Poor Choice for ADCC 2007

And it's a lot easier for everyone to fly over from London and cheer Roger on!

i grew up in NY, right by the GW bridge so I am very familiar with jersey and have been to the town where ADCC is being held.
I also attended the ADCC at the pyramid.

This move to NJ might be the DUMBEST idea ever. The pyramid was the absolute BEST venue to hold this event

Gamebred, why do you think NJ is a bad choice?
The response i am reading is the the East Coast is going to bring out the numbers.

That remains to be seen but I would rather be in California to watch it.

1.i have lived in both areas, the popularity of grappling on the west coast compared to the east is like night and day.

2.the pyramid was, IMO an incredibly well suited venue for ADCC with a ton of seating and not a bad view in the house. in NJ, if its the same place as the trials, wich i think it is, its not even comparable.

1. Long beach was a easy to find, easy to get too, plenty of things to do, etc. The place in NJ is surrounded by shitty areas and NJ roads are so incredibly confusing.

i would gladly fly the extra distance and greater expense for this to be back in long beach

Rob,

I don't think you realize it but you are wrong about where the event is taking place. It's not the same place the trials were held. The trials were held at william patterson university in wayne NJ.

The ADCC championships are being held in a real arena, the arena where the East Coast Hockey League plays in Trenton. This is a pro hockey team, and a real arena. So, if your reason for liking the Pyramid more is because of crappy seating and views of the ADCC trials etc then there is no worries. This is a pro arena with clear views from every angle.

I'd also like to add in that the popularity can't be like night and day since the two largest attended events in this sport were both held on the east coast, not the west which would be in direct contrast to your comments about it being more popular on the west coast.

I hope I am wrong about the venue. regardless, i am dissappointed its not being held in the Pyramid again. miquel, Brian Cimins and crew had it done to perfection out there two yrs ago. Even if the Venue is good, so-cal beats NJ by a long way in terms of desirable place. i dreaded every trip into NJ for various GQ's NAGAS or ADCC trials. sorry NJ people, the trnpke and 1-9 n/s are not were its at.

"Its in Trenton this time around" IF thats the case this sucks. It needs to be in northern NJ

Rob,

That's cool, you don't like Jersey and prefer Cali. If I had my choice of place to hang I would agree, but the fact remains the largest attended events for this sport have been on the east coast, not the west coast. The event was on the west coast and didn't do very well, it's time to move it where it will do well and that is the east coast. I would prefer it be in the city which is where it should be held but this event is in a pro arena in trenton, not the university it has been in before ask any of the ADCC people you will see I am 100% correct.

im looking forward to it where ever it is ;)

it was such a blast in 05' I guess I have a sever bias for going back there

Rob,

I don't blame you, who wouldn't want to hit cali for all the west coast hanging and training. Besides you left the north east for florida and am sure you didn't leave because you loved it so much here LOL.

Gamebred,

I'm glad to hear that it was "such a blast in 05'" , as I am very interested in going, and this year will likely be my first time. How large was the crowd there?

true that. i ran down here to sunny florida for a reason!!

there were several hundred spectators at adcc. maybe a thousand

Date: 12/23/06 01:37 AM

547 Total Posts
Ignore User
<SCRIPT>
if (readCookie('MMATV_USERID') == 123347) {
document.writeln('Edit  ');
}
</SCRIPT>

I hope I am wrong about the venue. regardless, i am dissappointed its not being held in the Pyramid again. miquel, Brian Cimins and crew had it done to perfection out there two yrs ago. Even if the Venue is good, so-cal beats NJ by a long way in terms of desirable place. i dreaded every trip into NJ for various GQ's NAGAS or ADCC trials. sorry NJ people, the trnpke and 1-9 n/s are not were its at.

Gamebred ,  The ADCC 2005 at Pyramid , Long Beach CA show , was done by Me and Miguel . Mrs Cimins job at that time was to promoting the ADCC thru his GQ shows and he worked as a referee as well ( see adcombat official quotes below ). I am very proud for the work that my crew and I have done for ADCC 2005 and normally i do not mind being in the shadow but i want make sure the right people get credit for. So thanks again for my crew , the voluntiers , sponsors , for Miguel , Kid Peligro and Guy Neives for the trust and oportunity , to my wife and daughter for their support and understanding . It was a fun ride ( i did not sleep much for the whole week ) and i am very proud how the ADCC 2005 show came out .

See you guys at ADCC 2007 !!!

Cheers!

Gilberto

ADCC 2005 - Promoter Named For Submission Wrestling World Championships!

Submitted by: ADCC NEWS

Posted On 07/26/2004

Promotional team headed by AFC matchmaker and ADCC spokesman Miguel Iturrate to host the 6th Submission Wrestling World Championships

Jiu Jitsu PRO GEAR's Gilberto Villela Faria and Grappler's Quest's Brian Cimins round out promotional team.

'We are ready to bring the 6th ADCC Submission Wrestling World Championships to the United States' states an exhuberant promoter Miguel Iturrate. 'Yesterday, we received final approval from the ADCC committee on our proposal to host the event in the US. We are very excited, and we are moving forward with hosting the event in MAY of 2005. The motions to secure a venue have begun - we have something special in mind for the event's site. The exact date and site will be 100% in the coming weeks' states the promoter.

PROMOTER CONFIDENT OF TEAM

'I think we have put together the right 3-man team to promote this event.' states Iturrate who has worked directly for Guy Neivens (ADCC Coordinator) on ADCC projects for the last 5 years. 'My roll will be to make the event happen, period.' reveals Iturrate. 'My experience with HOOKnSHOOT from 1998-2003, my current work with Euphoria MFC and the AFC in Ft Lauderdale, I have an infrastructure for things, like the video, that we want to achieve. I have a pretty good list of international contacts, I am confident the right pieces to the puzzle will be put together to make a world class event.'

Two other key pieces were revealed by Iturrate. ',b>Gilberto Villela,/b> of JJ Pro Gear will be working on event coordination. He is located in southern California, and that is our first choice for location. We have a lot of options, and Gilberto will be the man 'on the floor' wherever the event is held.'

PROMOTER CONFIDENT OF TEAM

'I think we have put together the right 3-man team to promote this event.' states Iturrate who has worked directly for Guy Neivens (ADCC Coordinator) on ADCC projects for the last 5 years. 'My roll will be to make the event happen, period.' reveals Iturrate. 'My experience with HOOKnSHOOT from 1998-2003, my current work with Euphoria MFC and the AFC in Ft Lauderdale, I have an infrastructure for things, like the video, that we want to achieve. I have a pretty good list of international contacts, I am confident the right pieces to the puzzle will be put together to make a world class event.'

Two other key pieces were revealed by Iturrate. ',b>Gilberto Villela,/b> of JJ Pro Gear will be working on event coordination. He is located in southern California, and that is our first choice for location. We have a lot of options, and Gilberto will be the man 'on the floor' wherever the event is held.'

'Brian Cimins of Grapplers Quest has been certified by the ADCC's Lubomir Guedjev as one of the judges for the event' adds Iturrate. 'This is a key addition. With the GRAPPLERS QUEST, he has an excellent, national, grass roots grappling event, and we hope to use some of that infrastrucutre to have amatuer tournaments using the official ADCC rules. His understanding of the ADCC system is integral. We are planting the seeds to have 1000's of amateurs competing under the ADCC Submission Wrestling system in a few years. That is a huge advancement that Brian adds.'

ADCC 2005 - OFFICIAL Site and Date Announced!
Submitted by: ADCC NEWS
Posted On 09/09/2004

THE PYRAMID in LONG BEACH, California to Host the 6th Submission Wrestling World Championships on Memorial Day Weekend, 2005 (May 28th and 29th)

'Co-promoter Gilberto Villela is finishing up the deal for the arena very soon' reveals ADCC spokesperson Miguel Iturrate. 'The PYRAMID, where U CAL Long Beach plays there basketball games, is a state of the art arena built in the 1990's. We have good receptions from the school, the city, the local authorities. Gilberto has really done his homework, and the time has come to tell the Grappling world - next year, all eyes will be on Long Beach, California'!

Much more to come on this event as things develop. 'We have a few surprises left up our sleeves, but getting the venue taken care of and signed is the immediate focus. Look for more details in the weeks and months to come, and look out for the North American Trials, scheduled for Vernon, Canada on Spetember 18th' concludes the spokesman.

I don't believe on West Coast x East Coast thing is more about talent , good trainning , good coaches , dedication and a lot of heart.

Lets take Brazil for example; Rio de Janeiro is know as the meca of BJJ right ,but the sport has grown in Brazil so much that it has grows regionally as well . Look at the BJJ World Championships , you see will see Champions and great fighter/competitor from all over Brazil and all over the world as well;

A few examples;

Marcelo Garcia Minas Gerais

Jacare Manaus

Bibiano Fernandes Manaus

Saulo and Xande Ribeiro Manaus

Braulio Estima Espirito Santos

Demian Maia Sao Paulo

Andre Galvão Sao Paulo

and many more............. Rio still know as the Meca of BJJ but these guys are killing thru their brackets and proving that is more about the persona than their city.

Who here feels like a second-class citizen? No need for that.

The ADCC venue is about finding the place with the best local amenities for the spectators: hotels, airport, transportation, attractions of the family, etc. 90% of those athletes who qualify for the event will show up wherever it is held.

my apologies for not crediting you. You guys put on an incredible two day show in 05 and i just hope 07 is a repeat performance

Bon jovi by armbar!

Everyone has said how it is good to move ADCC around but eventually they should choose ONE place to have it.
The Mundials and Pan Ams are in the same place every year will ADCC eventually follow suit?

At this point it is in a grass roots phase so I dont think it is as critical but wouldnt it make sense to eventually stick with one location?

In addition, will they ever switch Abu Dhabi from year to year, Im not sure why its held every two years?

Mundials and Pan-Ams are BJJ competitions. ADCC is submission wrestling. In other words, not the same. Morever, the Pan-Ams have not always been held in L.A. nor is there a final word on it being there as well. Moving it around and not having it year to year gives it an Olympic-style quality.

Besides, would you be really happy if they decided to hold it in Abu Dhabi every time (like they used to)? Kinda far from your precious California then, wha? =^)