Pulling guard without penalties???

lol, will he also be wielding a chainsaw?

Josh, I got the impression you were trying to run the guy off the forum, which I don't agree with, regardless of how you worded it.

You used to be able to pull the head back using the guys forehead, but the interpretation of "face" was changed. It had to be done carefully though, no jerking or twisting.

The "gogoplata" is legal in Judo, but no, you can't rest your foot or shin on the guys face as you work in the choke.

Ben R.

Ben.. on this one.. i simply say "whatever"

So you can choke with the shin/instep?

Josh,

Thank you for your kind help! U have a problem with BJJ don't you?........What happened?? got subbed silly by one of them? Don't like how efficient BJJ is???..... All I asked is a simple question. I have recently joined a judo club that I will represent as well as I can. I bought books in order to know the rules of judo better. I'm am just asking you guys for some more help. I love sport and martial arts. I would study all of them if I could. I never wanted to disrespect judo's etiquette and rules. That is exactly why I want to learn more about it.....so I never go into a tournament and be disrespectful to my fellow competitors. Peace Josh.

Looks like Joshua Resnick has tough love.

lol. actually, i like bjj a lot. way more than youd ever know. i think its an awesome art and can be the best compliment to judo, period. =)

my problem is with people coming into judo tournaments who havent made the effort to actually belong there. i dont want to see anymore lawsuits because of morons coming into something as dangerous as judo and getting broken in half, or vice-versa of a judo guy going into a bjj tournament, etc..

you, in your orginal post, shoulda been intelligent enough to state that you have already joined a judo club and just want to be clear on the rules. instead you represented yourself as the type of fella who enters a judo tournament without a clue about whats going on, gets wrecked and then sues.

then again, seek, if you wanted to know how easily i get "subbed silly" you could always find out for yourself. we could also find out how well you take a fall.

Big Mussels,
i have a ton of tough love in me. there are too many people here, and in other places, who dont. there are just hard truths that should be respected and im prick enough to say so outright. all the same, im the first guy to say when im wrong or help anybody in any way i can.

"So you can choke with the shin/instep? "

As far as I know, shin is OK, instep probably not, as that is part of your foot.

Gogoplata isn't going to be very effective in shiai, although it does look cool. In randori, I've used it, but the chance does not come up very often.

I think it's called "Kakato Jime" in Judo, which means Heel Strangle.

Ben R.

Josh,

This argument could go back and forth for a long,long time. I just asked a simple question! And I do not want to waste more of my time....Go focus on your gold medal instead of wasting your time arguing over petty things, challenging people you don't even know......You don't see Kosei Inoue doing that here do you? Go train man! I very sincerely wish you good luck for what you want to obtain, it is going to be very hard but as an athlete I know how important this goal must be for you. Thanks for your help, I want to go train now. I'm going to Brazil very soon and I'll need to be ready.........Peace Josh (for real this time :) Cheers!

seek,
take care and have a fun n safe trip to BRA. doesnt matter which foot we got off on, either works well in the end. lol. thanks for the well wishes. talk to you some other time. toodles.

""So you can choke with the shin/instep? "
As far as I know, shin is OK, instep probably not, as that is part of your foot."

The only problem for me seems to lie in the no head pulling rule, so you have to reach across the back of the head and grab your toes to secure the choke....then again i have gumby legs, so its a very fast setup for me, like Ben said, the opportunity probably doesnt come up much....and the refs probably wouldnt know what you are doing anyways ;)

you can pull the head, so long as you are pulling it DOWN (chin to chest) and do not enter the mask area of the face. pulling the head in the direction of the spine is illegal as its dangerous and can cause sever injury.

Another question that arose tonight. I was sprawling on someone as they came to their knees from side control. I took a head and arm and put my weight on them and they told me this was illegal.

Is this true? I wasn't going for a guillotine, just trying to break the grip they had on my pants legs.

taking the head and arm is not at all illegal. fact, its good judo. if i were you id ask exactly what was illegal about it becuase otherwise it just sounds like sangakyu to me.

unless you committed dojime or some other violation i cannot understand why anybody would say that. ask for claification from the fella and then ask your head coach about it. this guy could very well need a rules refreshing.

Thanks, at the time it was easier to skip it, BTW, thanks for all the help Josh.

Taking a head and arm shouldn't be a problem, estanmilko. Now, if you did that and slammed the guy really hard onto his face, that would be a problem.

Ben R.

EM, anytime. my pleasure.

no. i dont.
did i call him an idiot or anything? no. i just told him to go away with stupid questions like that. and, it is stupid. how the hell isnt it?

there were only 2 possible ways somebody would ask that.. 1. their judo coach didnt tell them (in which case the person would most likely say he does judo but just wants to know the rules about it, somehting this guy didnt do...) or 2. he doesnt belong in a judo tournament anymore than i do a bjj tournament and just wants to enter it becuase he is too stupid to do things with respect.

logical and reasonable assumptions. if youd notice, i did answer the question honestly and completly. i just also threw in an extra bit about how stupid it oculd potentially be if in fact #2 was the case.

damn people here are too thin skinned. somebody should stick-up for whats right and fair in regards to this. all of us want harmony between judo and bjj, but nobody is fuckin willing to say lets do it in a way that doesnt get people snapped in half and sued.

i call BULLSHIT. loud and clear.

we all need to lead by example...

the point is, was the question answered?

yes.
it was.
some people, a mod included, are just too damn thin skinned.
like i said.. im calling bullshit.