Question for black belts, RE: IBJJF

Sorry, he actually says it at 57:54

BTTMike - 
sannyasin -
os3y3ris - I don't know what the market looks like in Australia, nor do I know which associations are active. Haven't been to that part of the world in years. In my search I've found $600, $1,000, $2,500, $3,500 and $4,500 depending on association, and the maximum rank available within the association. Up to brown, you can find free association in the Globe Trotters world wide, but you can not currently move up to black belt with them per IBJJF rules. It's an issue that is primarily relevant to instructors and assistant instructors. Otherwise its simply worked into your gym fees and you rep another team sometimes.

Sometimes associations, or the Federation itself can alter the agreements or change the rules. For example, under the Checkmat association, you need to be ranked third degree to promote students of any level. This is an important consideration when you're looking to run a dojo. There are also "per student", "per belt" and "renewal fees" to consider.

Now, the key here is not to think of these as teams, but as franchises. Its not a jiujitsu thing, but a business thing. So think carefully and ask about the fine print when you take that assistant instructor gig.

This is a bunch of horse shit. I train at Checkmat...
Idk about the affiliation fees, and wont pretend I do. But I know for sure any promotions past Blue are done by a 3rd degree or higher within Checkmat. Phone Post 3.0

With multiple people confirming the Checkmat 3rd degree thing, I think people can see that the information we are putting out checks out, and that Sannyasin's calling things "horseshit" is not based research, but on his personal protectiveness of the people and institutions we are talking about.

I got my black belt in 2009. I initially paid $400 for the fancy certificates and $30 renewal yearly for my card. Never heard of any "association fee" or anything else.
Oh yeah - my professor and the rest of my team left Gracie Barra on not so great terms and went independent and none of us have had trouble renewing. Phone Post 3.0

MMAHistoryProject - 
BTTMike - 
sannyasin -
os3y3ris - I don't know what the market looks like in Australia, nor do I know which associations are active. Haven't been to that part of the world in years. In my search I've found $600, $1,000, $2,500, $3,500 and $4,500 depending on association, and the maximum rank available within the association. Up to brown, you can find free association in the Globe Trotters world wide, but you can not currently move up to black belt with them per IBJJF rules. It's an issue that is primarily relevant to instructors and assistant instructors. Otherwise its simply worked into your gym fees and you rep another team sometimes.

Sometimes associations, or the Federation itself can alter the agreements or change the rules. For example, under the Checkmat association, you need to be ranked third degree to promote students of any level. This is an important consideration when you're looking to run a dojo. There are also "per student", "per belt" and "renewal fees" to consider.

Now, the key here is not to think of these as teams, but as franchises. Its not a jiujitsu thing, but a business thing. So think carefully and ask about the fine print when you take that assistant instructor gig.

Idk about the affiliation fees, and wont pretend I do. But I know for sure any promotions past Blue are done by a 3rd degree or higher within Checkmat. Phone Post 3.0

With multiple people confirming the Checkmat 3rd degree thing, I think people can see that the information we are putting out checks out, and that Sannyasin's calling things "horseshit" is not based research, but on his personal protectiveness of the people and institutions we are talking about.

So you're taking BTTMike's word over mine...why? Is that the extent of your research?

If BTTMike stands for Brazilian Top Team Mike, how would he know? I can only speak from my experience as a checkmat student. I have seen plenty of people in my academy get promoted by someone under 3rd degree black. Now if Leo, Leandro, or Rico are the ones approving it, that's a different story, but that has nothing to do with IBJJF requirements. And that's a FACT.

mjm345 - I got my black belt in 2009. I initially paid $400 for the fancy certificates and $30 renewal yearly for my card. Never heard of any "association fee" or anything else.
Oh yeah - my professor and the rest of my team left Gracie Barra on not so great terms and went independent and none of us have had trouble renewing. Phone Post 3.0

Matt Philips, Jordan Tabor care to explain explain this one..

Or is that just me posting under a different name?

os3y3ris - And Sanny, my last certified association was TLI. I never asked him to sign, nor would I.

This explains A LOT

sannyasin - 
MMAHistoryProject - 
BTTMike - 
sannyasin -

So you're taking BTTMike's word over mine...why? Is that the extent of your research?

If BTTMike stands for Brazilian Top Team Mike, how would he know? I can only speak from my experience as a checkmat student. I have seen plenty of people in my academy get promoted by someone under 3rd degree black. Now if Leo, Leandro, or Rico are the ones approving it, that's a different story, but that has nothing to do with IBJJF requirements. And that's a FACT.

(1) You do know that "multiple people" means more than one person, right?  

(2) Are you aware that when people say "Strawman" they're not referencing the Wizard of Oz?

Maybe they mean they have to pay an association fee to someone with a second degree in order to get a signature on their app? If so that's not really an ibjjf issue. Phone Post 3.0

os3y3ris - 
BTTMike - 
os3y3ris - No, I'm not issuing a challenge to anyone. I'm saying that the penalty for not paying is that they DON'T fight you, which I think is backwards.

As for Buchecha, Keenan, etc. I've got more experience than both actually. I win some and lose some and I left the IBJJF with a winning record. I don't know why you assume I can't grapple. I've been doing this for thirteen years now. Skill and business arrangements are two different things.
How many world championships or other prestigious titles do you have? Cause im pretty sure they have a shit load more experience fighting fellow world class grapplers than you. Phone Post 3.0

My last match was against Eduardo Nascimento. Lost on points. Does it matter where I fought him? I fight the best guys I can find. I win some and lose some. I'm simply more experienced in terms of years trained. That's just a fact.

Who's Eduardo Nascimento?

If you said Alan instead of Eduardo, we would be more impressed...

os3y3ris - Right, its a Checkmat requirement. I stated that associations OR the Federation could make their own rules and that this one came from the Checkmat association. Am I unclear?

So what's the point in bringing that up? I thought this was an anti-IBJJF thread

mjm345 - Maybe they mean they have to pay an association fee to someone with a second degree in order to get a signature on their app? If so that's not really an ibjjf issue. Phone Post 3.0

Who's Eduardo Nascimento? According to his bio: 4x Sao Paulo Champion, 2x Brazilian National Champion, 2x World Champion, 2x Sul American Open Class Champion, 3x International Open Itororó Champion, NAGA Europe Open Champion Gi & No Gi, Copa Posnania Champion Poland, Open Krakon Champion Poland, 2x Amsterdam Open Champion in Category & Open Class, 2x Belgian Open Champion in Category and Open Class.

MMAHistoryProject - 
sannyasin - 
MMAHistoryProject - 
BTTMike - 
sannyasin -

(2) Are you aware that when people say "Strawman" they're not referencing the Wizard of Oz?

Who are your multiple people? Blanked out names from facebook screenshots, Oli Gueddes thinks Checkmat doesn't promote anyone with less than 3 stripes (not even relevant to this topic) and some bjj guy from California no one has ever heard of hardly constitute a "pattern" or proof. Just because you say it's true, doesn't mean it is.

Show us hard, concrete evidence that there is widespread pattern of maliciousness from the IBJJF and it affects a lot more than 10 members out of the current thousands. They never held a gun to my head and made me sign any documents or fork over tens of thousands of dollars in order to get anything and what they do with their own profits is their business, not mine or yours. I and others have only paid what was stated on their website. Nothing more, nothing less.

I will publicly apologize to you and Jordan and cancel my membership immediately if/when you show concrete evidence of this vast conspiracy.

Patiently waiting, but not holding my breath

MMAHistoryProject - 

Who's Eduardo Nascimento? According to his bio: 4x Sao Paulo Champion, 2x Brazilian National Champion, 2x World Champion, 2x Sul American Open Class Champion, 3x International Open Itororó Champion, NAGA Europe Open Champion Gi & No Gi, Copa Posnania Champion Poland, Open Krakon Champion Poland, 2x Amsterdam Open Champion in Category & Open Class, 2x Belgian Open Champion in Category and Open Class.

Thats cute...rushing to defend your bff. I think he can fend for himself.

It's always hilarious to me when out of shape guys huff and puff about sports.

Put down the cheeseburger and get on a treadmill, it's a step in the right direction!

Here's a revolutionary idea:

If you don't like the IBJJF...DON'T BELONG TO THE IBJJF

smh

I don't have any experience with that specific issue because I didn't leave my promoting professor. When he left Barra he was already 2nd degree, so I think he was able to just register on his own. As far as I know he never had a problem re-registering his school independently.

Regardless, my point was that While I have definitely heard some bs red tape issues go on with the ibjjf, I really think they are just a result of bureaucracy, not ibjjf being vengeful. Phone Post 3.0

"If you don't see a problem with that, cool. Its not my money. But I wouldn't put a dime into that scheme."

Awesome. Then why do you give a fuck?

sannyasin - 
MMAHistoryProject - 
sannyasin - 
MMAHistoryProject - 
BTTMike - 
sannyasin -

Who are your multiple people? Blanked out names from facebook screenshots, Oli Gueddes thinks Checkmat doesn't promote anyone with less than 3 stripes (not even relevant to this topic) and some bjj guy from California no one has ever heard of hardly constitute a "pattern" or proof. Just because you say it's true, doesn't mean it is.

Show us hard, concrete evidence that there is widespread pattern of maliciousness from the IBJJF and it affects a lot more than 10 members out of the current thousands. They never held a gun to my head and made me sign any documents or fork over tens of thousands of dollars in order to get anything and what they do with their own profits is their business, not mine or yours. I and others have only paid what was stated on their website. Nothing more, nothing less.

I will publicly apologize to you and Jordan and cancel my membership immediately if/when you show concrete evidence of this vast conspiracy.

Patiently waiting, but not holding my breath

Let's have a look at how Strawman works:

I say "multiple people" and you pretend I said just BTTMike;

I say they are mishandling their cash (which is a crime) and you pretend I said "profits";

I say "Checkmat"and you pretend I said "IBJJF".

Now,on top of this childish crap,youare bringing in the good 'ol Genetic Fallacy (the attempt to discredit information by impuning its source):

Phil Migliarese confirms our information and you claim we should ignore him because he has only one world title;

Vinny Magalhaes confirms our information and you claim we should disregard him because he isn't in the know;

A high ranking European confirms our information anonymously and you disregard him because he hasn''t given his name (while asking that you be listened to while not giving your name);

A veteran grappling instructor confirms our information non-anonymously and you ask people to disregard because you personally don't know who he is.

Over and over and over again, you attempt to cast information as unconfirmed, when in fact it has been confirmed by multiple independent sources.  These tricks are well known to anyone who has been on the internet for more than a month.

Here are two claims I have made; if you request that I back them up with proof, then I will post the proof here.  Be careful though because the people you admire may regret you asking for it to be displayed publically.

(1) Gracie Barra's Andre Fernandes has never lived with the American woman he married to get his visa, and gave a false address to the US government on his visa application.

(2) The IBJJF and USBJJF are under investigation for hiding revenue by the California Franchise Tax Board.

Would you like me to "show concrete evidence" of these claims in public, on the internet?  Just say the word.

Are you saying we're not adults and can't make our own decisions?

We don't need you and Matt Philips to babysit us.

It was probably better when you were affiliated with a rapist, huh? That's definitely better than being affiliated with an organization that charges money for black belt diplomas and memberships.

HOLY SHIT STOP THE MOTHER FUCKING PRESSES!!!!

A foreigner married an American in order to get a visa?????

UNHEARD OF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really cracked the fucking code on this one, Pal!!!!!!!