Perfect push-ups and sit-ups

Are these legit ways to work out or just a crappy fad?

i like using the Perfect Pushup bars from time to time...i think for anyone who does a lot of pushups (fighters, military), they're nice because a) they're a lot harder b) easier on the shoulders and elbows c) something different

I hate to give this super gay reply...

But I like to think push ups are push ups, sit ups are sit ups and anything that costs money to execute these two movements is unnecessary.

BrutalMedic - I hate to give this super gay reply...

But I like to think push ups are push ups, sit ups are sit ups and anything that costs money to execute these two movements is unnecessary.

good point, actually.

those pieces of equipment are not neccessary, and aren't really gonna change one's results that much. if you have the extra cash and/or bored with what you're doing, then it's worth trying them out..

Research has shown that there is no difference between doing a regular Pull-up and a "Perfect Pull-up"

Surface Electromyographical Activation Patterns and Elbow Joint Motion During a Pull Up, Chin Up or Perfect Pull Up Rotational Exercise

JAMES W. YOUDAS, COLLIER L. AMUNDSON, KYLE S. CICERO, JUSTIN J. HAHN, DAVID T. HAREZLAK, AND JOHN H. HOLLMAN

Purpose: Compared a conventional pull-up and chin-up with a rotational exercise using the Perfect Pull up device with twisting handles. 

Conclusions: No differences were detected between the Perfect Pull up device with twisting handles and the conventional pull-up and chin-up exercises. The Perfect Pull up rotational device does not appear to enhance muscular recruitment when compared to the conventional pull-up or chin-up.

IN PLAIN ENGLISH: No magical exercises exist.  A lot of things work provided you work as hard as possible.

TAKU

Taku -  Research has shown that there is no difference between doing a regular Pull-up and a "Perfect Pull-up"

<div><font size="3" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" color="000000"><font size="3" face="Georgia" color="#000000"><u><strong>Surface Electromyographical Activation Patterns and Elbow Joint Motion During a Pull Up, Chin Up or <em>Perfect Pull</em> <em>Up</em> Rotational Exercise</strong></u></font></font></div><div><font size="3" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" color="000000"><font size="3" face="Georgia" color="#ccffff">.</font></font></div><div><font size="3" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" color="000000"><font size="3" face="Georgia" color="#000000">JAMES W. YOUDAS, COLLIER L. AMUNDSON, KYLE S. CICERO, JUSTIN J. HAHN, DAVID T. HAREZLAK, AND JOHN H. HOLLMAN</font></font></div><div><font size="3" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" color="000000"><font size="3" face="Georgia" color="#ccffff">.</font></font></div><div><font size="3" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" color="000000"><font size="3" face="Georgia"><font color="#000000"><u>Purpose</u>: Compared a conventional pull-up and chin-up with a rotational exercise using the <em>Perfect Pull up</em> device with twisting handles. </font></font></font></div><div><font size="3" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" color="000000"><font size="3" face="Georgia" color="#ccffff">.</font></font></div><div><font size="3" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" color="000000"><font size="3" face="Georgia"><font color="#000000"><u>Conclusions</u>: No differences were detected between the <em>Perfect Pull up</em> device with twisting handles and the conventional pull-up and chin-up exercises. The <em>Perfect Pull up</em> rotational device does not appear to enhance muscular recruitment when compared to the conventional pull-up or chin-up.</font></font></font></div><div><font size="3" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" color="000000"><font size="3" face="Georgia" color="#ccffff">.</font></font></div><div><font size="3" face="Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif" color="000000"><font size="3" face="Georgia"><font color="#000000"><u>IN PLAIN ENGLISH</u>: No magical exercises exist.  A lot of things work provided you work as hard as possible.

TAKU<br type="_moz" /></font></font></font></div>

you know that he didn't ask about that piece of equipment, right?

i read the article you posted, and they say there is no difference between pullups and chinups or the Perfect Pullup....maybe i'm reading into that wrong, but they're saying while it's not better, but it accomplishes what both exercises do?

or am i way off base?? the article was kinda short, so there weren't a lot of details.....

I don't know. When I use the rings at the playground for pull ups I find that my elbows are way less sore afterwards, I think the twisting motion may be more natural. I don't own the perfect pull up and I rarely use my perfect push up, fun sometimes but I find regular push ups more difficult.

Andrew

i think that the freedom to rotate during these motions is healthier for the shoulders. i find that my shoulders feel better in certain positions than others. i don't know if these things are more effective in making you stronger though.

All good info, thanks!

Perfect pushups help if you have bad wrists,  I broke one years ago, and perfect pushups help keep the pressure off.

The Perfect pushup definitely helps with my wrist and elbow pain, which means i can use perfect- pushups as a workout when i cant get to the gym instead of doing nothing due to the pain regular pushups cause me = $30 well spent.

BshMstr,

You are correct, he did not ask about this piece.

TAKU

I agree with BrutalMedic, a pushup is a pushup, a sit up is a sit up.

Now that being said, I do like integrating a perfect pushup (they have one where I work out out) because it allows for body positioning that can reduce stress on specific joints if needed. The grip on the perfect pushup allows for a neutral loaded wrist position rather than the wrist being forced into extension, and with that I've found more people keeping a 45 degree/tucked elbow position rather than letting them flare out. I'm not sold on the whole "rotational" benefit part of the equipment. Also, you can get the same benefit for wrist positioning from just using a set of dumb bells on the floor instead of buying a new workout toy.

I have never seen, used, or heard of the perfect sit up so I actually had to look it up so see what it was about. From what I saw off the website, the product does not impress me. If you are going to be performing sit ups, you will likely get the same results from just doing normal/standard sit ups rather than using the perfect sit up.

www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_best_damn_pushups_article_period

T-Nation articles can be hit or miss, but this one is very good. 

I like the push-up If I don't use them or a oush-up bar I have issues with my wrist after a couple weeks