Pacquiao on Mayweather

"And what will PBF do if Pac loses? Will he face any of the top WWs then?"

I have no doubt he will jump at the chance to fight Pac if Pac loses.

I'm surprised Manny is the favorite against Cotto, I'm having some trouble picturing him winning this one.

PoundforPound - If we're going just by 24/7 specials, he said on the last one that everything is paid for. And that he and the IRS have no problems.

Could be lying of course.

But if he owed $6.2 million I'm sure he could pay that off easily based on what he made for the Marquez fight.

You'd THINK so, P4P. But look at all the boxers who've made millions and are broke. Floyd fits the type to a hilt.

I don't buy the whole 'i do it for my fans' shtick anyway. it's bullshit.

if you're doing it for the fans, why are you asking for millions to do it?

Listen i like manny. i like his heart, his dedication, his consideration for others and his values, but this bullshit of 'i do it for the fans' is a crock. if you ARE doing it for the fans, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. People say that shit hoping to come off good. fighting is about combat, and competition. the fans are ancillary. and people should just man up and live with that.

FloridaStriker - how is the relevant to MMA?
The winner is fighting BJ Penn.

humphrey sphinctermuscle - I don't buy the whole 'i do it for my fans' shtick anyway. it's bullshit.

if you're doing it for the fans, why are you asking for millions to do it?

Listen i like manny. i like his heart, his dedication, his consideration for others and his values, but this bullshit of 'i do it for the fans' is a crock. if you ARE doing it for the fans, you're doing it for the wrong reasons. People say that shit hoping to come off good. fighting is about combat, and competition. the fans are ancillary. and people should just man up and live with that.

Fighting pro is really about making money and Manny is probably the most successful part of the Phillippine economy -- in addition to being its biggest hero. His comments aren't really surprising in light of that. He's got about 80 million people on his shoulders.

TH

FloridaStriker - how is the relevant to MMA?

Boxing is one facet of MMA and this thread is about two of the best boxing practitioners in the world.

Kind of like how BJJ is only one facet of MMA yet we'll see threads on this forum about the Mundials or what not.

Does that clear it up for you?

jaseprobst - You'd THINK so, P4P. But look at all the boxers who've made millions and are broke. Floyd fits the type to a hilt.

That he does.

Though I'm pulling for Cotto, i have nothing but respect for Pacquiao and won't mind if he wins. I'm sure he'll be exciting if he does (unlike Mayweather, whose PPVs ve. DLH and Marquez were awful to watch).

To me one of the interesting subplots is this -- with his current nemesis Bob Arum promoting Pac Man, how will purse negotiations for a Floyd-Pac Man bout go if Pacquiao looks spectacular? THAT will really be interesting. I can't imagine either guy taking the smaller purse, and Pac Man really would have a good argument if he smashes Cotto. Ultimately there's probably too much money on the table for either party to walk away (especially with Floyd's money problems) but that's an interesting subplot.

I'm hoping if Pac Man wins, he looks good doing it. If it's a decision that isn't particularly clear-cut, you can bet Floyd will trash Cotto's skills and Pac Man's and want a ridiculous split.

manny is goina walk through cotto as he would to mayweather to, manny very unorthodox , very agressive, no way in a million years mayweather beats manny, mayweather needs a slow passive boxer to fight

I think it speaks highly of these guys that their homelands think so highly of them, and less so for Mayweather that the US hasn't warmed to him.

But he's a great fighter for sure, who I'd favor vs anyone at 147 -- Pac included. Got to disagree with Probst too -- I actually was basically in awe watching the Marquez bout. What a performance that was. Floyd kept a future hall-of-famer, a guy who took Pac to the limit 2x ... to something like less than 10 punches a round.

My guess is it will be quick KO by Pac or Cotto finds his jab, gets to work on the body, and takes it late. But honestly, nothing would surprise me. Neither guy has seen anything like the other in the ring. I love Cotto, but it worries me watching that Judah fight and seeing him open to those left straights and uppercuts.

TH

hackett - I think it speaks highly of these guys that their homelands think so highly of them, and less so for Mayweather that the US hasn't warmed to him.

But he's a great fighter for sure, who I'd favor vs anyone at 147 -- Pac included. Got to disagree with Probst too -- I actually was basically in awe watching the Marquez bout. What a performance that was. Floyd kept a future hall-of-famer, a guy who took Pac to the limit 2x ... to something like less than 10 punches a round.

My guess is it will be quick KO by Pac or Cotto finds his jab, gets to work on the body, and takes it late. But honestly, nothing would surprise me. Neither guy has seen anything like the other in the ring. I love Cotto, but it worries me watching that Judah fight and seeing him open to those left straights and uppercuts.

TH

Hackett, were you really in awe with what PBF did against JMM? I wasn't surprised at all. I think it was the outcome virtually everyone expected.

JMM has traditionally looked terrible against non-agressive counterpunchers, which is the definition of Mayweather's style. His bouts against Freddie Norwood and Derrick Gainer were awful. PBF's showing against him was one of the more pre-ordained outcomes I've ever seen. It was definitely "styles make fights." Plus with the massive weight jump, it wasn't like JMM had the style to over come it. I thought that entire showing was blah, because it showed me nothing except that Floyd could outbox a lesser version of himself moving up a ton in weight.

I still would pick Floyd to beat Pac Man but what irritates me is Floyd would never mention Margarito or Williams when he was more active. Turned down $8 million for Antonio. And Floyd supporters continue to push the myth that Mosley ducked him. That is so laughable. It's like Floyd's trying to get credit for fights that never happened when he won't face the best in his division (welter).

Yeah, I was very surprised. Hindsight's 20/20, but I think most of us thought this was a much more even match than what we ended up seeing.

I don't disagree that there's a lot of unwarrented hype for Floyd and that he hasn't taken a lot of great fights. But, I also think nobody's beating the guy.

I loved Cotto's quote to the effect of, "after I knock out Pacquiao they can fight." He's given up on getting Floyd to fight him; kinda like you :)

TH

Korpiklaani - manny is goina walk through cotto as he would to mayweather to, manny very unorthodox , very agressive, no way in a million years mayweather beats manny, mayweather needs a slow passive boxer to fight

You are high. JMM timed and counterpunched Pacman with ease.

Floyd is the best counter puncher in the game and is stronger and faster than JMM. He puts Pacman in a world of hurt and never opens up wild to leave himself open as JMM did.

Floyds defense is second to none. I seriously think Manny has nothing to offer Floyd. He loses bad.

jaseprobst - And Floyd supporters continue to push the myth that Mosley ducked him. That is so laughable.

That's not a myth.

Larry Merchant asked Mosley in a post-fight interview about fighting Floyd.

And Shane came up with some bs about how he couldn't do it because his tooth hurt and because he had a vacation coming up.

Mosley supporters will excuse this by saying that Shane most likely didn't want to get in the way of Oscar De La Hoya possibly fighting Floyd himself. But the fact remains that Merchant threw it out there and Shane pulled a dick tuck.

Mayweather is basically the Machida of boxing. But instead of doing the whole TMA "I try not to get hit" thing, Mayweather just plays the bad guy when bloodthirsty fans complain about his defensive style. There is no slicker boxing today than Mayweather.

fuck paquao.. mayweather is gonna beat his ass

Mayweather is afraid, and rightfully so.

TTT for Pacman.

Mayweather doesn't even belong in the consideration for best fighter in his weight class, let alone p4p. He has not fough Mosley, Cotto, Margarito or Williams. And now you have Pacman moving up.

For that matter, nobody wants to fight Paul Williams. He needs to take Taylors spot in the supersix to have any chance of fighting the top fighters he deserves to face.

Mayweather's a douche bag. /End Thread

PoundforPound - 
jaseprobst - And Floyd supporters continue to push the myth that Mosley ducked him. That is so laughable.

That's not a myth.

Larry Merchant asked Mosley in a post-fight interview about fighting Floyd.

And Shane came up with some bs about how he couldn't do it because his tooth hurt and because he had a vacation coming up.

Mosley supporters will excuse this by saying that Shane most likely didn't want to get in the way of Oscar De La Hoya possibly fighting Floyd himself. But the fact remains that Merchant threw it out there and Shane pulled a dick tuck.

Well wasn't and isn't Oscar Shane's promotional boss?

If your employee was in the way of a $30 million payday, wouldn't you tell him to get the fuck OUT of the way of it and stay clear?

Yeah, Mosley ducked Floyd. Right. The same Mosley who fought Vernon Forrest and Winky Wright when A)nobody would touch them and they were at their peaks and B)after they beat him when nobody would want a rematch. Except him.

The same Mosley that's been down once in his career and went after Margarito after Margarito decimated Cotto, looking unbeatable.

I don't believe it.