Pillow Fighting

Many of the MMA fanboys here claim boxing is nothing more than glorified pillow fighting, implying that enclosed 8oz or 10oz gloves with sewn down thumbs are incapable of inflicting serious damage. If that is the case, why do MMA practitioners insist on challenging boxers to fight in the cage when they could just slip on the mufflers and make more money fighting in the ring without any chance of injury?

If boxing gloves are nothing more than soft, silky smooth pillows, wouldn't our hypothetical Xyience Puncher be able to hold his own in the ring with Kelly Pavlik, Bernard Hopkins or Lamon Brewster?

And why has the % of fights ending in KO drastically increased in MMA since fighters began wrapping their hands with gauze, similar to pro boxers?

"I think a more pertinent question is who fucking cares??"

I care. If boxing is merely a punching match with silky smooth pillows on your fists, wouldn't you be able to get into a boxing ring with a pro and last the distance without breaking a sweat or getting a boo-boo?

chess to checkers is the perfect analogy.

Damnit, was hoping for pics of something of a different nature than what this thread actually turned out to be.

"actual WORLD CHAMPION in FIVE weight classes Floyd Mayweather Jr"

In fairness, there are 457 different weight classes in boxing

isnt Pat a form UFC world champion i could be wrong but i think he was.

but my point of very boxing sucks and thats about the end of the story

Why are the chess fanboys afraid to play checkers, especially when the consequences are so little? How much could a soft and silky smooth 8oz or 10oz pillow hurt anyway?

yah but it that piont he was the best in the world you cant take that away from him

Boxing is still boring and its not fighting its punching

"
When he was the "world" champ it was not a 'world' or recognized sporting organization.
It's like calling Butterbean a world champ.
"

Dude, this argument is old. Why does this keep coming up?

The point was, PBF was the one that called out MMA fighters and if you call out someone, you fight them in their game.

Nobody has said that boxing is easy

"The point is Joe Rogaine has been calling out boxing for years right?

In any case plenty of people here think it's easy enough. So go pillow fight if it's so easy. Way more money in pillow fighting anyway.
"

At least Rogan has some respect for the sport. He knows that an MMA fighter would get his ass kicked in a boxing match, because they are far more skilled at what they do. Which is punching, avoiding being punched back and so on.

Is there still more money in pillow fighting? If you removed the 2 big earners from each fight card (the main event), I'd like to see what the average purses are.

"Umm, yeah there is. But keep dreaming. "

Proof?

"but my point of very boxing sucks and thats about the end of the story"

Sounds like you have pugilistic dementia.

"Nobody has said that boxing is easy"

Quite the contrary, MMA fanboys claim that getting hit by a pro boxer wearing 8oz or 10oz gloves is similar to being caressed with a silky smooth pillow in a sorority house.

"Is there still more money in pillow fighting?"

Oscar and Floyd made more in their last fight than the combined total of every undercarder in UFC history.

"Quite the contrary, MMA fanboys claim that getting hit by a pro boxer wearing 8oz or 10oz gloves is similar to being caressed with a silky smooth pillow in a sorority house. "

Link?

"Oscar and Floyd made more in their last fight than the combined total of every undercarder in UFC history. "

And you ignored a part of my last post. I said if you take away the 2 top earners, what would the average purse be?

I'm not saying MMA would be ahead, but I guarantee the gap wouldn't be huge. Does anyone know what the average undercard fighter makes in boxing?

"Does anyone know what the average undercard fighter makes in boxing?"

what the average undercard fighter makes is irrelevant, because in the UFC, where most of their shows are PPV, they have a number of their stars on every undercard. Boxing, on the other hand, spreads out their stars on regular HBO cards (not PPV) and thus have them making millions of dollars in non-PPV fights as well as in their PPV fights.

So take a look at the top 5 fighters in each division in both boxing and MMA and you'd see quite a huge difference in the amount of money they are making.

"what the average undercard fighter makes is irrelevant, because in the UFC, where most of their shows are PPV, they have a number of their stars on every undercard. Boxing, on the other hand, spreads out their stars on regular HBO cards (not PPV) and thus have them making millions of dollars in non-PPV fights as well as in their PPV fights.

So take a look at the top 5 fighters in each division in both boxing and MMA and you'd see quite a huge difference in the amount of money they are making.
"

So you want to essentially compare the strongest side of your argument? surely if you looked at what the average fighter made (not the big boys as they'll do well either way, all be it better in boxing), that would be a fairer way to compare the two sports?

"Link?"

Member Since: 11/02/2006... stick around and see it for yourself.

"I said if you take away the 2 top earners, what would the average purse be?"

And what exactly is the point of removing the top two earners? If we're talking about which combat athletes make more money, it's clearly boxers. You're changing the question as fast as possible because you know that's the answer.

Newsflash!!!

Different people prefer different sports!!

Amazing!

Seriously some of you need to get over yourselves. Your not special, no one really cares what you think.

toddseney what exactly does my join date have to do with anything?

I clearly wont win this argument as you refuse to see to look at this rationally. Instead ignoring certain parts of my posts to serve your own purpose.

You clearly aren't to financially astute, but look at it like this. You are a salesman, the best salesman in the company sells a lot, so he makes a lot of money, whether that be through bonuses etc it doesnt matter. Now at the end of the year the top 2 salesmen make 300k say, other members of the same company only make 30k, because they havent sold nearly as much.

Whereas an accountant might make 50k as a standard salary per year. By your argument, being a salesman is where the money is at

I envision a day when there will be no more "boxing vs. mma" threads.....you're comparing apples to oranges......one is a mere component to the other....it's like saying "well, he's a world class shot put thrower, so he would eb good in the decalthalon" (sp?)....it doesn't make any sense

BM21