Poirier Explains Why He Spent So long Without a Fight

The bout was awarded Fight of the Night – the eighth time The Diamond has been awarded that honour in his career. Having established himself as one of the most entertaining figures in the game, Dustin Poirier was asked on the MMA Hour why it took so long for him to book a fight.

“I’m not sure,” replied the Lousiana-native. “I guess at this level, the fights have to be right. And there’s less and less mountain tops when you get to a certain point. The guys that are available and the guys that make sense – sometimes it takes longer,” Dustin Poirier continued and added,

“Obviously at the beginning of my UFC career – every fight made sense because I needed to get some traction. Make some noise. Get wins. Now? I want title fights or I want the biggest fights that I can get.”

Sitting at #2 in the lightweight rankings, Dustin Poirier holds a significant position at 155lb. However, the former Interim lightweight champion says that he’s only been offered one fight aside from the rematch with Gaethje.

“The UFC were talking about a fight between me and Beneil (Dariush.) Dustin Poirier explained. “Since that talk – I haven’t been offered a fight. I haven’t been offered any of the fights when the guys got hurt and they switched the cards around – my phone hasn’t rang. I think they wanted to do this Gaethje fight.”

Dustin Poirier first fought Gaethje in 2018 and won the bout via TKO in the third round. In classic fashion for both men, the match was a barnburner and earned Fight of the Night.

Given their respective reputations, more fireworks are expected when they run it back at UFC 291. The BMF belt will be on the line for the first time since it was introduced for Jorge Masvidal’s clash with Nate Diaz in 2019.

Dustin Poirier has gone 6-2 since the first encounter with Gaethje, ‘The Highlight’ has matched that. Which man will come out on top when they go to war in Salt Lake City this summer?

“I’m not sure,” replied the Lousiana-native. “I guess at this level, the fights have to be right. And there’s less and less mountain tops when you get to a certain point. The guys that are available and the guys that make sense – sometimes it takes longer,” Dustin Poirier continued and added,

“Obviously at the beginning of my UFC career – every fight made sense because I needed to get some traction. Make some noise. Get wins. Now? I want title fights or I want the biggest fights that I can get.”

Sitting at #2 in the lightweight rankings, Dustin Poirier holds a significant position at 155lb. However, the former Interim lightweight champion says that he’s only been offered one fight aside from the rematch with Gaethje.

“The UFC were talking about a fight between me and Beneil (Dariush.) Dustin Poirier explained. “Since that talk – I haven’t been offered a fight. I haven’t been offered any of the fights when the guys got hurt and they switched the cards around – my phone hasn’t rang. I think they wanted to do this Gaethje fight.”
Dustin Poirier first fought Gaethje in 2018 and won the bout via TKO in the third round. In classic fashion for both men, the match was a barnburner and earned Fight of the Night.

Given their respective reputations, more fireworks are expected when they run it back at UFC 291. The BMF belt will be on the line for the first time since it was introduced for Jorge Masvidal’s clash with Nate Diaz in 2019.

Dustin Poirier has gone 6-2 since the first encounter with Gaethje, ‘The Highlight’ has matched that. Which man will come out on top when they go to war in Salt Lake City this summer?

1 Like

337703CB-23F7-4C10-ACD0-96986410FBDC

4 Likes

He admits he ducked Dariush…weak

15 Likes

Come On Biden GIF by GIPHY News

:metal:

He picks and chooses his fights thanks to the McGregor trend. Now, every fighter, even one with no merit of having a competitive win for years, can just decide when and who to fight, and absurdly, when does choose to fight is rewarded handily.

3 Likes

Agreed. Bu that’s for the UFC to curb this trend. If it makes sense for the fighters, why would they stop doing this?

1 Like

Do NOT try that with Thanksgiving turkey

2 Likes

The PoPo will cometh

1 Like

who cares seth meyers GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Look at Dustins UFC career and tell me he doesn’t deserve it

7 Likes

Are you the guy that did the turkey in a garbage can by the woods? :joy: That was a great thread

1 Like

Dustin has an amazing record. He can do what he wants now.

Conor 3x
Gaethje
Alvarez 2x
Chandler
Korean Zombie
Swanson
Miller
Pettis
Holloway 2x
Oliviera
Khabib

His only bad loss was to Michael Johnson who can seem to be able to beat anyone on certain nights and lose to anyone on certain nights.

10 Likes

Justin wants it more

1 Like

Wrong.

Dustin has been in the WEC and UFC for 13 years. He is a former int. champ and 2x title challenger. He also happens to be 36 and coming off of some big high profile wins over Conor and Chandler the past few years. He now happens to be approaching the end of his career and he is wealthy. Nothing wrong with wanting the right fights.

What do you want him to do, fight all the young killers until UFC cuts him like they did with JDS?

There are three things in play…
the best interest of the fighter
the best interest of the promotion
the best interest of the fans

Saying a guy who has fought everyone like Max, Khabib, Conor 3x, Pettis, Gaethje, Eddie, Cub etc… “picks and chooses” his fights because he wants a big fight is ridiculous.

Dustin is 9-2-0-1 in the past six years at the highest level of the UFC LW division. Of course he has some say in what fights he is interested in.

One of the most exciting and FOTN/POTN winning fighters in UFC history.

As soon as Gaethje beat Fiziev it was obvious to everyone that Poirier vs Gaethje II was next.

Lets not act like Gaethje is some tomato can because you saw Khabib and Charles able to submit him.

6 Likes

ok…

Doesn’t matter

Lost and wasn’t even close. Lost all recent fights against true competitors (i.e. fights not based on pop culture or demand)

Except for its effect on the sport as a whole, among other things, transitioning from emphasis on mostly (nothing is perfect) quality-based match making to fighters choosing themselves over the product.

I don’t really care about Porier but rather what he and others represent. See above. I couldn’t give two shits about other feeding his greed.

Irrelevant. He fought all these guys a while ago. Conor and Gaethje weren’t handpicked by him!? If anything is ridiculous, it’s this remark, even among your other weak ones.

Yawn… again and again. He’s been here for years, he fought the best. You could make your reply more succinct. Irrelevant. “Of course he has some say” – indeed, thanks to the UFC selling the sport to McGregor and his greed.

hmmm… irrelevant

Not really. Bored media who wanted another low quality slug-fest was promoting this fight. And Gaethje’s win over Fiziev… questionable.

I never said Gaethje is a Tomato. He’s a good journeyman. Entertainment for the masses. Good pick if you want to fight once every year or two and make money from amateur suckers who are willing to pay for it.

2 Likes

Who do you think is a better fight for Dustin?

1 Like

This

It has nothing to do with Conor. Dustin failed to win the belt twice. He’s been fighting for a very long time and has fought a murderer’s row of guys. He has given us a lot of wars over the years. He has been a mainstay in the top 3 at 155 for a long time.

He is the prototype for a fighter who deserves to pick their fights and get paid good money.

1 Like