Pull ups swinging??

Whats the deal with these swinging pull ups? Is it better to do more pull-ups while swinging the legs and body, or is it better to to pause at the bottom and do the pull up just with the arms??????

Well this could be interesting.

What about those hula hoop pullups? Anyone wanna give me the lowdown on those?

If you're not trying for some pullup competition, and just want to train your back strength, yeah. No harm, no foul. If you need to kip, then kip when needed. I would prefer to do my sets at strict dead hang to adam's apple over the bar, but I can't do every rep that way.

sits back, grabs popcorn

Wiggy - http://www.workingclassfitness.com

Swingers are usually old weirdos that you wouldn't want to do pullups with anyway. They aren't hot chicks who are dying to do pullups with anyone like in your fantasies.

It's not like you'll walk into the copy room one day and there's this hot chick who asks you out of the blue if you want to do some pullups.

here. go nuts.

http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=5010

Topic has been covered ad nauseam in many forums.

Really though, the subject has just become a proxy in the Anti/Pro-Crossfit debate.

I'd suggest incorporating a variety of pullup variations into your workouts.

"Zach

As far as Crossfit goes you are missing the point. What we care about above all other things is Power - that is; work divided by time or, equivalently, (Force x distance)/time.

The reason we care about Power more than strength or endurance or even speed, is that power output is what taxes the whole human system - and ellicits a neuroendocrine response.

The whole point of most of our named workouts (and most of the workouts that aren't named), is to measure/challenge power output.

When we increase an individuals ability to output power we observe a corollary increase in absolute strength, speed, endurance and stamina. If workouts are designed to increase absolute strength, strength is the only area of improvement.

Strength is good, but we are greedy and want impovement in all areas of fitness! So, Kipping is the way to go most of the time. It is not about what feels/works the best to you, it's about power output.

Regards
Dave Werner
Crossfit North"

This quote from the above crossfit forum makes sence now. I usually see these done coupled with other sets like pushups or power squats. Thanks for the replies.

Chalupa - Swingers are usually old weirdos that you wouldn't want to do pullups with anyway. They aren't hot chicks who are dying to do pullups with anyone like in your fantasies.

It's not like you'll walk into the copy room one day and there's this hot chick who asks you out of the blue if you want to do some pullups.

great post!

Those damn CrossFitters -- always causing trouble!

Seems like this thread has been answered, but here is my .02.

I wondered the same thing about kipping pull ups compared to dead hang pull ups and the following was explained to me.

Basically look at the shoulder press vs. push press. You use momentum on the push press compared to a shoulder press, but it's not cheating. It is just a different move.

I just view kipping pull ups as another training exercise... not as a replacement for regular pull ups.

Hope that made some sort of sense.

Ring Girl - Those damn CrossFitters -- always causing trouble!

Damn hooligans. ;-)

i've been shown pull-ups only one way, just hang and pull up. that's how everyone at the gym performs them. sometimes if the pull-up station is busy i use the smith machine which is a straight bar, i can do 10 reps on that, just.

on the normal pull-up station my first set i can manage 8 tops, the next 2-3 sets i can manage 4-5 at the most. i am really struggling and almost too embarrassed to try when i see others guys banging them out with ease.

what exercises can i perform instead of pull-ups to help my get stronger in a way to improve my pull-ups? are chin-ups worthwhile? i can manage 3 sets of 10 chin-ups without much trouble.

i've never seen anyone swinging their body during pull-ups but will look into it. maybe it's good for a weakling like me to get started and improve proper pull-ups.

No such thing as a "wrong" way of doing anything, IMHO.

If you're training for a specific effect, use the "correct" form that results in THAT effect.

If you use a technique that DOESN'T result in your intended effect, then obviously you're doing something "wrong."

makes butter for popcorn