Questions about Brazil

Little C,

I lived really close to Saulo's academy in Brazil, but I never trained there.

I knew a guy who did. He would train in the morning, privates in the afternoon, and train again at night. The guy became really good really fast.

saulo who? ribeiro?

I wonder how much it would cost to train morning, day privates, and then at night in brazil?? of course it depends on the acad's prices, but does anyody have a rough estimate?

andre, just curious- when you say really good really fast, what level was the guy at when he arrived in brazl, and what level was he at when he left, and how much time did he stay in brazil?? just curious.

his name was andreh andersen.

Andre, whats up?

Do you have that guys email so I could reach him? Do you have any plans on going back to Rio anytime soon? Oh yeah, you never sent me those picks of Carlsons Academy in Brazil ;)

brazilianjjfighter@yahoo.com ;)

usurper, how did youknow him? do you train in saulos acad?

ttt

qazzaq,

I believe he was a white belt when he got to Rio, and about 6 months later he was a high level blue (according to a friend). I never had the chance to train with him, and I have unfortunately lost contact with him since leaving Rio.

Little C,

The pics are in the new issue of FightSport!

If all goes well and I can pay off one of my debts (a big one), I should be there in July. When are you going?

wow. what the heck was a white belt doing training in rio with a top bjj team?? gotta respect that.. thanks for the response.

im just curious here- can anybody guess at what that would cost- training morning and night with privates in the day, at a place like saulos, or any of those places? of course prices vary, but im just wondering how much that would cost?

Andre, I'm going there during the Mundial NEXT year. This year my parents wont let me go, plus I dont think I'm ready to compete at the mundials quite yet. Next year I'm going for sure though.

Little C, Cool, man...Hope to see you there!

qazzaq,

If you go there without knowing anyone you will pay the gringo price which is about US $100 per month for unlimited training, and privates will run about US$30 per hour.

If someone hooks you up, the training will be about US$35 for the unlimited classes and about US$20 for the privates.

andre, thanks for the info.

Just from my own personal experience, I would reccommend going to a smaller school, especially if you are not going to be taking a lot of privates. Andre is right on the money as for costs. I payed about $25 for my privates which never ran under 90 minutes. I usually had to tell my instructor I was done (you can handle only so much info. at once).

Any way you look at it, it is one hell of a bargain. Try to find an instructor over here charging less than $50 an hour. Not that they shouldn't be charging more, as the cost of living, running the school, etc. are a lot higher over here. But it is still awesome to be able to go over there, take a couple of privates a week, with unlimited training all for a couple hundred bucks per month.

And, apart from maybe a few instructors/fighters, these guys live pretty simply. So what better way to give back to those who have put so much into the sport, than to sign on.

So, ttt for training in Brazil.

tttt, why a smaller school over a bigger school, like say humaita??

qazzaq,

They are all great to train at, but I would agree that a smaller school might be better...at least for your first trip.

The smaller schools dont get as many foreign visitors, so they tend to provide more attention to their guests than the larger schools. Prices should be lower as well.

Try several out and stay at the one you like the most.

just dont tell them you are trying several out.

interesting- thanks for the advice.

didnt mean to take over your thread greg- haha.

Again, Andre is right on the money. When I went to Brazil I mainly trained at three different places. One was Top Team and the other two were much smaller schools. At Top Team, there were foreigners coming in on a daily basis (other Americans, Canadiens, Israelis, Swiss, you name it). I didn't really get any personal attention. Don't get me wrong, it was great to watch guys like Sperry and Bustamante, etc. But they are really busy with their pro fighters and regular students.

But at the smaller schools it was totally different. It was almost as if they dropped everything to work with me. Literally. For like the first week, all they would do is lead the class, based on things designed to help me. It was awesome. And even the other students were constantly helping me, giving me pointers. You just won't get that kind of attention when you are just one in the crowd.

And finally, and this may be irrelevant to you, but the smaller schools need the money more than the big teams like Barra and Top Team. Just one more reason in my book to train with them. It's really a win/win situation.

ttt for anyone with Saulo info...

thanks tttt. are there smaller schools all over the place?? and do smaller schools offer as many classes as larger ones?? for instance, if I was to train in brazil, which wouldnt be a long while, but when I do- id want to train like the guy andre described, training unlimited in the morning and night with privates in the day, would small schools offer that? thanks for the info