Prime Ken Shamrock vs Rickson in Pride?

I know Royce beat Ken 3 times and Royce is nothing in the Gracie hierarchy. Still Royce put up against the best instead of talking about fighting the best.

Who would have won in Pride, master Rickson or the king of ankle locks Ken?

• Rickson by armbar
  • Ken by KO
  • Ken by heel hook

0 voters

Rickson.

1 Like

Ricksons NHB isnt as impressive as his GJJ.He beats a prime Ken,but loses to a prime Frank Shamrock.

8 Likes

I think Ken could win if he fought smart. If he dropped for a leg lock I think Rickson wins. If he uses his size and strength to keep it standing I think he wins. He could grease like Vanderlei too

2 Likes

Ken wins. Ken’s wrestling was too good for Rickson and there’s no way Rickson could take him down. He was too tight in the guard to be caught with anything.

1 Like

I dont know if you know this but Rickson rolled with 3 time NCAA Champ,2 time World Champ & 1 time Olympic Champion Mark Schultz & tapped him a few times.Im sure Rickson could handle Ken`s wrestling.

Like I say…it`s when you throw in punches to the equation is where Rickson is not as dangerous.

3 Likes

Mark knew zero about sub grappling at the time and still had Rickson on a cradle for 20 minutes. If he could have throw knees he would have KOed Rickson.

9 Likes

Prime Ken was the version we saw at UU96… hard to say how he’d approach a fight vs Rickson . Back then he was not a striker and focused on ground and pound or submissions … could he take Rickson down and pound him without getting submitted?

Rickson was not a great mma fighters from what we’ve seen and never fought anyone similar to prime Ken

2 Likes

Petey my heart.

6 Likes

I could see it going either way and I would favor Ken, but Ken can find ways to lose so I chose Rickson. Even in UU’96 I was so excited to see him win it but broke his hand in a win. From g&p… UFC 3 he pulled out when he should’ve won. Like a whole MMA career of that shit.

3 Likes

Since when did Ricksons game rely on taking anyone down. Shamrock probably would take him down right into Ricksons guard and then it’s just a matter of time.

2 Likes

this is madness. that fight would look like a piece of meat getting obliterated in a vice. Rickson via elbows from rear mount, not choke

2 Likes

This is how I see it.

1 Like

There’s a difference between rolling on the ground and starting on the feet with strikes allowed. No way Rickson takes Ken down.

2 Likes

no way Ken avoids making a mistake in this fight, are you kidding me. his mind would be going cunty booby and he’d totally fuck everything up.

but even if Ken fought well, the grappling advantage was such that Rickson could pull guard from the clinch, and methodically work Ken in to a living death.

1 Like

People have way too high an opinion of Rickson. Who has he beat? His biggest win was a past his prime Funaki. Outside of that, he has beaten nobody of worth. Ken was about 220lbs of iron, even Dan Severn had problems taken him down.

Look at Rickson’s fight with Yamamoto. He struggled to take down an out of shape, dad bod Yamamoto. He was great when the fight hit the mat, but his wrestling was nowhere near strong enough to put Ken on his back.

People are out of their fucking mind if they think Rickson wins.

6 Likes

OK dude, I’d love to have as much faith in Ken. feel a bit robbed actually. you make a decent point about quality of opposition. but I remain convinced Rickson would make the muscly gringo look limited.

as long as you accept that Rickson would have strangled Ken if his buttcheek touch the mat, then I think we can leave this as an honourable disagreement. despite your unkind words.

2 Likes

I agree with one of the posts here that Ken can be his worst enemy. He doesn’t always fight towards his strengths and loses fights he should have won. Rickson sticks to the game plan and I think would get stronger as the match went on.

If Ken learned anything from losing to Royce he would Keep it standing and try to stand up if Rickson pulled guard.

I think Ken would be the best talent Rickson ever faced but that isn’t to say he couldn’t win.

3 Likes

Rickson would have beaten anyone in that era

3 Likes

I’ll say that I can entertain that thought but he never tested himself against the best. He was called out by guys like Vanderlei and even Enson (who I think he would have beaten) and Saku, but instead fought cans

3 Likes