question about tilapia

Tilapia are shit-eating bottom feeder fish.

Does that contribute to the fact that they have a high concentration of omega-7 acids(which I have heard are bad)and therefore does eating tilapia often pose a health risk?

thanks in advance.

I don't know about omega-7 content, but I do know the following:

-They taste horrible, so bad they are not worth eating even if they were particularly healthy

-unless you caught them yourself, they are farm raised. Farm raised fish are typically fed grain-based feed and do not have the omega-3 profiles that wild caught fish have.

Tilapia isnt a great fish, but is still more healthy than US or Canadian beef. It is just really popular because it is a bland white fish that is easy to make taste good! Its cheap as shit in the US too!

I think tilapia taste great. Very popular fish. its either that or Salmon for me. I know alot of bodybuilders eat Tilapia and Orange Roughy.

This delicious, sweet-tasting fish is low in fat and carbohydrates and high in protein. A four-ounce serving (before cooking) contains 100 calories, with 25 of those calories from fat. A serving also provides 0.5mg saturated fat, 55mg cholesterol, 60g sodium, 21g protein, and 1g total carbohydrates.

So very low fat and carbs and high protein. I guess thats why so many weightlifters eat it.

Pretty awesome fish imo.

Omega-7 is very bad for your health:

Wikipedia:

Omega 7 was a small Cuban terrorist group based in Florida and New York made up of Cuban exiles whose stated goal was to overthrow Fidel Castro.

Tilapia, you'll be happy to know, when tested showed no detectable levels of Omega-7.

Omega 7 fatty acids are great. You can find bottles of it at any health food store or grocery store. Dont know if Tilapia has it, but if it does, +1 for the great fish Tilapia.

Tilapia is one of those fish that goes around eating dung...and you gonna eat that?

Dojosensei - Tilapia is one of those fish that goes around eating dung...and you gonna eat that?

Thats what im worried about.

chickens eats the bugs from cow shit. mushroom feed on decay, tomatoes, carrot, green beans etc are grown in compost (aka poop)

I wouldnt be too worried man. Id see if you like the taste more importantly.

Do we have to go back to the Dinosaur Rectum argument regarding where food comes from? If you like the taste and it's good for you, what's the problem?

I think Talapia is a great choice when making Ceviche.

TAKU T.N.T.

www.blackjackfitness.com

To be serious on the subject, I look at it like this:

Fish is better for an athlete than cake and candy. It may be a good alternative way to get protein without too much fat, and a way to get it and reduce your red meat intake.

Yes, there are some fish less desirable than others. There are 'fatty' or 'oily' fish such as Salmon, tuna, mackerel, and there are 'non-oily' fish like Tilapia.

From Wiki:

Species of fish that are long-lived and high on the food chain, such as marlin, tuna, shark, swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish, northern pike, and lake trout contain higher concentrations of mercury than others.

Tilapia is short-lived and not high on the food chain so it contains less mercury.

I would not advocate a diet of strictly Tilapia, though I do advocate getting a large portion of your protein from fish.

HTH.

Panic,then which fish should I eat every day?

V,

I'd do it like this. 

1. Write down what your protein sources are each day;

2. Try to reduce some of the red meat, but don't eliminate it entirely (say twice a week?);

3. Look over the list and analyze it for fat content (try to reduce to 30-60gm/day);

4. Try to reduce the fatty meats, including things like sausage and bacon (one 4 oz. serving/wk);

5. Substitute less fatty meats like chicken (skin removed), turkey, eggs (one yolk/2 whites), skim milk, and fish;

6. Get a range of different fish including some oily fish (no more than 4oz., 2-3x/week) and some non-oily fish;

7. Make sure you're getting 0.8-1gm of protein per pound of body weight.

Oily fish (3x/week)

Anchovies
Herring
Mackerel
Orange roughy
Salmon
Sardines
Swordfish
Trout
Tuna (fresh only)

Non-oily fish (4 oz., 3-4x/wk)

Catfish
Cod
Flounder
Haddock
Halibut
Marlin
Pollack
Red fish
Red Snapper
Tilapia
Tinned tuna
Turbot

HTH.

Thanks panic.

If you eat tilapia then what are you asking other peoples advice for?. Either you know what your doing and looking for attention or your a moron who just woke up one day eating tilapia. :) jk!

jeremy hamilton - If you eat tilapia then what are you asking other peoples advice for?. Either you know what your doing and looking for attention or your a moron who just woke up one day eating tilapia. :) jk!

LMAO

HERTSWENIP said it all about tilapia. They do not eat "shit", unless you (more or less accurately) use that word to describe their feed pellets. The corn-based feed leaves them with a disproportionate amount of Omega 6s, which is the last thing you likely want in your diet if you are worried about health.

As for taste, a personal matter, the flesh is generally very bland, which may lend itself quite well to sauces.

Just a few (minor) additions to Widespread Panic's excellent post:

I'd remove from the list orange roughy and marlin for sustainability reasons (severely overfished). Tuna, whether canned or fresh, has issues of its own based upon the species/method of catch. Google for more info. Swordfish is okay if caught in the US or Canada by methods which promote sustainability (handline, harpoon). Wild salmon is likely better than farmed salmon--any salmon marked as Atlantic Salmon is farmed.

I would never, ever eat a fish or any seafood that has been raised, caught, or processed in China unless I had personal knowledge that convinced me otherwise. The same goes, to a lesser extent, from other developing SE Asian countries such as Vietnam.

yw