Petition to make Machida vs Henderson a 5 rounder

BuyTheTicketTakeTheRide - 
Porkchop - Dude, calling the Hendo/Machida fight the people's main event is so disrespectful it's crazy.

People need to stop bitching. Women are headlining UFC's now - deal with it.

Lol, they won't be main eventing after the ppv numbers trickle in for this one... Phone Post

Guess what's gonna happen - if the PPV numbers suffer (which they wont because some of these chicks have sex appeal) then they will just load up the under cards and main cards with other talented fighters who are men (just like the Hendo Machida fight). Loading up the cards all but guarantees that the PPV sales will be awesome and the sexist bitching will only intensify and those idiots complaining will be known to be non-equal opportunity fans - people who don't think women athletes deserve the same stage as the men. I, for one, am glad that those people will single themselves out.

The UFC isn't asking our permission to give the women an equal stage as the men. They're going to build up the cards to a point where we can't help but buy it, and until we respect the women as athletes equally, they will stack the cards as needed. The UFC has thought about this for a long time. They are not going to be caught off guard by fan reactions and I'm sure they couldn't care less about those fans who want to boycott the Hendo/Machida fight all because two women fight afterwards...... those fans can go fuck off with their principles about men being more exciting. It's not like they are being denied anything - they just aren't getting the fights in the order that they want..... well, fuck those idiots. They can tivo the PPV and watch the fights in whatever fuckin order they want to.

As for those who want the Hendo/Machida fight to be 5 rounds, sure, I'd be in favour of that. But if they are bitching about that because they feel like it is a more important fight than the first ever womens title fight, then they need to get a grip and suck it up.

If they are only doing it because it promises to be as good of a fight as Hendo and Rua, then more power to them and I hope they continue to lobby for fights that promise to be very exciting to be 5 rounds in the future. But I somehow doubt that the majority of those people will.

And also, when it gets to the point that all exciting fights should be 5 rounds before we actually know if they are exciting or not.... why not just make all fights 5 rounds? Because what if a fight looks boring on paper but turns out to be extremely exciting and is only 3 rounds? damn.... what a travesty right? or what if a fight that someone thinks would be exciting doesn't get 5 rounds because the UFC doesn't think it would be exciting? what would we do then???

All this talk is fucking nonsense and the vast majority of it comes from sexist idiots who don't like watching women fight. Just turn off the tv after the men fight then and quit your bitching.

another thing is, barely anyone complained when Jose Aldo got handed a UFC belt (the only person I know of who complained was Sonnen). and yet there has been so much talk about Ronda being handed a belt..... give me a fuckin break.

Signed.. why don't they just headline another event?

jsdaugh34 - Well if DW stays true to his own words that the winner of that fight gets title shot as a #1 contender, then why not make it a more important fight by adding the championship rounds....... Not disrespecting the women, but respecting the fact that this fight is not just another fight, it is for something.......

This is the one reason I have to agree with. Any title fight will always be the main event. It wouldn't be right any other way.

As far as the 5 round thing goes. Personally I have always thought Title Fights, Main Events, and #1 Contender fight should all be 5 round fights. The last thing anyone wants to see on a #1 Contender fight is a draw.

That being said you never know how good a fight is going to be until they actually fight. Hendo vs. Machida could actually end up being a boring fight. No disrespect to either one of them but Machida tends to be more exciting when someone is pressing the action, and Hendo seems to always want to try to land that one big shot. Could be very exciting, or very boring..

Signed Phone Post

Zaph - 
Porkchop -
Zaph - 
Porkchop - Dude, calling the Hendo/Machida fight the people's main event is so disrespectful it's crazy.

People need to stop bitching. Women are headlining UFC's now - deal with it.

It's not meant to be disrespectful at all; it's simply realistic.  Title fight or not, the inaugural WMMA fight in the UFC hasn't really earned main event status.  I'm sure if we made a poll asking people which fight is more compelling between Machida - Hendo and Rousey - Carmouche, we'd get a pretty overwhelming majority vote for Machida vs Hendo.

That said, it really wasn't my point.  They can leave that as the main event if they want, but make Machida vs Hendo a 5 rounder.  They've had events with two 5 round fights before. 

fair enough. But at the Ultimate Fighter finale, I think the most exciting fight for the fans would have been Lombard vs Palhares but I didn't see a single thread about that being deserving of main even status.

This isn't the first time that a co-main event was more exciting for the fans than a main event, but the fan reaction towards this fight isn't proportional to what kind of reaction we get for other main events that aren't as exciting as the main events.

And on top of that.... who is to say that one fight is more exciting that another when they haven't happened yet? It's total speculation that the Hendo Machida fight will be better.

As for the Hendo Machida fight being 5 rounds, I'm actually all for that. The only thing that bothers me is the idea that the women shouldn't be headlining. The 125'ers did it and no one really complained. Maybe a few people did but no one took them seriously. The only difference here is gender.

So as I said, I'd agree that the Hendo Machida fight should be 5 rounds but what bothered me was when you called it the "people's main event". Because that is totally aligned with this idea that the women aren't qualified to headline which is total bullshit.

Thanks for clarifying. For me, the "people's main event" comment was more about the fact that two seasoned veterans who've both held major titles is a bigger draw for most fans than a fight between two people who never fought in a UFC before. Phone Post

sure, but Jose Aldo fought Mark Hominick for the UFC belt at 129 in Toronto as his first UFC fight and the first featherweight title fight and they were above Couture and Machida on that card. I heard zero complaints.

JerodR - 
jsdaugh34 - Well if DW stays true to his own words that the winner of that fight gets title shot as a #1 contender, then why not make it a more important fight by adding the championship rounds....... Not disrespecting the women, but respecting the fact that this fight is not just another fight, it is for something.......

This is the one reason I have to agree with. Any title fight will always be the main event. It wouldn't be right any other way.

As far as the 5 round thing goes. Personally I have always thought Title Fights, Main Events, and #1 Contender fight should all be 5 round fights. The last thing anyone wants to see on a #1 Contender fight is a draw.

That being said you never know how good a fight is going to be until they actually fight. Hendo vs. Machida could actually end up being a boring fight. No disrespect to either one of them but Machida tends to be more exciting when someone is pressing the action, and Hendo seems to always want to try to land that one big shot. Could be very exciting, or very boring..

excellent points.

Personally I would like to see ALL main card fights 5 rounds with the main event 7. Phone Post

Signed.

I have absolutely nothing against WMMA and I think Rousey's title fight should be the main event.

But Hendo/Machida needs to be a 5 rounder due to the high profile nature of the fight. Any former champion vs former champion fight should be 5 rounds, especially when the outcome of the fight could potentially set up a title shot depending on how impressive or dominant the winner is.

It would be a damn shame if this fight went down like Rampage/Machida or Hendo/Franklin where it comes down to a very controversial split decision when both are very evenly matched and the fight could have played out very different had it gone into the championship rounds.

I was looking for the "Save the UFC," petition, but this one will do.

SIGNED.

i think all fights between top ten opponents should be 5 rounds. Signed

I am not a nugget

Signed Phone Post

Signed Phone Post

Porkchop - sure, but Jose Aldo fought Mark Hominick for the UFC belt at 129 in Toronto as his first UFC fight and the first featherweight title fight and they were above Couture and Machida on that card. I heard zero complaints.

Eh, I can't really be held responsible for any public outrage or lack thereof in terms of what happened in previous fights.  I made this thread because I want this fight to be 5 rounds.  I don't care if it's the main event or not; I do care about the possibility of seeing these two guys put on a war.  As has been mentioned earlier, Ronda Rousey's fights don't typically last very long, and there's no real reason to believe that this one will be any different.

For me, it has a lot more to do with wanting high profile fights than anything else.  I've never complained about WMMA before.  I don't find it as compelling as men's MMA because the talent pool has a terrible lack of depth, but I'm still reasonably entertained by it.  As I said earlier, I called Machida - Henderson "the People's Main Event" not as a slight to WMMA, but because I don't think too many people can honestly say that they're more excited about Rousey - Carmouche than about Machida - Hendo.  Even if there's a possibility that Machida - Hendo will turn out to be a lackluster fight, there is still a much bigger potential for a great battle here than with the main event.  Smart money says Ronda Rousey by armbar in the 1st.  Sure, anything can happen, but it probably won't.  With Hendo - Machida, "anything can happen" certainly seems more accurate,  at least on paper.

Signed.

Neil McCauley - i think all fights between top ten opponents should be 5 rounds. Signed

This.

And signed. Phone Post

Zaph - 
Porkchop - sure, but Jose Aldo fought Mark Hominick for the UFC belt at 129 in Toronto as his first UFC fight and the first featherweight title fight and they were above Couture and Machida on that card. I heard zero complaints.

Eh, I can't really be held responsible for any public outrage or lack thereof in terms of what happened in previous fights.  I made this thread because I want this fight to be 5 rounds.  I don't care if it's the main event or not; I do care about the possibility of seeing these two guys put on a war.  As has been mentioned earlier, Ronda Rousey's fights don't typically last very long, and there's no real reason to believe that this one will be any different.

For me, it has a lot more to do with wanting high profile fights than anything else.  I've never complained about WMMA before.  I don't find it as compelling as men's MMA because the talent pool has a terrible lack of depth, but I'm still reasonably entertained by it.  As I said earlier, I called Machida - Henderson "the People's Main Event" not as a slight to WMMA, but because I don't think too many people can honestly say that they're more excited about Rousey - Carmouche than about Machida - Hendo.  Even if there's a possibility that Machida - Hendo will turn out to be a lackluster fight, there is still a much bigger potential for a great battle here than with the main event.  Smart money says Ronda Rousey by armbar in the 1st.  Sure, anything can happen, but it probably won't.  With Hendo - Machida, "anything can happen" certainly seems more accurate,  at least on paper.

I understand and I'm not trying to lump you in with others that I have talked about in this thread.

If you are more excited for the Hendo/Machida fight, that's totally fair.

I agree with it being a 5 round fight even though I don't think that the predicted length of the main event should have any baring on the matter. If it becomes a 5 round fight, it should be due to the fight itself, not any other ones on the card being predicted to be short.

So as for Hendo/Machida being 5 rounds... I'm for it based on the idea that it is a number 1 contender fight. It also doesn't hurt that it could be epic.

Zaph -

I apologize in advance if there's already one in progress. This Android app doesn't appear to have a search function. I also apologize in advance if I missed a memo and it's already been done.

Anyway, title says it all. I don't mind having Rousey as a main event as long as they make the People's Main Event a 5 rounder. Phone Post

EDIT:  THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT ABOUT THE CURRENT MAIN EVENT.  I CLEARLY SAID I DIDN'T MIND THE WMMA TITLE BEING THE MAIN EVENT.  I SIMPLY FEEL THAT HENDO - MACHIDA SHOULDN'T BE A 3 ROUND FIGHT.

Apologies for the caps, but I'm hopeful that they'll help.

Hendo is definitely one of my all time favorites. IMO this is stylistically a very different fight. Hendo Has shown some gas issues in fights like shogun and shields, for one thing. Machida and him are both very strong starters and they will get going early and I don't think Machida has endless cardio either. Also, what about undercard fights? They would have to shorten the amount they put on and undercard fights are generally excellent. I wouldn't be against two five round fights depending on what they are (when one is non title) but in this case, it's probably unnecessary. Phone Post

in