Remember the good old days?

"Before any of the message boards or websites, there was the text based newsgroup... cant even remember the name but I think it was rec.martialarts  don't even remember how I used to get on there but it was not on the "web" as it is today, and there were no pictures and there was no MMA. 

The BJJ or "GJJ" guys (as they were called at the time) were frequently ridiculed by the karate guys etc. 

Back then (It was called GRACIE jiu-jitsu years before the term BRAZILIAN jiu-jitsu became common.

Right now I am back to about 1995.  I didn't even own a computer and I didn't know anyone who had internet access outside of school or work.  If they did it was like a 14.4kbs dial-up.  Didn't matter much, because there wasn't much to do on the internet back then anyway.

There.  You kids no nothing about that.   ;-)
""

I think I remember that one but I never got on it.

I was too busy playing Netrek. lol 

Are you referring to alt.ufc?

Samoa.

Remember when Wisconsin BJJ was growing strong?

the only one i was on before this was some aol newsgroup with jumpinmf

thats as far back as i can remember

samoa: it was a newsgroup but it was something to do with martial arts, not UFC.  all the martial artists on there used to dog the "GJJ" guys and the UFC it may have been alt.martialarts but I think it was rec.martialarts.  Back then, just about everyone who knew how to get on to a newsgroup was an ultranerd anyway, so it was funny that they were all talking shit about BJJ & UFC.

Red Phillips - xx< or something like that. He went by Fish, I think.

TTT for The Fish Man!

LOL i remember fish

I remember the good ol days. I was sando on the old forum LOL just like the ufc the old days were better overall IMO

I joined this site to buy the fighter's notebook. I heard about it from a major I loaned my Gene LeBell book to. (Excuse the grammar. Beer.)

Old school Mousel's alumni checking in.... xmaron back in 96-97.

I remember when it was submissionfighting.com. Those were good times...the interaction with big-name fighters was awesome. I used to pick Bas Rutten's brain for stand-up advice. I learned how to make the old "Chuck Norris" gloves (Harbingers) MMA-ready from Jeremy Horn. You could debate the finer points of judges' decisions with Pat Miletich. Sometimes I miss the sport's earlier days; you just don't get a lot of back-and-forth with the big names anymore. Then, of course, there were all the interesting "regular folks" on the board: Nick "Machine" May and his snow shovel, a fellow named Quincy who eventually became the nigh-legendary TrainJudo...I got to meet both of those fellas at my very first MMA fight (a crushing loss to Ben Rothwell, years before his run in the IFL). Speaking of competition, I used to catch wind of competitive opportunities via this board, too: I'd hear some grass-roots show was looking for fighters or grapplers, I'd contact the promoter (many of whom never did more than one or two shows), and off I'd go. This was quite the resource back in those pre-sanctioning days.

Of all the websites I visit, this is the only one at which I've been an active (if not always prolific) member for such a length of time.

Still have my Fighter's Notebook, too. :)

Shiloh - ferg!!!!!

One of my absolute favorites.  The acid washed gi top with black spandex shorts.  Flawless.

<

damn your right ya cant make that combinantion of characters any more

I found a card in my rolodex: Submissionfighting.com, with a guy named David Roy on it and I have another one with Kirik in Advertising. Funny to run across that card after so long.

Lynn from Renzos brought some cool stuff to the OG and UG.

Hitman Rob - given the growth of the sport and how much this forum has been an integral, imo, part of it, I think this place has been one of the best sites i've ever used on the internet since posting here wayy back.

I still remember coming on here when pride was on to get links to forums giving updates as this seemed to be, at least given how young MMA was in England) the online hub for MMA) I find it amazing when i reflect back on the athlestes that posted here, events both in the MMA world and this community.
random things i remember-

Baroni and ferguson talking smack here to get publicity,

highmount and his trolling + figthing jui-jitsu with a baby

machine may

the fake (or was it?) igor vovchanchin

the rickson vs threads would not stop

ken sham vs hallman

helio diaries

predator and jordan lynch is gay

Lee Murray's legend being created in July 2002.

members & fighters passing away (i think not too long after i joined Caldog (was that his handle?) passed away. remember when Rockson died and Shelbygirl.

I remmeber speaking with Lynn from Renzo's who introduced me to Renzo when I was 17 and travelled to NYC- he helped arrange the academy visit for me.

I hated being unable to attend UFC 38 in London and from mentioning it on this site to getting Ian Freeman contacting me to buy it for one of his mates. Ian was THE MAN in England for MMA at the time and just goes to show how big this (and SFUK for us Brits) place was cos without here i would never had chance to speak with him.

As much as its a piece of shit on here at times, i still post and probably will for many more years to come.

man this place is like crack to me...Ive visited here everyday for 8 years...give or take 20 to 30 days...lol...I feel bad because I still havent purchased a blue name...forgive me KIRIK...but you have the best site ever...(1 of them at least).

and I was able to give Enson Inoue some fight advice before his fight with Mino at Pride 19...lol @ me giving Enson fight advice...lol but he thanked me for it...

I still have a submissionfighting.com wrestling t shirt somewhere

here when Submissionfighting.com, Mousells and later at Inthe guard....I was Mat Warrior.

Anyone remember the other renegade board like Moussles unmoderated days???

Mike Diorio'sBJJ site was a troll haven

VIJ and THEDONBREAKYOURARM lived in a class of their own

Old school