Ranking the best two division champions

#8 Henry Cejudo.

Last on this list as there was no Mighty Mouse trilogy to truly separate himself as champion, and when he beat TJ, it was against a guy who literally was injured and would retire after the fight. Cejudo did not fight in the division before getting a title shot. Cejudo also never defended his BW title either.

#7 Jon Jones

Cyril Gane was not proven, hw division was incredibly thin at the time. Jon Jones was able to skip the line based on his popularity, as he was not active in hw, or active in any division for that matter. Jones has his eyes on old man Stipe instead of Pavlovich, who everyone knows is and has been the toughest fight in that division. Years of steroid use and steroid bans during his LHW title reign also gray his legacy.

#6 Georges St Pierre

Had his entire career overlap arguably the greatest MW of all time in Anderson Silva. GSP waited for 3 champions to take over the mw division before he would finally dip his toes in that division. Granted Bisping was on his last leg, had one eye, I consider a 1 eye, one foot out the door to retirement Bisping, a more dangerous threat than Cyril Gane or TJ Dillashaw. GSP did not fight in this division before getting a title shot as he used his name recognition to jump the line. This was the one and only time GSP fought above his weight class.

#5 Conor McGregor

Never had to fight in Lw division to earn the title. Used his one mega fight with Aldo in a stacked division to convince UFC and fans he did not need to defend in that stacked division, or rematch Jose, instead he could skip the line to face Eddie Alvarez. Stylistically this was a bad match up for Eddie, however Eddie was closer to his prime and a more dangerous threat in his division than the 3 above two division champions’ opponents.

#4 Dan Henderson

One of the few two division champions who actually fought more than once in each division. He gets credit for becoming champion in two stacked divisions. Why he isn’t ranked higher is because he had lost the mw championship when he fought Wanderlei for the LHW Pride belt(MW). While Hendo was the first and only non HW to ko The Axe Murderer, Wanderlei’s invincibility at that point was not viewed as high because Wanderlei was coming off a head kick ko from Mirko. Even still, Pride Wanderlei was a monster and to ko him in the fashion Hendo did, truly epic. Hendo would go on to fight in multiple weight classes against the very best, such as Anderson at MW for the belt, Rampage at LHW for the belt, and even fought prime Daniel Cormier as at lhw as well. No skipping the line, all title shots=EARNED

#3 Randy Couture

Won the Lhw belt by earning it via fighting and winning. Won the HW belt by earning it via fighting and winning. Retired for one year after fighting 4 years in the LHW division, came back to fight dangerous Tim Sylvia at hw where Couture had an age disadvantage, size disadvantage, and weight disadvantage. Tim Sylvia was a much greater threat than other champions who would eventually lose to a 2 weight class champion, styles make fights and this fight was tailor made for Randy. Even still, he had to get it done against a mammoth of a man and did so in dominating fashion. The roof came off that night. Not bad for an old man.

#2 Daniel Cormier

Had prior experience in the HW division and was actually undefeated in that division before going down to capture the lhw title in which he earned the lhw title shot. Stipe is one of UFC’s most proven HW Champions and was the favorite to win going into that fight. Much tougher test than the previous two time champions. He would successfully defend the HW belt 1 time before losing it again to Stipe in the rematch and trilogy fight. Why I slightly put DC ahead of Couture, is b/c DC proved he can beat heavyweights as he had more fights at hw than lhw when he became lhw champion. His competence at HW was already proven.

#1 BJ Penn
In 2004 BJ Penn was considered the #1 lw in the world. Due to contract issues with UFC, he was not considered the “UFC LW Champion”, however universally he was for sure the best LW fighter in the world. At that time, Matt Hughes, was not just the UFC Welterweight Champion, but was the most proven Champion in mma not named Fedor. Hughes was demolishing the best at 170. BJ Penn came in with pounds to spare. While technically BJ Penn did not hold two belts at the same time, his challenges were the toughest. BJ did not start fighting above his weight class until that first Hughes fight.

Some may disagree with my rankings, but I was a fan of the sport for all of these two division champions and based on how the sport was at the time, these are my rankings of two division champions and I’m sticking to it…for now :slight_smile:

JBJ
Daniel Cormier
GSP
BJ Penn
Hendo
Henry Cejudo
Randy
Amanda
Conman McTapper

1 Like

McTapper has zero title defenses so he’s pretty worthless if we’re being honest here

Idc how big his name is or how much money he’s worth. None of that matters in the fight game. Those are fighters are all better than him

1 Like

I will answer again. Jon Jones=inactive. Gane wasn’t even the UFC Champion. UFC let their HW Champion go, so you can pretend Gane was the champion going in, but you would not be fair to context.

Plus Jones is arguably the most proven steroid champion in terms of failed drug test/suspensions.

Do you think DC being undefeated at heavyweight is not as good as Jon Jones sitting out for 3 years and then bulking up to fight one guy at hw?

Not true at all. They offered francis the biggest contract in UFC HW history. And he ran away. He knew he could not beat JBJ and losing to him would ruin his value

JBJ not only chased him out of the promotion but also the sport

2 Likes

Yes answer me, do you consider Cyril Gane, the guy who the current UFC HW Champion Ngannou beat, to be a more proven fighter, than Ngannou?

If not, please, and I mean this with all respect to YOU, stfu :slight_smile:

Acting like Jones beating Gane meant more than if Jones beat Ngannou. GTFO

It took jones 2 minutes and a few seconds to beat a guy Francis struggled with for 25 minutes

1 Like

So it is your opinion that beating Cyril Gane is bigger than beating Francis Ngannou?

I don’t think very highly of the LHW or HW divisions as wholes

Jones is still GOAT’d though

I am ranking a great accomplishment(two division championships) based on what made these accomplishments great at the time.

Factoring losing in this regard, seems like it’d be more appropriate for a different type of discussion. It’s as if you are using the 8 two division champions and comparing them to each other in terms of whose overall mma career legacy was better.

This thread is about two division championships, and why some are important and others are not as important.

For example while I have BJ Penn as the #1 Two Division Champion, I put Dan Henderson higher on my list in terms of “overall career legacys”. But Dan’s two belts versus BJ’s and the context, I have to give an edge to BJ in this particular regard.

Conor should be last.

2 Likes

I’m interested in hearing your case.

I’m not a Conor fan. But Conor did earn his title shot against Aldo. While I do not think he earned a shot against Eddie, Eddie was at the top of his game, far more than Dillashaw was when Cejudo face Dillashaw, disagree?

Sitting out, not having to grind, body is healthy and recovering, not having to stay in the rankings, waiting for the easier win in the weight class above versus training hardcore, actually facing top ranked contenders and beating them, one of these I put more emphasis.

1 Like

1-3 at LW. Zero title defenses in both divisions. He literally sucks

Bad list

1 Like

I made a list. Created discussion.

I also provided context.

Bad reply=nothing constructive, only negative

Good reply=something with substance, specifics of not only what you disagree with, but why, and better yet, with an example.

1 Like

GSP & Jones have the weakest wins Jones might have the weakest one though because he beat Gane who wasnt even number champion

You made such a great thread the other day but wtf man BJ Penn should be at no.8

There is going to obviously be differences of opinion because opinions are never the same, but it is very much an apples to oranges comparison.

Seems to me like what some of the Conor discrepancies are, is you guys are putting more emphasis on how proven he was(or wasn’t) as a champion(of lw), where as I seemed to be putting more emphasis on how proven the champions beaten were at the time.
Which is wrong? Neither.

But, this is why I create discussions, not just to influence, but am open to being influenced.

Stating Conor was not as proven of a champion before and/or after becoming champion, is a solid argument.

Was Conor more proven than Cejudo at the time? I’d say an argument is definitely there. However, was Conor more proven than Jones or GSP at the time? I would say no. However, two time champion to me means more if you are a two time champion of two divisions near the same time frame.

For that reason, Jones and GSP slip. Randy Couture was already a two division champion prior to beating Tim Sylvia. Randy won fights, and titles at LHW and HW within 15 months.

Conor McGregor went in to 2016 with one belt, and by the end of 2016 had two.

Only Daniel Cormier, and BJ Penn were considered the #1 of two different weight classes at the same time.

Conor is 3rd, yet I put Conor fifth on my list. After review, I think my list is even more accurate.

How long would it take Jon Jones to move up a weight class and become champion? We have an answer to that. Much longer than the other guys on the list. Same goes for Georges St Pierre.

BJ Penn kicking ass in a deep LW division, and then going up to challenge the most proven UFC Champion in Matt Hughes, and finishing him in the first round, and doing so at 166lbs, speaks volumes to how good he was for a time period.

Are you suggesting Jones is the only one on that list that used roids?
Lol come on.

1 Like

There is no doubt, that at one point in time, BJ Penn was the best fighter at 155 and 170lbs.

What other two division champion can make that claim? Based on actual accomplishments, he was already proven at 155lbs, and when he became champion at 170, it was against not only the most proven 170lb champion, but the most proven UFC Champion had in it’s history at the time.

You can say you disagree, but what is your ranking, what are you putting more emphasis than I am, what are you putting less emphasis than I am?