Pro's Picks - Belfort vs Franklin

This is an interesting fight but at a strange catch weight. It seems just a match for matches sake. Rich wants to fight at 205 and Vitor at 185. I think they should fight in their respective division. Neither guy gains anything from this match.

Saying that both guys are very talented. Both a strikers. Both are Southpaws. Both have functional grappling but generally prefer to bang. If both guys come to put on a show we could have some fireworks. Vitor works very well in straight line. Rich likes his angles. Belfort is predominantly a puncher but has shown flashes of a more rounded game in previous fights. Rich of late has really been working on his arsenal. Adding more kicks and knees to his repitoire. If it stays a striking match you could see some very technical and exciting exchanges.

I think we could see both guys use their standup to test the waters and if problems arise go to the ground to neutralise the risk. Both have good takedowns but neither is spectacular in that area. I think Belfort has the stronger ground game (being and ADCC Veteran) though Rich has shown time and time again that he is no slouch on the ground.

The real question is how will Vitor fare in the later rounds. He has shown he can win early with spectacular results. How will he do being pushed to the 3rd round. How will he handle the pressure if he gets as good as he gives. That is one of Vitors downfalls earlier in his career. Has he overcome those obstacles. From what I have seen I think he has. From my observations he seems a much more focussed and balanced fighter in the best shape of his career.

I think we will see an exciting back and forth match. I can see either guy tagging the other and finishing with a TKO. I don't expect a submission unless one of the guys hurts the other first. If it is a finish it will most likely be from a big punch or some gnp.

Saying that I think the weight class and Rich's versatility may come out in this match. I think Rich will show a variety of attacks working the angles and keeping Vitor from moving forward effectively. I think Vitor will show some brilliance in this match and show that he is definitely a contender at 185. Though it is a tough call and I think it can go either way I am going against the majority and I am picking Rich via decision.

Elvis - It's good to be the King.

Mine will be shorter:  Depends on which Vitor shows up.

Rich wins.

"I think we will see an exciting back and forth match. I can see either guy tagging the other and finishing with a TKO. I don't expect a submission unless one of the guys hurts the other first. If it is a finish it will most likely be from a big punch or some gnp."

Vitor can do this.

I don't see Rich on the receiving end.

If belfort is able to finish early he wins.

If it goes past the 2nd round I think Franklin might edge out a victory with his slow and steady kind of pace.

Franklin winning?

Fitty disagrees!

I like vitor by speed and agression.

I think this is vitors remergence into elite 185ers.

The only thing I dont like is that its been a LONG time since he has been in the UFC how will that affect him?

Im still going with belfort via tko

Said it in another thread, I love your essay "Pro Picks" Elvis.

I tend to agree with what you say, both are capable of knocking the other guy out and Rich has really improved his all around game of late. His kicking against Hamill was excellent and he seems to be improving with age.

I'm going for a Franklin win, I think a 3rd round TKO is possible.

Franklin break him mentally and grind out the W.

Nice analysis as always.

I feel that Vitor is back on track and will be able to take care of Franklin. Or so i hope.

Vitor by tko rd 3

I think Vitor will have enough energy to last in a 3 round fight, especially if it stays on the feet. I think Vitor will catch Franklin with some big shots and take a decision.

I always find it hard NOT to root for Vitor........

but this fight just seems like a dumb idea all around

It is definitely an interesting match up. This will definitely tell us where Vitor is in the Middleweight division. It will also let us know how Rich has improved and handles an aggressive technical striker.

"Neither guy gains anything from this match."

I should have been more specific. Of course they receive recognition, acclaim and monetary reward. I meant neither gains anything in progressing their position in their desired weight class and moving them forward towards a title shot.

Elvis

What about JDS VS CC? Who have you got? Will you have another extensive analysis written up for that fight as well?

TTT

Hmmm... I wasn't going to but if there is interest there I just might...

And where is Kirik... This is supposed to be a sticky. My poll said people want it... Give the people what they want!

KIRIK!!!

Elvis :)

Yay the PEOPLE!!!

Think Vitor will ko him.