Petr Yan Possibly Leaving UFC

This all day! Would be FIYAH!

do it jewish GIF

1 Like

The whole “The UFC wants to make O’Malley a star” argument doesn’t hold up. I’m not aware of the UFC fixing fights, because that’s what they would be doing. They wouldn’t do this, It’s simply too much liability for them. Plus the fight was close. Even if they did try to “fix” it, let’s present a scenario: the UFC pays the judges to give it to Sean. Yan dominates him in every round, nearly finishes him, makes him look like an amateur on the feet and on the ground. Even IF Sean is given the decision in this fight, yes he has the win, but he’s not going to be respected by fans and critics as a legitimate contender. If he got a title shot off a fight where he was completely dominated, the UFC would get a lot of blowback, claiming that Yan is the rightful challenger. So either way you slice it, it doesn’t make sense.

Can anyone name 10 fights where the more popular fighter (by a mile) and the guy getting groomed as a star got a decision, in a fight where almost nobody thought they won? I’m being generous here given the fact that the UFC puts on at least 400 fights per year.

1 Like

MMA Junkie had a good idea on their podcast. They said Yan should ask for a contract trade the way they did with Askren/DJ. That would be interesting

Would love to see Yan in an organization that appreciates him and he’d dominate in ONE or Bellator

1 Like

I don’t understand the discussion.

Yan should leave the UFC, why? He’s a great fighter. He has lost some close fights. That’s what happens when you fight the top guys. I don’t think he expected Sean to be as good as he was.

If he leaves the organization I’m sure he’d get some good finishes, but he won’t be fighting the best. I’m sure as a former champ he wants to test himself in the UFC. I’ll watch him fight anywhere cause I’m a fan, but I’d rather see him fight the best guys.

I guess I don’t get why he would leave, outside of possibly getting paid more.

2 Likes

I mean, isn’t that essentially what happened? This decision has had more fan backlash that any in recent memory with tons of fighters calling bullshit, some even saying it’s the worst decision in the UFC ever.

1 Like

In terms of fan reaction, yes. But Petr didn’t dominate him the way I described in my post.

1 Like

I read an article from Cormier talking about Yan being upset with the decision. I don’t think Yan should leave the UFC. If he does I would like to see him go over to One Fc.

1 Like

Yeah. I’ll wait to hear it from Yan. Him in ONE would be fun, I just don’t see why he’d go there over the UFC.

1 Like