Refresh my memory(Brian Johnston)

I've been watching some old UFC's lately, and I recall that back in the day I used to get excited about Brian Johnston. He had an "aura" about him.

Well, re-watching some of his fights like him vs Bobish, I'm thinking to myself-what the hell? Why did I and many others back then think high of him?

Also, his 2nd to last fight was in 97 in an event called Strikeforce-Strikeforce where apparently he and his opponent are the only ones on the card. Is this the same SF?

I recall that he had some sort of accident and/or neck injury, but what did he do back in the day that got him hype?

Back in 97 Im pretty sure that Strikeforce was a kickboxing event.&nbsp;<br />
<br />
It
s possible that you liked his American Flag shorts.

For the time he was well rounded and had a semi-competitive fight with Don Frye. I think people thought he would be able to get much better after his fight w Frye but he never really go the chance....

Stroke

crowbar -  Back in 97 Im pretty sure that Strikeforce was a kickboxing event.&nbsp;<br />
<br />
It
s possible that you liked his American Flag shorts.

That shit is funny as fuck!  Whether or not you're trying to make fun of me, back in the day, things like that may very well have got me to favor a fighter LOL!!!

He was a big guy who threw with bad intentions maybe thats why.

My first memory is when he beat the shit out of that goofy looking kickboxer. I liked him but as I recall he was a bit inconsistent

He was a very talented guy with a lot of potential. And his tko or KO of that wrestler was classic. Phone Post

I will always remember Big John breaking his nose. The man looked pretty pissed off after that one.

I remember a fight where he was raining down these nasty ass headbutts, full caveman styles. Brutal they were Phone Post

He also fought and lost to Ken Shamrock iirc.

Ken was doing true ground and pound on Brian before coleman or Kerr.

Big John vs Brian Johnston, make it happen.

I think some of the the AKA guys, like Swick and Buentello were raving about his stand-up skills...

Max

He owned PAIN INC.  Good dude.

He was huge and very impressive looking.

He also had rudimentary judo combined with kickboxing.

I believe his stroke had something to do with a freak neck injury when training.

His wife eventually left him because of the frustration of him having to learn to do everything again - walk, talk, etc

Last I heard he was doing pretty good -

Brian also dabbed into pro wrestling in Japan along side of Don Frye for a short period of time.

Mix6APlix - He had a stroke? Damn, never knew. Hope he recovered.

Not really, has never fully come back.

I remember him landing a great hip throw in one of his fights.

"Well, re-watching some of his fights like him vs Bobish, I'm thinking to myself-what the hell? Why did I and many others back then think high of him?"

You'll probably be saying this about other fighters I can think of in the not-too-distant future.