Purpose for triceps

in terms of mma and grappling I was just wondering what the benefits are of building up your triceps...how will it benefit the fighter/grappler? what actions greatly involve the tricep? thanx bros.

What do you mean by "building up?"

The triceps are involved in any elbow extension, and all elbow stabilization, as well as having some glenohumeral stabilization, and flexion effects as well.

-doug-

I think doug is missing the point.

Your triceps are there primarily to look cool when your arm swings backwards while walking. If you really want to show them off make sure to extend your elbow fully and give them a little pop.

Duh.

You can't pose properly if you don't have good triceps...

I saw this dude attempting to do kickbacks OUTSIDE of the squat rack the other day.

LOL @ him.

your tricep is used any time you straighten your arm out. But it is only going to make up a small percentage of your punching power.

Your question screams of "isolation". There are very, very few things in MMA that involve one muscle being isolated. A punch is done with a drive off the legs, rotation from the midsection and then extension of the pecs,shoulders and tricep.

Any time you "build a frame" from the bottom defensively you are using your triceps (among other things).

You need them. Any well rounded program that has pushing and pulling movements will work the triceps and they will be there when you want them to.

TAKU

I got a quite big triceps just by grappling.

"Any time you "build a frame" from the bottom defensively you are using your triceps (among other things). "

well when you defend an armbar you are doing a preacher curl.

well when you defend an armbar you are doing a preacher curl.

But it's not effective for really blasting the lower biceps outside peak because there's no squat rack around.

^^^true

bicep peak is the key to armbar defense.

Also leg curls are the best defense for knee bars. the lying leg curl, not the seated ones.

(this is just getting silly. LOL)

You guys no what I am talking about...so nock it off already.

Don't make me come back there.

TAKU

I'm talking about the best possible way to develop the lower, outer, peak to the biceps. The only way to possibly do this is with a preacher curl bench set up backwards in a squat rack/power cage used with a dumbbell.

Do six or seven sets with a slightly different angle each time and make sure you hit every fiber.

I do beleive King Otter (who's gotta be the biggest fucking otter you will ever see) has the basics of armbar defense covered.

Your triceps are involved anytime you push things away from your body. There are many times you push things from your body while grappling, striking, living. To work this muscle push things away from your body. Anything ending in "press" is a good idea. If you're spending your time with kickbacks, skull crushers, extensions... you are wasting your time.

I'm developing a deadly kick used from the turtle position against a standing opponent. I use the glute kick back machine. I'm up to 60 pounds so far.