Poor Choice for ADCC 2007

I heard it's Bon Jovi vs. Lister this year

Driving in New Jersey on the other hand sucks ass, there are a million little highways and I always get lost when i leave my home range.

Don't forget that you're not allowed to turn left.

"Don't forget that you're not allowed to turn left."

Its actually a good thing. Nothing like watching an idiot misjudge the speed of traffic on a highway while trying to make a left only to get t-boned.

TTT for NJ.

sayonaisse and kying418 both made good points about the disappointing turnout that happened last year.
I was also pretty surprised when I walked into the Pyramid last year and
saw that the attendance was so dismal but I thought it was a start in the right
direction.

Are they putting any ads in wrestling magazines or advertising to outside
audiences that may be interested.

I know we all hear about it because we want the info but here you have Sheikh Tahoon
who is a billionaire and there should be a pretty aggressive marketing budget.

He certainly isn't going to throw money at them but I'm sure they have some
Good advertising power.

The other question i forgot to add was the payoff for guys Like Jacare and Roger Gracie to do submission grappling Is far less than NHB.

Do you think that's always going to be the case?
Is there anyway to raise the income these
Guys make from submission grappling and make
It more appealing?

I don't think the turnout was dismal, I think the venue was slightly too big. 5,000 people is a lot of people to fill for submission grappling.

Pirelli. I guess it will always be the case on some level. Prize money and sponsorship might go up a bit however most top grapplers will benefit mainly as an opportunity to put themselves in the window for MMA (ala PDP, Jacare, Roger) or to sell lots of instructionals and seminars (Garcia).

"disappointing turnout that happened last year"

It had more to do with the way the tickets where being sold from the beginning. You had to purchase tickets for both days. Most people didn't want to pay for both days and only able to attend one day and try and sale the other ticket. Someone thought this was a good idea and wouldn't change the mind.

Some of my friends had that problem. People I talked to after the event said the same thing. They would have went one day but not both days. if they could have purchased one day ticket they would have went the day they could have attended.

A LOT people didn't know because it was never announced, but you could have purchase one day tickets at the box office the day of the event. This hurt attendance even more by not letting the public know. Again that same someone made the decision not to inform the public.

Guys what's the difference why it didn't sell out? The east coast has the two largest attended events and neither were an ADCC. So, a non adcc event out sold the championships in cali that speaks volumes that this event should have a turnout for.

Either way the event is in NJ this time and nothing is going to change that. It will more than likely move back to the west coast next time, so no worries.

Who's to say it will stay in America in 2009? It went from AD to Brazil and now 2 times in America. It could go off to Japan to mix it up since the japanese will appreciate it just as much.

SlapUsilly:

Tell your fianc'ee that you are so in love that cannot wait any longert to marry her....move the date up a month or so, go to both days of ADCC.

Where are your priorities, man?

I've tried everything..lol.

After my last attempt she wound up in tears and i triggered an athsma attack on her.. she'd still not budge. LOL.

Pirelli-  My name is Carlos Diaz and I'm involved in ADCC, I'm a judge and ref for the event.  Not that I know all the right awnsers, but I know this:

Have you ever been to a NAGA or Grapplers Quest in NJ.  They have an average or 1000 participants if not more.  That is just people competing in said events.  Now yes you do get some of the best grapplers in the area, but you do not get the names that you will get in ADCC.  Could you simply imagine the amount of people that are into Submission Fighting (that is the actual name now) in the NE. 

California has a similar problem to Florida, geografical isolation.  Not as much, but you get much more people from the tri-state area that are into SF than in people in California.  I know the average attendance from last time at the venue, and it was not bad.  But all the brains of the event firmly beleive that it will be much better in the NE.

That being said, they just came to an agreement with Fila and that is a huge step for our sport. A great attendance will increase the validity of the event, the energy of the whole place, and motivate the fighters.  Have you ever been at a tournament or fight where the croud is rooting for or agianst you.  Is either great or you have to work hard to not let it affect you.

I hope that this bit make a little more clear the reasons for the change, also change is good, it brings the sport into other peoples eyes, bring a different croud and the promoters can learn if this is something that works better or not.  If they do not change the location, how are they supposed to know if it will work or not?

I will be at the even and I hope that you will too.  Stay healthy and train hard!  Maybe you will be the next ADCC Champ!

P.S. Sorry for any mis-spells

nice post^^^

ADCC in NJ (although i can't attend) will be very well attended IMO. Especially if there is any kind of advertising/promotion done.

Also Mis-spells is misspelled :)

SlapUsilly:

Sorry, I forgot the lose-lose rule: Never think you can figure out what women are thinking or that you can solve their problems.

Lets hope they'll arrange it somewhere else than USA for the next couple of times. New-comers Japan and Europe would be nice, as would be getting the event back to Brazil and Middle-East. As ADCC is an international organization with roots outside the USA, it just stands to reason that they change the location.

If its in North Jersey you are a 20,min to newyork(driving or Train). If they could have it in NYC they would so the next best thing is Northern NJ. After Cali, NJ would be 2nd most populated place for BJJ in America. What beats NYC to hold an event any event? Why should grappling be any different? Guranntee ADCC is more succesful in NJ/NY then they did in Cali.

Its in Trenton this time around.. thats a hike to NYC, but Philly is not too far away. From what i've heard too the Sovereign Bank Center is a pretty nice facility too.

I am positive this venue (again if advertised) will outsell the last one in Cali by a longshot.

WTF is it with people and jersey! It called the garden state for reasons that do not involve the turnpike nor the areas around the airports.

Most people that travel beyond the industrial areas are actually surprised about how green Jersey actually is..

And sekiya..
Yep, can't win, even when you're right. Its all good though, she actually has encouraged my training habits for the last 8 years... guess this one time i crossed the line. lol.

Jersey is a much better option for Ontario, Quebec and East Coast Canadians as well. Seeing that at least two divisions will be won by Canadians this year, it's a better selling point to their fans =^)