Q: What Makes A Great Tourney?

What makes a great Tourney?

I hope we do.

www.texassubmission.com

Excellent!

Fair, non-biased reffing and judging seems to be the most important thing for you guys, and we understand where you're coming from.

I hope you believe us when we say that we totally agree. Andy Wang will be reffing most of the fights for our tourney, and, if you know the guy, you'll also know that he values fairness over any 'team pride'. I think you'll be impressed by how we do things.

Any more? Keep 'em coming!

ttt

ttt

ttt

Quality fighters and no injuries.

ttt

Seems that unbiased reffing wins, but there must be other stuff you'd like to see.

Had some great input so far, and we are taking note.

Anything else before I let the thread die?

Thanks, MMTM, but I think we're flogging a dead horse.

Took notes of the responses we got, though.

lowwwwwww costs, make it like those judo tournies that used to be like 25-30 to enter, gi and no-gi divisions, round robin, no bjj bs like brazilians getting favors, don't set it up to make a big profit (it really shines through), make it inexpensive for spectators to come and enjoy the sport (more exposure!), get rid of team medals (no one needs to see a million kids from your school enter just so you can win a team trophy), dont attach too many huge names that are going to suck money away from creating a great functioning tournament, find quality superfights that want to fight because they love the sport and not big pay checks, and figure out a way to make it happen all the time so that guys get a lot more experience fighting. Good refs, no scams.

the key is organization..and avoid the "arnold classic" syndrome.

Good post frenchfries. Our entry fee is actually equivalent to US$30. We will have go and no-gi divisions next time, but for the first torney it's gi only. We'd prefer to do round robin, but will not have enough time in the facility we have. We're having double elimination, though, so entrants are guaranteed at least two bouts.

As for favors, we strongly believe in fairness over 'team advantages'. None of us here - competitors or instructors - wants to win unfairly. I think I can safely say that we can guarantee unbiased refereeing. You can quote me on that. We're sportsmen.

Profits? There may be some profit from the tourney, but we're more than likely looking at a loss. In the long run, we want to make money off tournaments, of course, as we work in this business full time and tourneys take a lot of organization (if done properly). We are not after 'huge' profits. Quality is more important to us.

Spectators can watch for free at our venue (a huge, modern shopping mall), and there'll be plenty of people watching, as it's a very busy mall. The arena is in the middle of a three-tiered section of the mall, so there will be crowds of people watching from three different levels. Our goal is to promote the sport.

The team trophy will only go to adults who fight. Andy can give more info about that. No big names taking any money from our tourney, though Baret Yoshida will be overseeing everything to ensure fairness and correct procedure.

Agree totally about superfighters fighting for the loev of the sport. Sincerely hope we can help promote that attitude.

And yes, we aim to have tournaments regularly.

We believe the reffing will be excellent, and we will definitely have no scams. In return, we ask that all competitors behave respectfully and, in the unlikely event of any grievance, that they lodge any complaints or concerns in the correct manner.

We realy hope to lead the way in fair, quality competition. We're doing it for the love of the sport.

I hope you can sense my sincerity; if you have any more suggestions, we are all ears. Thanks for the post.

Sanmok, that's exactly what we want to avoid. Our instructor (and tourney ref) Andy Wang has been on the receiving end of 'discriminatory decisions' many times in his competition career, and it's something he will not let happen at his own event. It's bad for the sport we love. Thanks for the post.

Any more? We really want to hear what you guys expect.

Cheers,

Sean McCormack

Taipei Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy

Nei how ma.

Fly me out to Taipei so i can practice my Mandarin and win your tournament. :). Quality reffing, standard rules that are clear cut so there is no confusion, DO NOT FAVOR BRAZILIANS! God I hate that, you have to utterly destroy Brazilians to beat them in BJJ tournaments, allow all leg locks no heel hooks is for panzys.

Good luck!

Thanks for all your input and believe me, we are taking it to heart. Sean and I are doing our best to make this thing fly correctly. We also make a good organizing team because Sean has never been to a BJJ tournament in America and I have competed in about 30 of them. It's actually a good thing Sean has never been to one because he is looking at the tournament from a brand new perspective and injecting new ideas and I am trying to solve the myriad of problems I saw in America. Cheating. Ref bias. Weigh in scams. Exorbitant entry fees. Double standard in scoring and rules. I even had a match once where the referee was coaching his guy while I was fighting him! No human being is perfect, but we are going to try and make this tournament as clean and square as possible. I realize the importance of a tournament isn't the fancy medals or shirts, it's what happens on the mats. We're going to do our best, that's for sure! Thanks for the suggestions and wish us luck!

Sincerely,
Andy Wang
Taipei Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy

If you have a lot of entries, round robin is impossible, but DOUBLE ELIMINATION is much better than single elimination.

www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~duffman

A great tournament.

It has fair weight divisions, great refereeing, and low entry fee (€20 for your weight plus €10 for the absolute).

I got a text message confirmation of my preregistration (it's strictly pre-reg ONLY). The draw for the different categories has already been done (the competition is on tomorrow), so barring someone failing to make weight, you know who you'll be facing.

Also two high profile superfights on the day.

You keep saying that everyone says unbiased reffing but they are also saying LOW entry fees and ROUND ROBIN style tournament. This is just as important as unbiased reffing.

I think US$30 is low, no?

We simply do not have time for round robin, but we would like to do that in the future. Would need a location that will allow longer use, though, which we don't have right now.

Snooz, we like your suggestions and will do what we can next time around if not this time.

Keep 'em coming!

I competed in round robin tournaments before, and it is extremely fun and productive, but it does take a while and we simply don't have enough alloted time. We're holding the tournament at a brand new shopping center and they are closing down their eating area for us, which means they are onyl going to give us a few hours to do our thing.

Thanks for the input!

We had unbiased reffing, round robins in every division, and cheap entry (US$30). All in all, it was an excellent day, but do let us know how we can do better.

:-)