PSA: Ariel Helwani is the best interviewer in MMA

VTFU???

Not sure what that means.

J ak

bam57bam - Can someone clear up this Cro Cop situation? I know some people are butthurt about it so I would like to know what was said exactly.

There was a rumor about Crocop quitting the UFC after losing a fight. Ariel then went off on how Crocop sucks...blah blah blah

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&thread=1473899.

"
See: his recent interview with Joe Stevenson where he claimed that Fischer flew out to Vegas specifically to ask for the Stevenson fight when that is an outright lie. "

Well, that's what Dana and Joe said in the post-fight press conference. You might know better though.

fob - 
bam57bam - Can someone clear up this Cro Cop situation? I know some people are butthurt about it so I would like to know what was said exactly.

There was a rumor about Crocop quitting the UFC after losing a fight. Ariel then went off on how Crocop sucks...blah blah blah

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&thread=1473899.

Let's tell the whole story though...

Dana confirmed Cro Cop was gone at the time. It ended up being a big miscommunication, but at the time, Dana said that yes, Cro Cop was gone. That's what he told the reporters at the event, and so obviously they believed it to be true.

I know some people will say "You can't believe Dana," but he would have no reason to lie about this. And really, he didn't lie, it was a communication breakdown.

I like his interviews, only ones worth watching.

Monsters Ball -
THP -
Jons Forsberg - yup, just don't get why he had to go out of his way to suck Dana's balls on the whole Crocop fiasco. A smart, talented guy who was selling himself short, He didn't need any of that.

Still mad about this? God forbid people have a different opinion than you. Maybe you should get crocops nuts out of your mouth. If those rumors were true then crocop woulda indeed been a douchebag.

Maybe you should get Dana's nuts out of your mouth. Whether true or not most "journalists" would wait for a rumor to be substantiated before going off on somebody.

Did you just repeat the exact post I responded to? Now I understand why your post count is so high, you fucking tool.

When he asked Fedor about the sweater.... He became my favorite interviewer.. (no homo)

Ariel is the best.

Jons Forsberg - 
THP - 
Jons Forsberg - yup, just don't get why he had to go out of his way to suck Dana's balls on the whole Crocop fiasco. A smart, talented guy who was selling himself short, He didn't need any of that.
Still mad about this? God forbid people have a different opinion than you. Maybe you should get crocops nuts out of your mouth. If those rumors were true then crocop woulda indeed been a douchebag.
I don't have a problem with him having an opinion, my problem was that his "opinion" was based on rumors that turned out false. He came across as quite a bitch also, which put not only his intelligence, but also his integrity in question.
It wasnt a rumour though at the time. It was a fact. Dana said Crocop told him he was fighting at Dream.

Then Dana retracted that statement and said it was a misscommunication. The reality was that Mirko was leaving but then Dana had to lie and say it was some media mishap so he could get Mirko to fight again.

If anything Dana and Mirko are to blame for that situation. Mirko for leaving, Dana for telling the media and then blaming the media haha.

Ariel has been the best for years now, but it's going to take a longer amount of time for me to forget all of the out of line shit he said about Cro Cop. Whether he was right or wrong in that situation, nobody in the MMA media should be wishing bad things upon any fighters whether it be injuries or going on a losing streak and retiring.

aaww im gonna look like a lil bitch under kirik...but Ariel is seriously the best. i have him subscribed on youtube and watch his interviews as soon as they come up

Jons Forsberg - 
lookoutawhale - It wasnt a rumour though at the time. It was a fact.
It was never a fact. Crocop would be fighting in DREAM now if it was.
Jons Forsberg -  I'd put Ellie Seckbach, Steve Cofield and many others ahead of him, because they have more credibility.

It was Steve Cofield who broke the story from what Kevin Iole said. Kevin is basically Dana's mouthpiece. Dana talked to Mirko in the lockerroom after the fight like he does with every other fighter.

At this point you have  -Dana -Steve Cofield -Kevin Iole mimicking the same thing. Steve wrote that Mirko told Dana he was leaving.

Mirko and Dana are both lying. Dana was telling the truth when this occured but then lied when he retracted the statement to save face and resign Mirko. You think Dana would just make this up out of nowhere? Mirko obiviously told him in the backroom he was leaving causing Dana to get mad. Dana knowing that Mirko had no intention of coming back started this smear campaign against Mirko to make him look bad. Then pretended he had no idea where this came from when he got Mirko to re-sign.

---------------

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/UFC-99-postfight-Cro-Cop-screws-over-Dana-White?urn=mma,170019

UFC 99 postfight: Cro Cop screws over Dana White and MMA fans

The story of the postfight action was Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic telling UFC president Dana White he didn't want to sign with the UFC longterm. Technically he couldn't because he informed White that he had already signed a three fight deal with DREAM in Japan.

No shocker, White told Yahoo! Sports Kevin Iole he was not happy:

"Isn’t that a dirty (expletive) thing to do?” White asked rhetorically after being queried about Filipovic’s deal with DREAM. “He (expletived) me. The first time in the history of the company I do one over the phone. He promised me a three-fight deal and he (expletived) me.”

-----------

then in the yahoo mailbag 3 days after Kevin was asked again to retract this statement but reaffirmed that Mirko is now lying. For him to think this strongly about it he must have talked to Dana first hand like he ususally does.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-mmamailbag061609&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Mailbag: Still climbing

‘Cro Cop’ heading to DREAM

I think you should definitely retract your report on Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic leaving the UFC, especially the way you made it seem like Mirko was the bad guy. Mirko responded to these rumors and said, “I don’t know why Dana fell for the hype and rumors before talking to me. I hoped we could talk to continue working together, and the only problematic thing is how long I have to wait between the fights. I don’t want to sit at home for months and wait for somebody to call me to fight. I’m grateful for the opportunity in Cologne, and despite Dana’s harsh words, I’m ready to prolong my contract.”

Ian Miller

Houston

Cro Cop is absolutely, 100 percent going to fight in DREAM. His quotes were an attempt to save face, because he did not realize that media knew about the situation. He plans to run for political office again in his native Croatia when his fighting days are done and doesn’t want a story in the public that he went back on his word. That, of course, is exactly what he did. He is going to fight for DREAM in July, September and on New Year’s Eve, barring injuries. Bank on that. And also bank on the fact that he will never fight in the UFC again.

i'd say he's the best interviewer in MMA

Jons Forsberg - Steve Cofield merely quoted what Dana White said. He didn't pass any judgement on anybody on what turned out to be an untrue rumor.

I can't fault the fans/media/Ariel for getting mad for Dana/Mirko lying.

It was no rumour. For Iole to be that sure about what happend in the lockeroom that he wouldnt retract his statement on how Mirko tried to screw UFC, Dana told him what really happened. Once Dana got the media to make Mirko look bad, Mirko had no choice but to lie and pretend it never occured and Dana had no choice but to pretend it was a misunderstanding so he could resign him.

hi Steve.

He reminds me of david blaine. I'm just waiting for him to start levitating during an interview.

itoshii -   Relatively good wit/quick on his feet, can tailor questions based on responses and not act like a machine reading shit off an outline

Asks interesting questions, not hackneyed ones

Perfect cadence and enunciation.  Doesn't sound like an English as Second Language teacher, e.g. "It . . . is ... goooood ... to ... . have .... you ..... here..."

Other MMA Interviewers, TAKE NOTE!!!

I bet he would go to prom with u

He's a great interviewer.

He's very good.

Can you guys name three other MMA interviewers?

I'm still waiting for a real apology to Cro Cop. Not a fan of Ariel whatever his last name is.