Remember When Al Bundy Told Bas How To Punch?

I came accross this clip online of the Al Bundy guy on Covid and the Kid (who also has Covid) from ages ago.

Adn hes talking about some time he told Bas he was punching people wrong and that he should do it the way Al Bundy does

The level of arrogance you have to have to tell Bas fucking Rutten of all people how to punch when you're just some dipshit actor who likes to train is beyond me.

What a jerk off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDCrn4miXqQ&t=1s

Ed Oneill is an OG. Period.

3 Likes

![](upload://5Y06TOr4ovpK6c7SNurWcDlmQkY.gif)

6 Likes

He actually knows what he’s talking about. Very informed and knowledgeable.

6 Likes

OP, whose your black belt from?

Dont you disrespect Al Bundy like that OP you fucking piece of shite 

2 Likes
ShanTheMan -

![](upload://8HkQpfAJvXTb17Y1ZWOFlYiqGnx.gif)

Gene lebell.

Also, ed made valid points. 

watahhh -

I came accross this clip online of the Al Bundy guy on Covid and the Kid (who also has Covid) from ages ago.

Adn hes talking about some time he told Bas he was punching people wrong and that he should do it the way Al Bundy does

The level of arrogance you have to have to tell Bas fucking Rutten of all people how to punch when you're just some dipshit actor who likes to train is beyond me.

What a jerk off

Bas Rutten is an actor also.

Extremely high proportion of fixed fights. Ruben was a real MMA match but it goes down hill from there. Incredible how he has maintained his reputation vs someone like Shamrock who gets hassled about bad performances. Yes...but they were real, at least 

Choked72 -
watahhh -

What a jerk off

Extremely high proportion of fixed fights. Ruben was a real MMA match but it goes down hill from there. Incredible how he has maintained his reputation vs someone like Shamrock who gets hassled about bad performances. Yes...but they were real, at least 

Do you have any idea which fights may have been works ? 

I ve heard the rumors forever,  but would love details. Those old pancrase fights its so hard to tell.

1 Like
Choked72 - 
watahhh -

What a jerk off

Give us a laugh and share your knowledge- if such a high proportion of his 30 or so fights were fixed, go ahead and name 5- that should be easy.

(I would like to see 5 so we can laugh at how far you have to reach)

(I’m assuming you arent trolling with your post)

1 Like

Ed is a black belt under the Gracie’s, he’s got some credibility.

It's an old boxing vs. karate argument.

1 Like

I thought the funnier part was when Al Bundy asked Schaub how he throws a punch and he just stumbled over his words.

1 Like
William C - 
Choked72 - 
watahhh -

What a jerk off

Give us a laugh and share your knowledge- if such a high proportion of his 30 or so fights were fixed, go ahead and name 5- that should be easy.

I can always count on you to come to Bas’ defense, William. Have been through this before with you.

Let’s keep it simple and refer to all of his Pancrase matches. It’s well known how things worked in Japan in the 90s

Kirik - 

Break this down???

Bas should have countered by offering Ed some jiu jitsu techniques.

Siciliano di Brooklyn - 
Kirik - 

Break this down???

People in karate hit with the two knuckles closest to the thumb. They take a 2x4 or whatever, wrap the top with rope, bury the other end in the ground, and punch it hard a lot. Wolff's law, the fist gets stronger. That's how karate guys punch through lots of boards and stuff. Some of karate breaking is basically a parlor trick, some of it isn't and takes really conditioned hands.

In boxing, traditionally, a lot of trainers teach what Jack Dempsey called The Power Line, hitting with the ring finger (next to the pinky) and the two adjacent knuckles (pinky and middle).

Proponents of the karate version argue that boxers can only get away with that because they have wrap, tape, and a glove. And breaking the pinky metacarpal is so common it's called a Boxer's Fracture. Some people call breaking the ring finger a Boxer's Fracture too.

Boxers point out that throwing a hook and hitting with the two knuckles closest to the hand is super awkward. And I guess some people, like Ed O'Neill argue that you will break your wrist by hitting with the two knuckles closest to the thumb, but that's factually incorrect, obviously. My guess is the Al Bundy guy just read Dempey's book and believed it, and as there is not a lot of power striking in Rorion's jiu-jitsu, he never found out otherwise.

5 Likes
Kirik -
Siciliano di Brooklyn - 
Kirik - 

Break this down???

People in karate hit with the two knuckles closest to the thumb. They take a 2x4 or whatever, wrap the top with rope, bury the other end in the ground, and punch it hard a lot. Wolff's law, the fist gets stronger. That's how karate guys punch through lots of boards and stuff. Some of karate breaking is basically a parlor trick, some of it isn't and takes really conditioned hands.

In boxing, traditionally, a lot of trainers teach what Jack Dempsey called The Power Line, hitting with the ring finger (next to the pinky) and the two adjacent knuckles (pinky and middle).

Proponents of the karate version argue that boxers can only get away with that because they have wrap, tape, and a glove. And breaking the pinky metacarpal is so common it's called a Boxer's Fracture. Some people call breaking the ring finger a Boxer's Fracture too.

Boxers point out that throwing a hook and hitting with the two knuckles closest to the hand is super awkward. And I guess some people, like Ed O'Neill argue that you will break your wrist by hitting with the two knuckles closest to the thumb, but that's factually incorrect, obviously. My guess is the Al Bundy guy just read Dempey's book and believed it, and as there is not a lot of power striking in Rorion's jiu-jitsu, he never found out otherwise.

In Ed's defense, I'd add that when punching a heavy bag, you're far more likely to roll your wrist using the karate knuckle approach. The boxing approach allows your fist to fit almost perfectly with the bag. I don't know it for a fact, but I'd speculate that this might be part of Ed's perspective as well as I've heard him refer to "working the bag" before

Choked72 - 
watahhh -

What a jerk off

The works in Pancrase were mostly early on, and fewer than people think.

There were cases where fighters would carry a guy to make a better show, but even that evolved away.

Ironically, it was Ken Shamrock who actually put a couple guys over in Pancrase (Funaki,Suzuki)

It was the only way he could lose, lol!

All of Ken’s Pancrase wins are legit, with the exception of an exhibition with Hume.

His few losses were works.

And that stigma has followed him his entire career, causing people to doubt every one of his fights where something unusual happens.

Ken got started during that transition period in the early days of JMMA – and putting guys over was still ingrained in that culture.

So it’s kind of hard to really blame Ken there.

We didn’t have over 2 decades of sanctioned MMA to compare as some kind of standard.

Most people in the U.S. had never heard of shoot fighting, and certainly not pancrase.

They were either watching boxing, or JCVD movies, LOL!

I very much doubt that Bas had any worked fights.

He struggled against Ken based on a bad matchup.

But other than Ken, Bas has a win over every fighter he ever fought.

And (realistically) second to Ken, Bas was the most dominant Pancrase fighter of that era.

You can’t just throw the evolution of an organization out the window because it has some growing pains before “MMA” was really even a thing.

I would like to see you point out specific Bas Rutten fights you believe to be worked in some way…

5 Likes
Choked72 - 
William C - 
Choked72 - 
watahhh -

What a jerk off

I can always count on you to come to Bas’ defense, William. Have been through this before with you.

Let’s keep it simple and refer to all of his Pancrase matches. It’s well known how things worked in Japan in the 90s

That’s a cop out.