PRIDE 33 Diaz vs Gomi

11 Likes

This was the talk of the Net when this went down back in the day. Diaz got the upset at the time, it’s bullshit they didn’t give him that win because of marijuana

7 Likes

NO Doubt !!!

2 Likes

This is the fight that made Diaz my favorite fighter

3 Likes

diazvsgomi

2 Likes

This is the fight (and post fight, lol) that made me a fan. I came into it pulling hard for Gomi too.

1 Like
7 Likes

The bets still paid though. I got trigg and diaz that night both at +300

1 Like

Pride 33 was one of the greatest MMA events ever.

9 total fights, with only 1 going the distance.

4 KOs.

4 Submissions.

9 Likes

I’ll reference this fight when people start the “which Diaz was better” threads. At that moment you could legitimately make the argument that Nick was the best fighter, pound for pound, in the world. At no time could you make the same argument about Nate. Nick was special and the NSAC completely fucked him (and us) out of his spot as one of the greats.

2 Likes

Nick was always better than Nate. There’s no argument to be made for Nate being better. Nate was only a bigger name cause of the Conor fight

Nick would have killed Conor. Both times. Wouldn’t even be competitive

3 Likes

agreed , and Gray was an up and comer

Edited

Gomi was the #1 lightweight on the planet going into this and a massive star in Japan. I remember thinking he would whoop Diaz and boy was I wrong. This fight really elevated Nick to the next level and made him a huge star.

4 Likes

Wrong Diaz you fucking racist idiot

My bad. I’ll edit my post

I remember watching that the morning after it happened screaming drinking coffee and my gf at the time not being amused…

So great

1 Like

I remember this whole interview being gold. I cracked up so hard at the “he threw a fucking hadouken or some shit” line. Also the part of the interview where he notices Gomi walked behind him.

Nick was essentially the last Pride LW champion.

Funny how everyone knows they never cared about roids, but of course when an American gets an upset over their last Japanese star they pop him for fuckin weed, lol.

1 Like

Nick was probably 20 pounds heavier during the fight and got dropped hard. Gomi had that freakish power

2 Likes