Re-watched Lauzon vs. Varner

and I love me some Joe Rogan, don't get me wrong. However, his constant commentanting on how Varner was gassing was waaaaaay off the mark.

In the first round he kept saying "Varners mouth is open." If you watch the fight, his mouth, AND Joe's mouth are pretty much open from the get go. Some guys just don't close thier mouths fully with a mouthgaurd in.

And then Rogan was still dogging him in the 3rd when Varner was still throwin hard fast punches and he shot some full speed double legs that were money. No one who is tired shoots doubles like that in the 3rd round.

IMO Varner did not "gas" in that fight whatsoever at any point.

Also, I know that calling fights isn't easy and you are literally just shooting from the hip the whole time. Still love you Rogan, I just think it takes a little away from Varner's great effort listening to the commentating about his cardio, when his cardio was fine.

I'll keep that in mind when I watch it again. I had money on Varner and Joe was stressing me out, but I saw the mouth open as well and was thinking the same thing at the time.

I did notice on the first watch that Joe's mouth was also open so he would be running out of gas using the same criteria. Phone Post

You didn't think Varner was gassed at all? What the heck? I couldn't hear Rogan commenting but Varner looked like he was gassing in the second and definitely by the third. He was picking his spots on when to go for it but in general he was pretty gassed. Now whether that was due to a short camp or Joe punching him that is disputable, but to say he wasn't looking very fatigued seems insane. Didn't Varner even "lose" his mouthpiece?

I noticed. Phone Post

superCalo - Perhaps a coincidence but about 3 seconds after every time rogans said varner was gassing he would move in, throw a huge energy sapping combo then quickly move out of range again, how was this possible him being so gassed and all ? To say it made me a bit suspicious is perhaps slight understatement especially considering he was able to this time and time again. How ? Phone Post

how many lbs of lettuce did u need to harvest to afford a droid phone Calo?

back on topic. I agree, i dont think Varner was gassed that much, but i can see how Joe may have not noticed the mouth breathing until later and initially think he's gassing out.

That's why i like joe, he catches things like that and points them out, even if it may not be the case sometimes. Phone Post

It's either "Fighter A is gassed", or "Boy those kicks are pretty".

When will people realize that getting punched in the head and body while grappling will make anyone tired? I didnt think Jamie looked any more gassed than Jlo, but once Rogan gets stuck on something there's no return.

Jlo is no where near the striker Varner is but he was tagging Varner all fight long. Jlo's boxing has came a long way. Good for him.

I thought Varner looked tired too but then would always come back with more. Just a crazy paced fight Phone Post

UGCTT_the people's cecil -
superCalo - Perhaps a coincidence but about 3 seconds after every time rogans said varner was gassing he would move in, throw a huge energy sapping combo then quickly move out of range again, how was this possible him being so gassed and all ? To say it made me a bit suspicious is perhaps slight understatement especially considering he was able to this time and time again. How ? Phone Post

how many lbs of lettuce did u need to harvest to afford a droid phone Calo?

back on topic. I agree, i dont think Varner was gassed that much, but i can see how Joe may have not noticed the mouth breathing until later and initially think he's gassing out.

That's why i like joe, he catches things like that and points them out, even if it may not be the case sometimes. Phone Post

I also agree and I can actually remember a specific time when Rogan said Varner was gassing then maybe 3 seconds later Varner stuffed a takedown, threw a nice combo then shot a double leg and nailed it.

He met a damn game opponent in Joe, he broke his hand which I'm sure saps a little of the life from you but gassed for as much time as Rogan was saying he was? Nope Phone Post

LEKS - You people complain about everything Phone Post

Actually its called adult conversation.

How many worthwhile posts have you contributed?

Yeah ..... I'll wait. Phone Post

daba - You didn't think Varner was gassed at all? What the heck? I couldn't hear Rogan commenting but Varner looked like he was gassing in the second and definitely by the third. He was picking his spots on when to go for it but in general he was pretty gassed. Now whether that was due to a short camp or Joe punching him that is disputable, but to say he wasn't looking very fatigued seems insane. Didn't Varner even "lose" his mouthpiece?

This. Varner came out strong in the first and was a bit tired after the first. I wouldnt say that he was totally gassed cause he wasnt but he was clearly slower and picking his shots more.

I thought varner was tiring.

Not to the extent joe was saying though.

That was a fast paced fight

Varners punched still had some pop but they started off very fast powerful.

A fully conditioned varner i think would if carried his power later

Tired but nit gassed out imo Phone Post

dude watch the nam phan fight again, joe rogan was fucking so biased its not even funny, all he talks about is cole miller when nam was landing combo's that were beautiful.

first time ive ever been pissed off about his biased commentating.

The only way to see what Rogan was seeing is to watch it with the sound muted.

I keep hearing so much about this fight, how come there's no gifs? Hook a man up who had to miss the event due to his wife deciding to be a giant cunt yesterday. Have pity and gif me!

Agree with OP completely. It's exactly why I pushed mute for round 3. Phone Post

Rogan clarified what he meant during the fight iirc. He just said that Varner was in good shape cardio wise, as a fighter of his caliber tends to be, but that only having two weeks notice meant he wasn't in ace condition, which is what he needed to be in to win the fight.

Cardio was a factor, no doubt, even if Varner wasn't collapsing or struggling to hold himself up.

Didnt hear Rogans commentary since I was there live but it seemed that Varner was laboring much more than Lauzon even at the points where he was scoring better. I kept telling my friend that Varner wasn't looking good and that Joe would take over in the 3rd and that's what happened.

I thought the same thing. I mentioned it in the event sticky thread as it was happening. Joe was definitely seeing something different than I was. Varner never looked even close to as exhausted as he was describing imo.

that said, Hogan is the goat.

I know these pop up all the time but this is the first time Ive disagreed with what Joe was saying.