diet is good.  I want my students who come to my school to see my physical benefits, and the transformations that my students have made (because there has been many). Its good for them, its good for my school, and its good for jiu jitsu.  

BigEyedFish -

not sure why you needed 11 posts to make your point but to me, it is not aabout 'dieting and competing'.  People who embrace the totality of jiu jitsu is, meaning the healthy eating lifestyle, dont have to worry about fluctuating body weight or "diets".  You either live a healthy lifestyle or you dont.  Its not about dieting when you need to. Its about eating clean and training often. 

I cheat when I want to but its ok because 85% of my diet is good.  I want my students who come to my school to see my physical benefits, and the transformations that my students have made (because there has been many). Its good for them, its good for my school, and its good for jiu jitsu.  

It was only 6 posts :-D

For some reason my dumb iPhone won't let me post big paragraphs...so I break it up.

We will agree to disagree I guess...

For what's it's worth though...

I live a pretty healthy lifestyle too...

I just don't understand what it has to do with others learning from me.

But I do accept the fact that most people need to learn nutrition and jiu jitsu from someone who looks the part...I just think it's a sign of immaturity...from an emotional development standpoint. Phone Post 3.0

I apologize if them comes across as offensive. I'm aware I may be wrong...

To each his own. Phone Post 3.0

BigEyedFish - 

I tend to agree with this. There is a line between guys who are built like houses and guys who are at or above 300 lbs. there becomes a point where you can't blame genetics and its a blatant lack of discipline. That's not to say they can't be extremely knowledgeable, but I'm gonna give my money to someone who has lots of knowledge AND the discipline to live a healthy lifestyle. It's not one or the other.

There is a diff between fat and lazy. I think by fat he's also implying lazy. Phone Post 3.0

shen - 

I've said it before, but... I won't train with ANY instructor who isn't cut.  If I don't like what I see, I simply won't pay attention. Period.

A swimmer's build is cool, but I generally like to see a bit muscle on an instructor. That's what bugs me about Ryron & Rener Gracie; they need to focus more on the pecs.

Saulo too is a decent teacher BUT to be a great teacher, he needs to work on ab definition. --Get that shit chiseled!

BTW, a killer smile doesn't hurt either.  Just being real.

lmfao!

Wasnt Carlson out of shape like crazy? Btt fucking trained under him. Phone Post 3.0

Is this prodigy ? Phone Post 3.0

As a some what chubby guy, I realize that limits my game. I've lost 160lbs though just still look chubby. Should people not learn from me? (Only a purple belt just saying) Phone Post 3.0

WARRIOR POET -

dude, you fucking name ins "dojo stormer" and you come on the internet to complain about fatass instructors who are RIGHT BESIDE you?????

lol, i suggest a name change to "dojo miley ray cyrus"

sorry, tough love

:P

You just made me bust out laughing in B-Dubs. Thanks asshole! VTFU Phone Post 3.0

OP is away eating hot chips

Out of shape and fat are not attractive in a coach.

But to me the bottom line is can they coach? Particularly older guys.

I trained with Carlson for the last 4 years of his life. He had gained some weight and probably was not in good shape.

But he was the best teacher i ever had.

Would you pass on Carlson because he liked Chipotle and Starbuckee too much?!

some people are born to compete athletically and others to coach, rarely both (but awesome when that happens)

look at Bill Bellicheck, could he play football hell no but will anyone ever question his ability to caoch the game hell no.

IMO coaching and teaching is a gift that not everyone has the capability of doing it successfully.

Given the chance to learn from a legend in the sport, said athlete politely declined, unimpressed with this coach's post-career build and work ethic. 

Talking noise about sir Charles Phone Post 3.0

LinkBJJ603 - some people are born to compete athletically and others to coach, rarely both (but awesome when that happens)

look at Bill Bellicheck, could he play football hell no but will anyone ever question his ability to caoch the game hell no.

IMO coaching and teaching is a gift that not everyone has the capability of doing it successfully.

VTFU!

Folks in BJJ dont put enough emphasis in good coaching. They can confuse good rolling ability with teaching skills.

Aaron Lapointe - 

Given the chance to learn from a legend in the sport, said athlete politely declined, unimpressed with this coach's post-career build and work ethic. 

Sir Charles is still the MAN.

Anyone who dominated the rebounding game while standing under 6'5" knew somethng about the game.

I think a lot of it cones down to how young an art BJJ is on a worldwide scale. People still think of coaches as competitors - that they should be able to "defend the mat" etc.

In a few decades many top coaches will be old, fat, crippled with arthritis, but their mind, their attitude and their coaching skills will be undiminished.