Prime Ken Shamrock vs Rickson in Pride?

I’m going with this. One hard hit, he goes down.

Kurt angle, 1997

not a chance Ken wrestled Angle in 97 Show me the source ? Angle was in Olympics 96 so tryouts 96 or 95 Ken was well into MMA by then

If you’re not being purposefully obtuse, you need to put the bong down. Angle confirmed the story in 97, about the trials held in Reno in 92

i could be wrong but he said he lost to the winner and Angle didnt win that year

Could he have meant one of the winners at the trials? Not Olympics.

Ha ha!

Good post and good observations.

I disagree on the percentages, but we will never really know anyways.

The Ken that fought in Pride was past his prime – but that version of Ken might have had a better chance vs Rickson based on game plan.
If he could sprawl & brawl and do even half the damage he was doing to Fujita, Rickson gets KOd.
Not that fujita was Ken’s best night, obviously not. Just Ken from around that time was a dangerous guy to tangle with on the feet – especially for a guy like Rickson with his chin up approach.

Prime Ken was mid to late 90s, and likely takes a more grappling oriented approach.
Maybe he game plans it differently based on Rickson’s reputation and no-gi???
I don’t know.

Agree about the Franklin and Kimbo fights.

1 Like

Baumgartner won the trials He may have won gold or placed Im not going to look it up.Coleman was the weight below in 1992

2 Likes

.oklahoman.com/article/2395165/state-wrestlers-face-olympic-trials-gauntlet?fbclid=IwAR0COcGfmMPvbptsHHq-11uJkRKoHKcKI1EK9u2wLgVglsMcJN0Thu7KmyI …theres the list he wasnt there or wrestled Angle

220 - Mark Coleman.

1. Bill Scherr; 2. Kirk Trost; 3. Chris Short; 4. Mini-tournament: Jerry Jackson, Pat Whitcomb, Perry Miller, Jeffery Green, Kurt Angle, Wayne Cole, Greg Haladay, Jon Llewellyn.

286 - Bruce Baumgartner.

Greg Elinsky; 2. Rob Koll; 3. Dan St. John; 4. Mini-tournament: Brandon Dennington, Junior Taylor, Nick Garone, Matt Lindland, Ken Ramsey, Will Short, Keenen Turner, Eddie Urbano.

180.5 - Kevin Jackson.

1. Royce Alger; 2. Melvin Douglas; 3. Dave Schultz; 4. Mini-tournament: James Gressley, Glen Amador, Michael Galvin, Michael Child, Booker Benford, Corey Olson, Mike Van Arsdale.

198 - Chris Campbell.

1. Dan Chaid; 2. Dan Mayo; 3. Rico Chiapparelli; 4. Mini-tournament: Derrick Waldroup, Mike Davies, Mark Kerr, Corey Olson, Rex Holman, Keith Davison, Dave Malecek.

220 - Mark Coleman.

1. Bill Scherr; 2. Kirk Trost; 3. Chris Short; 4. Mini-tournament: Jerry Jackson, Pat Whitcomb, Perry Miller, Jeffery Green, Kurt Angle, Wayne Cole, Greg Haladay, Jon Llewellyn.

286 - Bruce Baumgartner.

Pretty sure Ken was the 88 not 92.

92 Ken would have been in Japan.

Of course he did travel back and forth, so I suppose it’s possible.

You guys are gonna make me research this aren’t you??

some good wrestlers.Ken nor his other names are not on the list and was not invited or qualified for the trials.Angle may have said it to hype up a Pro Match

Braco said 1992 against Angle…I could be wrong but will be very suprised if u can prove Ken was in the trials…If u can Ill buy u a beer or ice cream

1 Like

all those weights were stacked from guys who qualified or invited…Dan Mayo wrestled a few towns from me was one of NYs best ever but didnt make team or win NCAAss he took 2nd

angle would have been a freshman in 88 and doubt he tried out But Ill research it if get a chance later

Not big on ice cream LOL

Ken would stand no chance at the Olympic trials as a high school wrestler. I watched Jeff Monson enter a regional Olympic trials and get tech falled in about 20 seconds due to the freestyle back exposure rules. Monson was a D1 wrestler.

4 Likes

Ken basically said he didn’t understand the rules.

no, angle did not make the team that year to my recollection. After seeing the first couple UFC’s he recognized ken as the guy he had faced at reno, said ken didn’t have a clue about freestyle, having only wrestled folk previously, but was strong as shit with good, if unorthodox technique.

1 Like