R.I. P. 10 Minute ROUNDS...

"^ Pot meet kettle."

My "member from" would be much older if one of Kirik's mods hadn't banned me for calling him a fag for moving my thread.

Heheh, banned for calling kirik a fag, actually that's funny, respec'!

Also, dahosse: I have to disagree with you completely. The idea that "sure hey let them chip away at a good thing" isn't how I enjoy my entertainment.

Pride developed the PERFECT round system. it allows for grappling to get going and it forced an out of shape fighter to lose and not be able to just hang on during the last two minutes of a round for his break.

ALSO....I firmly believe that it enhanced the cardio of it's participants KNOWING they would have to last. With five minute rounds guys come in dump their load immediately, work for the end of the round and then drag their asses for the next two rounds.

QUESTION: How many Pride fights ended after the first five minutes but before the end of the first round?

You will be SHOCKED should you go and start counting them up!

"I swear, every two days you all get together to cry and remember DSE Pride and have these crybaby support group threads. Enough is enough already."

ANOTHER Member from 2007........

The UFC must have a PHENOMENAL pay-per-post rate....

The 10 minute first round is a great thing.

It will be sorely missed, and I agree, it brought fighters to a new level of cardio.

Ya know what, if they can get knees to the head passed in the USA I'll be all for a unified rule set.

"Also, dahosse: I have to disagree with you completely. The idea that "sure hey let them chip away at a good thing" isn't how I enjoy my entertainment.
Pride developed the PERFECT round system. it allows for grappling to get going and it forced an out of shape fighter to lose and not be able to just hang on during the last two minutes of a round for his break.

ALSO....I firmly believe that it enhanced the cardio of it's participants KNOWING they would have to last. With five minute rounds guys come in dump their load immediately, work for the end of the round and then drag their asses for the next two rounds.

QUESTION: How many Pride fights ended after the first five minutes but before the end of the first round?

You will be SHOCKED should you go and start counting them up!"

Very fucking well said.

for all you who forget...

UFC rounds used to be longer than 5 min., then because of "stalling" on the ground, they introduced the standup, but it was abused and appeared biased...so they introduced shorter rounds instead. You could only stall for 5 min. max (really, much shorter), and the striker got a guaranteed standing exchange at the start of each round. Took away the arbitrary nature of the standup (ala Bas vs. TK).

Later on the UFC had a very boring event that went overtime, and the UFC (it was UFC 33 I believe with Tito/Vlady and Pulver/Hallman) introduced BOTH standups AND 5 min. rounds.

Does having 5 min. rounds AND standups seem like a reasonable balance between the striker and the grappler?

ps. knees on the ground was approved by New Jersey (who's rules Nevada adopted). But after McGee kneed the hell out of someone (in an IFC), they got rid of it...so, really, if proper match making is used, perhaps an argument can be made to the State commissions to get them back, but didn't Zuffa lobby Cali not to have them?

pps. what kind of unified respectable sport has its #1 contendors only fight for 15 min., but it's champs fight for 25 min.? Do you think #1 contendor matches in boxing are only 8 rounds instead of 12?

10 minute rounds were great,plenty of time to execute a game plan, time for the grapplers to set up submissions,time to wear down an opponent with strikes.

Unified rules would be great if the UFC changed their rules to Pride FC rules rahter than the other way around.

I like the ten minute round better

but what canya do

"but what canya do"

scream and yell at the top of your luyngs and maybe SOMEONE will hear........... T. Jay? Anyone?

"Very fucking well said."

Thank you Floppy...

"one door closes, another opens"

Oh, so poetic, Kirik!

Thats basicallly it. We're losing some shit but gaining some shit on the flipside.

"Yes, it is. Unless you want to get rid of time limits, which is impossible at this point.

Definitely better than the "Let's just hand the decision to whoever the fuck we want" system."

The 10 point system totally sucks for MMA. You should always judge the fight as a whole...

4 rounds of layn pray where nothing happens followed by a final round where the layn prayer gets beaten to a pulp still gives the victory to the layn prayer if you use the 10 points system. Thats not good for the sport...

"what kind of unified respectable sport has its #1 contenders only fight for 15 min., but it's champs fight for 25 min.? Do you think #1 contender matches in boxing are only 8 rounds instead of 12?"

That is a great point. Perhaps now that the 10 minute round is on life support, all fights should go up to five rounds?

I agree with you Floppy 100%, why the need for such a carbon copy. Kind if melts away the whole UFC v Pride marketing that would have made a ton of pesos. I know I would have been spending money left and right.

If rules are going to be uniform, isn't NOW is the time for Zuffa to lobby the hell out of the Nevada Commish to ease up on some things. Fine, we will give up the 10 minute rounds, but give us some stomps on the ground, give us back the downward elbows.

Why is the Commission such an overpowering body that can't be budged. When I see them on TUF, they don't look half as lethal as some of the liberal Senators/AssemblyMembers I deal with from the Bay Area. Those ladies with eat you alive right there in the committee room.

Icon is the only last event which gives that pride nostalgic feeling. I really get the feeling that the Japanese fans will turn on Pride...

UFC will buy up all the smaller organizations just like the WWE. I am not bashing Dana or the UFC, they have taken MMA from backwater arenas to the lights and dazzle of Las Vegas. All I am saying is, man am I going to miss the 10 rounds and the diversity of MMA shows.

Does this also mean that Pride will loose the ring as well?

RIP MMA diversity...

Too bad, I would have atleast liked to see it as meeting halfway between pride and ufc rules,