Rehydrating without the banned IV fluids

Politically Incorrect - 
spmaskell - Rhonda Rousey doesn't do IV bags so think again that in order to compete you have to cut 20lbs+ of water weight.

Nobody cares.

I'm sure Myle's doctor wasn't writing on the subject of how to be more like Rousey you asshat.

FYI she cuts a lot of weight for a woman she has just been doing it her whole life and likes oral.

I also enjoy oral

just rehydrate orally

Myles,

Thanks for coming on here and dropping 1st hand knowledge.

Hey Beer Man - Myles,

Thanks for coming on here and dropping 1st hand knowledge.

Thank you! I enjoy helping others as best as I can, especially the UG. The UG has been one of my main sources to get indepth information within MMA (well, used to be and I'd love to help get it back to that). If there's ever anythign else I could help with on here, just LMK. 

I've read the only reason IV use is detectable is the tiny bits of plastic from the bag that are in the fluid that goes into the body of the fighter. I'm not an expert, but I'm surprised no one can come up with an alternative bag, like one of rubber or something.

JuryJiuJitsu - 
RiddumRed - Jury are you still dropping to 145? I always thought u were a good sized LW. Thats gotta be a tough cut.

Yes sir, 145 it is. I've been begging for a fight and it's been difficult to get one, so hopefully I have somehing lined up soon.

Fortunately, the water / IV side of this isn't a big deal for me, more of a process of evolving and learning. I was actually not heavy at 155 and somehow had a body fat of 16-17% (yeah, I'm still surprised by that, but it's true). So once I got with George Lockhart at FitnessVT.com and taking my nutrition to the highest level as I should have long ago, I kept my muscle/size and cut off the body fat. That's how 145 came into play.

Awesome I cant wait to see you there. You should have a massive size and reach advantage on Aldo or McGregor. That would give them fits with your skills.

Size - I've read the only reason IV use is detectable is the tiny bits of plastic from the bag that are in the fluid that goes into the body of the fighter. I'm not an expert, but I'm surprised no one can come up with an alternative bag, like one of rubber or something.

Glass bottles. Old school.

A friend in college was an emt and would regularly hook himself and at times others to an IV when crashing after partying. It works. Better than drinking imo. And I could see being super valuable after a weigh in.

NBKfanforlife -
JuryJiuJitsu -
YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD - What about fighting closer to your natural weight?

Yeah, there's some positves taking this route, not having to cut being the biggest one.  But it's hard to ignore the facts of the disadvantages you face due to the guys that cut down. 

Honestly, when I'm cutting weight, that is when I have the absolute best intake and feel my best, which comes from being 100% disciplined in camp. So it's just part of the process that keeps me focused and working hard at all times. Everyone is different though.

I don't know. I think that weight isn't the advantage that some people think it is. Height , yes. But not so much weight. I'd take a tough natural fighter who fights close to his weight over a guy who tries to cut and rehydrate massive amounts.
I think that because everyone cuts so much weight, we haven't seen the benefits of staying close to fight weight yet. Phone Post 3.0
AJ is a pretty good example of someone fighting closer to natural weight.

I really think weight cutting should be scrapped, weigh in then fight, long term effects can't be good. Phone Post 3.0

JuryJiuJitsu -
YOURDADDYDEVILANDLORD - What about fighting closer to your natural weight?

Yeah, there's some positves taking this route, not having to cut being the biggest one.  But it's hard to ignore the facts of the disadvantages you face due to the guys that cut down. 

Honestly, when I'm cutting weight, that is when I have the absolute best intake and feel my best, which comes from being 100% disciplined in camp. So it's just part of the process that keeps me focused and working hard at all times. Everyone is different though.

Thing is If you have to fight close to your weight then so is the other guy, I understand you have that cut to hone your mood etc, but take comfort in the fact that the vast majority of fighters in your division will (in one degree or another) be facing the same hurdles. Phone Post 3.0

How about not cutting so much weight? Phone Post 3.0

The cheaters will just start using non-plastic IV setups.  Custom mixes, glass bottles, rubber tubing, etc.  So if I'm a non-cheater I'm not real happy about getting in the cage with a dried up brain sack (easier to KO).

I'd look into using non-plastic IVs.  Be aware that they may test for other IV materials in the future though.

Politically Incorrect -
spmaskell - Rhonda Rousey doesn't do IV bags so think again that in order to compete you have to cut 20lbs+ of water weight.

Nobody cares.

I'm sure Myle's doctor wasn't writing on the subject of how to be more like Rousey you asshat.

FYI she cuts a lot of weight for a woman she has just been doing it her whole life and likes oral.
Lmfao Wtf? Phone Post 3.0

Just use an IV.

why aren't you addressing the anal rehydration? all jokes and insecurities of people aside, its probably one of the most effective ways to rehydrate if you can't use an IV.

thats where you absorb most of your water right, the large intestine. If you're serious about it, why wouldn't you look into it?

lol at you people dismissing it. dont ever get (really) sick and end up in hospital, they will probably fiddle with your bunghole at some point

supersonic - A friend in college was an emt and would regularly hook himself and at times others to an IV when crashing after partying. It works. Better than drinking imo. And I could see being super valuable after a weigh in.

LOL, this just reminded me..... At MGM, they now have a place called "Revive" offering IV's. I believe it's aimed at those with a hangover. They will come to your room, you can go to their office or they'll hook you on to a mobile IV.

The last time I was there, I seen a plethora of people walking around wtih an IV on a mobile stand.

TheBigRedOne -
46and2degrees - Fight at a more natural weight.

Weight cutting is a joke. Phone Post 3.0

I've been shouted down saying this for years.
I've wrestled for 11 years straight

Weight cutting is nothing more than avoiding certain weight classes and opponents, not to mention the impact it does to the health of a individual. Phone Post 3.0

Im on board with the people who are saying "dont cut so much weight".  

I get it that the fighters feel it is necessary -- that some of them are always going to cut, and if you don't you will be at a disadvantage.

I can just state from a fan's point of view:  I would prefer to see a 170lb guy fight a 170llb guy.  Not 2 guys that were able to starve and dehydrate themselves to 170lbs 24 hours before the fight, and then compete as a 178lb guy against a 193lb guy.

Morgz - 

Im on board with the people who are saying "dont cut so much weight".  

I get it that the fighters feel it is necessary -- that some of them are always going to cut, and if you don't you will be at a disadvantage.

I can just state from a fan's point of view:  I would prefer to see a 170lb guy fight a 170llb guy.  Not 2 guys that were able to starve and dehydrate themselves to 170lbs 24 hours before the fight, and then compete as a 178lb guy against a 193lb guy.

I see what you're saying, but there would need to be something in place that effects everyone. When I was heavier at 155, didn't cut, had to fight at 170 and fighting someone like Rory MacDonald or Carlos Condit..... I'd be looking at a very significant size difference lol. 

A proper cut has just as much to do with food for 3 weeks out and after weigh-in all the way to fight time.

Quality, type, and portion - If your properly hydrated when training and re-hydrate properly after the food has more to do with maintaining your strength and your energy.

I see guys drink and eat garbage after weigh-ins and the next day and wonder why they perform like garbage....

IV's are not necessary for any reason in a healthy weight cut.