Poor Choice for ADCC 2007

Well, just from having it in NJ, you will have many Renzo and his affiliate students attend...that is upwards of 1,000 students.

Then you have the schools in the DC area, Yamasaki, Lloyd Irvin, etc.

I would bet that there are the same amount of students that will attend, whether it is in NJ or CA.

Additionally, I would further guess that ADCC will actually get more exposure being near NYC, than it did being in Long Beach last year.

I loved attending the tourney at the Long Beach Arena, but how much outside publicity did the tournament get? Not much I would guess...

is the venue near public transportation from NYC? and by that i mean the
path train (not njtransit).

the worst thing i could think of would be having adcc so close but not
being able to go because most of us who live in NYC don't drive.

The riverline goes there and amtrak.

Just some opinions..

1) The west coast already had it there last time, so whats the problem with it being in the east coast this year.

2) I don't know how many people went to the trials in NJ, but if its held at the same place,(William Paterson University in Wayne NJ) it is a more than adequate venue in an area that it is a world of difference from Bayonne, Jersey City..Trenton etc.

3) NJ is the centerpoint for a lot of important states, grappling wise or economic wise in the east coast. And there are a LOT of large BJJ schools in the vicinity. A NAGA or a GQ alone here gets more spectators than the last ADCC did in california.

4) LOL at anyone from LA ragging on NJ/NY for anything traffic/smog related.

5) Yes, I am sure Brian Cimmins - who regularly hosts tournaments in the midwest/west - just chose NJ for the adcc because he lives here.. *sarcasm..

6) ADCC is not the olympics..hell its not even as popular as the special olympics.. As stated above having it in different venues is actually a good thing exposure-wise. Funny thing is that no one complained when it was in the middle east or brazil...

NY would be cool, Miami would be cool, Atlanta would be cool, DC would be cool, Philly would be cool. There are a ton of places on the East Coast I'd like to visit,New Jersey isn't one of them.

Why would they want to come back to the Pryamid? I was there and was soooo disappointed in the Grappling community for not selling it out. It's not a huge venue to begin with and yet I saw sooo many empty seats, it was ridiculous. Every seat should have been sold. I hope whenever they choose to bring it back to California I won't see one chair empty in the place. If Jersey sells out then congratulations to the east coast, you guys will deserve it!

I'm betting its going to be in NE Jersey. Maximum it will be 30 minutes by public transportation to NYC. You can spend your nights in the city and your days in New Jersey. Not a big deal. Plus, unlike LA around here you don't need a car to get places.

"So basically a Cali guy is crying because it's not there."

That would be correct, in my case.

I was at ADCC 2005 for 8 hours on both days- it was the most exciting MA event I've ever witnessed. All the matches were great, actually, you'd miss some since 3 mats were running at the same time. Make sure you go to both days.

And get up a little early to eat breakfast before the event. The first day I didn't and the concessions have limited options. Kind of sucks to eat concession pizza, hot dogs, and nachos for breakfast and lunch for two days but I didn't want to miss a match. Second day I went for breakfast and only had to have lunch at the pyramid.

i think its a good idea to have it in nj. the east coast has a large sub grappling community. its about same distance for me either way give or take (chicago) but overall nj will be a good event i cant wait!

"I'm betting its going to be in NE Jersey. Maximum it will be 30 minutes by public transportation to NYC. You can spend your nights in the city and your days in New Jersey. Not a big deal. Plus, unlike LA around here you don't need a car to get places."

It's in Trenton. Dunno where that is.

Ok, so you expect a complete tourist to just hope on public transportation and go around it like it's nothing. At least with a car you can get a map and go around. Did you guys read about the ADCC competitor that almost got mugged on the way to the trials? lol. Screw that.

"Did you guys read about the ADCC competitor that almost got mugged on the way to the trials?"

Yea and he didn't "almost get mugged" The idiot let a crack whore get in his car.. he got what was coming to him.

"Ok, so you expect a complete tourist to just hope on public transportation and go around it like it's nothing."

Isn't that what tourists do anyways? Go online and do some fucking research before you go.

Aaaanyways only problem i see now is that its in Trenton. Of all the very green places in NJ they have to choose another dump like trenton (although it has its nice areas too) I guess that'll just strengthen people's perceptions of NJ. Oh well, i'll be there anyways.

Ok, so you expect a complete tourist to just hope on public transportation and go around it like it's nothing. At least with a car you can get a map and go around.

Umm.....They have public transportation maps.

FUUUUUUUCKKKKKKKK!!!!!

I'm getting married on May 5th!!!! (The tournament is May 4-6th) DAMMIT!!!!

Figures, first (and possibly last) time its held in NJ, my judo instructor (Celita Schutz) is competing in it... and i'm gonna have to miss it cuz i'm getting married.... shit!!!

"Umm.....They have public transportation maps."

no way..public transportation scares me in LA, I'm even more scared of NJ's public transportation.

no way..public transportation scares me in LA, I'm even more scared of NJ's public transportation.

Well, I guess that's understandable.

I mean, if you think I look intimidating....

" Well, I guess that's understandable.

I mean, if you think I look intimidating.... "

You are.

I think out west, we have a bigger personal bubble. We liked our own space so driving is much more preferred over public transportation. Not to mention the city of LA is probably 26x26 miles.

There seems to be a much better public transportation system on the east coast. It's definately most efficient, but much less personal space.

I think that's definitely true. There just isn't much room for "personal space" in the Northeast.

Does a 20,000 seat venue in dreamy California hold more than a 20,000 seat venue in New Jersey?

NJ/NY public transport is very good and very reliable. Driving in New Jersey on the other hand sucks ass, there are a million little highways and I always get lost when i leave my home range.

that said...i was wrong. Trenton is not in NE jersey. Shit i lived in NJ for 20 years and have never been there and its the capital. that does seem like a dumb place to have it.