Remember When Al Bundy Told Bas How To Punch?

Kirik - 
Choked72 - 
onepunchJD -
Choked72 - 
watahhh -

I came accross this clip online of the Al Bundy guy on Covid and the Kid (who also has Covid) from ages ago.

Adn hes talking about some time he told Bas he was punching people wrong and that he should do it the way Al Bundy does

The level of arrogance you have to have to tell Bas fucking Rutten of all people how to punch when you're just some dipshit actor who likes to train is beyond me.

What a jerk off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDCrn4miXqQ&t=1s

Bas Rutten is an actor also.

Extremely high proportion of fixed fights. Ruben was a real MMA match but it goes down hill from there. Incredible how he has maintained his reputation vs someone like Shamrock who gets hassled about bad performances. Yes...but they were real, at least 

The works in Pancrase were mostly early on, and fewer than people think.

There were cases where fighters would carry a guy to make a better show, but even that evolved away.

Ironically, it was Ken Shamrock who actually put a couple guys over in Pancrase (Funaki,Suzuki)

It was the only way he could lose, lol!

All of Ken’s Pancrase wins are legit, with the exception of an exhibition with Hume.

His few losses were works.

And that stigma has followed him his entire career, causing people to doubt every one of his fights where something unusual happens.

Ken got started during that transition period in the early days of JMMA – and putting guys over was still ingrained in that culture.

So it’s kind of hard to really blame Ken there.

We didn’t have over 2 decades of sanctioned MMA to compare as some kind of standard.

Most people in the U.S. had never heard of shoot fighting, and certainly not pancrase.

They were either watching boxing, or JCVD movies, LOL!

I very much doubt that Bas had any worked fights.

He struggled against Ken based on a bad matchup.

But other than Ken, Bas has a win over every fighter he ever fought.

And (realistically) second to Ken, Bas was the most dominant Pancrase fighter of that era.

You can’t just throw the evolution of an organization out the window because it has some growing pains before “MMA” was really even a thing.

I would like to see you point out specific Bas Rutten fights you believe to be worked in some way…

OK. Here's one....for posterity's sake Vs Fuke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpI2Wg3jGuM

Watch 3:00 - 3:10. Nice escape, huh? Followed by a knee KO to the liver. Kind of like somebody wrote a story to fit Bas’ profile.

Sorry, but that is a fix.

Bas is a great fighter. And Shamrock is a great fighter but all the guys who came up in Japan have participated in many fixed fights. Good for them, I hope they made some money. But Bas has worked the PR machine far too hard such that people put him in a pantheon of legends when there are plenty of mid tier folks in the UFC over the years that were better fighters in real fights.

I don't want to bicker on the Internet, at all. But that does not look like a work. There was little understanding of a positional basis for MMA then. Guys would sort of hover sometimes looking for a limb to snag. Maybe looks with hindsight like a work, but it was the state of the game then.

I’m not seeking to bicker either and take your point but find it odd that the “hovering” to catch submissions seen in some MMA all seem to happen in Pancrase or other Japanese orgs.

Did we see it in VT from Brazil? No.

Or in the UFC from competent groundfighters, few and far between at the time? No.

Did we see it in Judo? No. Have we ever? Not that I can think of.

Did we see it in BJJ? No.

How about other forms of grappling where submission isn’t predominant? No. Not in amateur wrestling.

Have we seen it in Sambo? No.

We’ve seen more scrambling in Catch, going back a century with video footage, but being tight is fundamental there as well.

Given this, what are we left with as a theory for this style of grappling? Being loose certainly didn’t give any advantage, particularly given that open hand strikes were possible. If we look to different strong style approaches, UWF in Japan comes to mind in particular, we saw a very similar grappling approach. A few Pancrase fighters came from UWF as well. So can inexperience really explain this bizzare and inefficient approach to submission?

I say no. This approach is quite consistent with facilitating predetermined outcomes, however.

There’s an entire world operating above the fighters in the ring when we talk about Japanese MMA. Far beyond Yakuza and all the usual suspects. It goes up to Skyperfect, Fujisankei, the keiretsu who hold media interests in the country…there are massive economic drivers and stakes behind the fight game in Japan. It’s well known and it certainly goes beyond Sumo. Pancrase did not escape this phenomena.

I have spent a fair bit of time hitting the bag with bare hands, and I have always hit karate which is my background (fair bit of boxing/kboxing/MT)and found that to be the best way to keep my hand/forearm in a straight line.

I think the root of the problem is that hands were not intended to strike a hard, irregular, and moving target.  There is no way of punching that will eliminate injuries.  thats why people were gloves and wraps.

William C - 
onepunchJD - 
Choked72 - 
onepunchJD -
Choked72 - 
watahhh -

I came accross this clip online of the Al Bundy guy on Covid and the Kid (who also has Covid) from ages ago.

Adn hes talking about some time he told Bas he was punching people wrong and that he should do it the way Al Bundy does

The level of arrogance you have to have to tell Bas fucking Rutten of all people how to punch when you're just some dipshit actor who likes to train is beyond me.

What a jerk off

Extremely high proportion of fixed fights. Ruben was a real MMA match but it goes down hill from there. Incredible how he has maintained his reputation vs someone like Shamrock who gets hassled about bad performances. Yes...but they were real, at least 

There were cases where fighters would carry a guy to make a better show, but even that evolved away.

Ironically, it was Ken Shamrock who actually put a couple guys over in Pancrase (Funaki,Suzuki)

All of Ken’s Pancrase wins are legit, with the exception of an exhibition with Hume.

And that stigma has followed him his entire career, causing people to doubt every one of his fights where something unusual happens.

Ken got started during that transition period in the early days of JMMA – and putting guys over was still ingrained in that culture.

We didn’t have over 2 decades of sanctioned MMA to compare as some kind of standard.

Most people in the U.S. had never heard of shoot fighting, and certainly not pancrase.

And (realistically) second to Ken, Bas was the most dominant Pancrase fighter of that era.

You can’t just throw the evolution of an organization out the window because it has some growing pains before “MMA” was really even a thing.

I would like to see you point out specific Bas Rutten fights you believe to be worked in some way…

Watch 3:00 - 3:10. Nice escape, huh? Followed by a knee KO to the liver. Kind of like somebody wrote a story to fit Bas’ profile.

Bas is a great fighter. And Shamrock is a great fighter but all the guys who came up in Japan have participated in many fixed fights. Good for them, I hope they made some money. But Bas has worked the PR machine far too hard such that people put him in a pantheon of legends when there are plenty of mid tier folks in the UFC over the years that were better fighters in real fights.

Short answer:

They were sweaty, Fuke slipped.

And few things are more painful than a solid body shot.

Long answer:

See William C.

I could do it, but he does it better.

Hey thanks man! Love the passion and reason in your posts.

I thought I’d have a little fun today in here, but I’m done for now with the trolls. You can have the thread lol.

For those interested in solid info on works in RINGS and Pancrase- from the Holland end/POV at least- the Bas interview section I just posted like a day ago has a lot on that topic. I don’t shy away from that subject at all.

Coincidentally, that first Fuke fight comes up in that chapter (part 2), but of course not as a worked match. That was legit.

I bring up works in Pancrase again later in the Bas interview, I think in the beginning of part 4.

One of the other interviews I’ll be posting soon has some good details on a specific worked bout. Lots of good insight coming.

Right on man.

Always enjoy your interviews, and always good to see you posting.

HillboFrateTrane - 

Bas is a low-key charlatan. He was very tough for his era, but there’s a reason why he isn’t coaching. His seminars are meet and greets with techniques that have been shown a million times. You can quote him probably 50+ times commentating in pride events that arm in guillotines don’t work. That’s out of touch from a technical standpoint. He’s even involved in some pyramid scheme selling supplements with militich. Black onyx or something. 

Other than that gift dancing bear role he had in the short fat guy mma movie, he acting career didn’t go quite as planned. Who would have thought taktorov would have been the resoundingly more successful one in Hollywood? 

Being tough for your era, is all that can be expected from anyone.

1 Like
Kirik - 
Siciliano di Brooklyn - 
Kirik - 
Siciliano di Brooklyn - 
Kirik - 

It's an old boxing vs. karate argument.

Break this down???

People in karate hit with the two knuckles closest to the thumb. They take a 2x4 or whatever, wrap the top with rope, bury the other end in the ground, and punch it hard a lot. Wolff's law, the fist gets stronger. That's how karate guys punch through lots of boards and stuff. Some of karate breaking is basically a parlor trick, some of it isn't and takes really conditioned hands.

In boxing, traditionally, a lot of trainers teach what Jack Dempsey called The Power Line, hitting with the ring finger (next to the pinky) and the two adjacent knuckles (pinky and middle).

Proponents of the karate version argue that boxers can only get away with that because they have wrap, tape, and a glove. And breaking the pinky metacarpal is so common it's called a Boxer's Fracture. Some people call breaking the ring finger a Boxer's Fracture too.

Boxers point out that throwing a hook and hitting with the two knuckles closest to the hand is super awkward. And I guess some people, like Ed O'Neill argue that you will break your wrist by hitting with the two knuckles closest to the thumb, but that's factually incorrect, obviously. My guess is the Al Bundy guy just read Dempey's book and believed it, and as there is not a lot of power striking in Rorion's jiu-jitsu, he never found out otherwise.

18 years ago I was in a street fight, threw a wild hook and broke my 5th metacarpal. It didn’t really hurt but my hand blew up. Doc said it was a very common “boxer’s fracture.”

I grew up Boxing, not Karate. Don’t know if that made a difference in why I broke my hand. Like you said, since I didn’t have any wrap, tape, and glove…

I broke the same bone, through gauze, tape, and gloves. The goof who taped my hands was me :-)

Hey Kirik…

What do you think of the topic that long term “hand conditioning” that was often a part of TMAs, does more harm than good, and was ultimately bad for grip strength among other things?

I mean, he’s not wrong, and I love Bas.

i may not agree with everything thing this group has to say, but i like that we can all agree that Al Bundy is the man

sandwich samurai -

i may not agree with everything thing this group has to say, but i like that we can all agree that Al Bundy is the man

Al is great, but his actor is a delusional idiot. 

Choked72 -
Kirik - 
Choked72 - 
onepunchJD -
Choked72 - 
watahhh -

What a jerk off

I don't want to bicker on the Internet, at all. But that does not look like a work. There was little understanding of a positional basis for MMA then. Guys would sort of hover sometimes looking for a limb to snag. Maybe looks with hindsight like a work, but it was the state of the game then.

I’m not seeking to bicker either and take your point but find it odd that the “hovering” to catch submissions seen in some MMA all seem to happen in Pancrase or other Japanese orgs.

Did we see it in VT from Brazil? No.

Or in the UFC from competent groundfighters, few and far between at the time? No.

Did we see it in Judo? No. Have we ever? Not that I can think of.

Did we see it in BJJ? No.

How about other forms of grappling where submission isn’t predominant? No. Not in amateur wrestling.

Have we seen it in Sambo? No.

We’ve seen more scrambling in Catch, going back a century with video footage, but being tight is fundamental there as well.

Given this, what are we left with as a theory for this style of grappling? Being loose certainly didn’t give any advantage, particularly given that open hand strikes were possible. If we look to different strong style approaches, UWF in Japan comes to mind in particular, we saw a very similar grappling approach. A few Pancrase fighters came from UWF as well. So can inexperience really explain this bizzare and inefficient approach to submission?

I say no. This approach is quite consistent with facilitating predetermined outcomes, however.

There’s an entire world operating above the fighters in the ring when we talk about Japanese MMA. Far beyond Yakuza and all the usual suspects. It goes up to Skyperfect, Fujisankei, the keiretsu who hold media interests in the country…there are massive economic drivers and stakes behind the fight game in Japan. It’s well known and it certainly goes beyond Sumo. Pancrase did not escape this phenomena.

Good post with very solid points. 

Has anyone rolled with or seen Ed have a hard round with someone tough in the last 25 years? Not saying he’s not legit, but how much experience does he have outside of private’s with Rorian and his sons? 

HillboFrateTrane - 

Has anyone rolled with or seen Ed have a hard round with someone tough in the last 25 years? Not saying he’s not legit, but how much experience does he have outside of private’s with Rorian and his sons? 

Al Bundy is a LEGIT BJJ Black belt. ‘4 Subs in a 1 day’

Choked72 -
watahhh -

What a jerk off

you're a worthless sack of shit with the brain pan of a stage coach tilter

de braco -
Choked72 -
watahhh -

What a jerk off

It always makes me a bit sad when people lose their temper over something like this. I think it can be discussed quite rationally and I very much enjoy de braco's posts. He also knows as much as anybody how prevelant fixing of matches was and is in Japan.

William C even concedes it and is told about fixed fights in Japan by Bas himself in this series of interviews:

https://themmacommunity.com/threads/bas-rutten-interview-part-2-of-4.74812/

But Bas insists that he was above it. That he wouldnt do a fixed fight.

What else would he say? He is remunerated by his story at this stage of his career. The story of being a legit MMA legend. Admitting to fixed fights would ruin his rep and cut off many opportunities and would have in the past as well.

So it comes down to Bas' word in the face of his acknowledgement that Pancrase had many fixed fights. This is the evidence being touted by Bas' supporters: his testimony. This in the face of a financial incentive to deny fixed fights and a full disclosure that, yes, Pancrase had many fixed fights. How naive is it to think that Bas simply said "no thanks" to a system that openly and actively had prearranged matches? I believe the truth is easy to see when you understand how Japan Inc. works.

Choked72 - 
de braco -
Choked72 -
watahhh -

What a jerk off

It always makes me a bit sad when people lose their temper over something like this. I think it can be discussed quite rationally and I very much enjoy de braco's posts. He also knows as much as anybody how prevelant fixing of matches was and is in Japan.

William C even concedes it and is told about fixed fights in Japan by Bas himself in this series of interviews:

What else would he say? He is remunerated by his story at this stage of his career. The story of being a legit MMA legend. Admitting to fixed fights would ruin his rep and cut off many opportunities and would have in the past as well.

So it comes down to Bas' word in the face of his acknowledgement that Pancrase had many fixed fights. This is the evidence being touted by Bas' supporters: his testimony. This in the face of a financial incentive to deny fixed fights and a full disclosure that, yes, Pancrase had many fixed fights. How naive is it to think that Bas simply said "no thanks" to a system that openly and actively had prearranged matches? I believe the truth is easy to see when you understand how Japan Inc. works.

How many do you think were fixex?

Ballpark number…

Choked72 - 
de braco -
Choked72 -
watahhh -

What a jerk off

So you are telling us to believe you, a nobody related to Pancrase vs the former UFC Champ, legend, ex-Pancrase fighter, PRIDE announcer based purely on conjecture?

Fixes included fighters that could not compete or entertain based on their skills alone. Bas doesnt fall into that category, the vast majority of his opponents dont fall into that category. Keep reaching..

Typical fucking UG.

the_decimator -
Choked72 - 
de braco -
Choked72 -
watahhh -

What a jerk off

So you are telling us to believe you, a nobody related to Pancrase vs the former UFC Champ, legend, ex-Pancrase fighter, PRIDE announcer based purely on conjecture?

Fixes included fighters that could not compete or entertain based on their skills alone. Bas doesnt fall into that category, the vast majority of his opponents dont fall into that category. Keep reaching..

Typical fucking UG.

I am suggesting you use logic, deductive and inductive reasoning to see what the incentives were to participate in a system where standard practice is to determine outcomes. What I'm saying isnt unique at all.

And let's take things a step further. If, as Bas concedes in his interview with William C, Pancrase had fixed matches, how many times do you think management would tolerate him saying "no" to their wishes, as he claims to have done? Try that at your job and let me know how it goes. The obvious answer here is that if Bas did that, he simply wouldnt have been invited back to Japan for more matches. The Dutch were a compliant bunch (see Doleman, et. al) and I dont think deviating from the plan would have been a decision that was tolerated.

Choked72 - 
de braco -
Choked72 -
watahhh -

What a jerk off

I usually scroll past posts like yours (especially after dealing with you before), but noticed you lied about me so will respond- even though you yourself have no credibility.

“William C even concedes it and is told about fixed fights in Japan by Bas himself in this series of interviews”

Concede is defined as making a concession, or acknowledging something grudgingly.

I never conceded anything to you as you literally know nothing; therefore you could not change my mind as you can not produce any useful information. I never conceded anything about works in Pancrase as I have not changed my mind on that. I have known for many years that there were works in Pancrase. The only thing that has changed is the level of detail I have gained on that subject.

Also, I have to laugh at the fact that you give a link to my Bas interview, as if you are producing some long lost evidence that I wanted to hide or something. Maybe you should actually read- and comprehend- these?

Every interview I do I learn much more. It makes me realize how little I know in the grand scheme of things. You, on the other hand, go in the opposite direction. You know nothing- which is fine by itself- but then you create moronic stories with no facts, and act as if what you say is fact. And you are too stubborn and prideful to even be honest with yourself about it. That is where you go wrong.

Anyone who reads my posts on the topic- or my interviews- knows that I don’t shy away from some tough questions, especially when it comes to works in Pancrase, or some actual shoots in PWFG. There is no bias on my end, as I search for the truth- not to confirm something I’ve already decided as fact. If a fighter gives me information that contradicts what I previously believed, I may at that point change my mind. It has certainly happened enough times.

“It always makes me a bit sad when people lose their temper over something like this.”

What should make you sad is that you are a know it all who in reality knows nothing, yet spouts to the world your uninformed opinion as one of some kind of wisdom, lol. It should also make you sad that you lie to yourself, as that is really pathetic. It says a lot about your character, and should really be what makes you reflect.

As far as believing Bas? He’s been in the spotlight for decades, and comes across as very honest. What kind of rep does he have for lying? And ask all the people he fought how tough he was, or if he was faking it. On the other hand, you are a nobody behind a fake name on a computer, the only people that would truly believe you are people that know nothing on the subject and fall for your arrogant know it all attitude.

I think you want to feel like you know everything, yet this topic of fights in Japan is too tough for you to disseminate. You don’t know anywhere near enough about the sport. Yet, you like the sport. So what do you do? You take the easy road and just claim it’s all fake. Hey, that way you have your opinion, and it didnt take any effort lol. The problem with this is that there have been works in the UFC and in the sport of boxing. Does that mean all those fights- every single fight in UFC for example- are discounted?

I think you are trying to build a strawman by saying some people that disagree with you can’t admit there were works in Pancrase. That’s not reality, but I know you need something to grasp. The reality is you talk out of your ass.

TLDR version: choked72 is another in a long line of know nothings that spouts crap on the internet.

Choked72 -

^^^

Flawed logic.

Bas said Funaki told him he was not going to ask.

So you are making an assumption that he was asked.

There isn’t much logic behind that assumption.

I will tell you this…

Funaki formed Pancrase because he wanted to put on legit shoots.

He wanted to get away from the predetermined outcomes and guys getting out over.

Yes… there was some carryover in the transition.

And that is worthy of conversation.

But it’s no where near as significant as you seem to think.

Just because Pancrase had a small percentage of fixed fights, doesn’t mean that every fight or fighter is in question.

If that were the case, we could say the same about the UFC and Pride – both of which have had suspect fights and relatively well known works.

So really, we could be questioning all of combat sports in general.

But why stop at combat sports?

Baseball games have been fixed rexently.

Football teams recording other teams practices.

Etc.

Ultimately, what we are doing is calling human nature into question – but that’s old news.

The only way to argue works and fixed fights, IMO, is to look at each fight individually.

Throwing a blanket over an entire organization, or a fighters career – is both unfair, and illogical.

Choked72 - 
the_decimator -
Choked72 - 
de braco -
Choked72 -
watahhh -

What a jerk off

Typical fucking UG.

I am suggesting you use logic, deductive and inductive reasoning to see what the incentives were to participate in a system where standard practice is to determine outcomes. What I'm saying isnt unique at all.

And let's take things a step further. If, as Bas concedes in his interview with William C, Pancrase had fixed matches, how many times do you think management would tolerate him saying "no" to their wishes, as he claims to have done? Try that at your job and let me know how it goes. The obvious answer here is that if Bas did that, he simply wouldnt have been invited back to Japan for more matches. The Dutch were a compliant bunch (see Doleman, et. al) and I dont think deviating from the plan would have been a decision that was tolerated.

It is amazing that you read my response and comprehended almost none of it.

William C's following response is gonna read like a Master's Project Thesis then...

Sorry your argument based solely on your opinion would be better suited without the suppositions.

William C -
Choked72 - 
de braco -
Choked72 -
watahhh -

What a jerk off

I usually scroll past posts like yours (especially after dealing with you before), but noticed you lied about me so will respond- even though you yourself have no credibility.

“William C even concedes it and is told about fixed fights in Japan by Bas himself in this series of interviews”

Concede is defined as making a concession, or acknowledging something grudgingly.

I never conceded anything to you as you literally know nothing; therefore you could not change my mind as you can not produce any useful information. I never conceded anything about works in Pancrase as I have not changed my mind on that. I have known for many years that there were works in Pancrase. The only thing that has changed is the level of detail I have gained on that subject.

Also, I have to laugh at the fact that you give a link to my Bas interview, as if you are producing some long lost evidence that I wanted to hide or something. Maybe you should actually read- and comprehend- these?

Every interview I do I learn much more. It makes me realize how little I know in the grand scheme of things. You, on the other hand, go in the opposite direction. You know nothing- which is fine by itself- but then you create moronic stories with no facts, and act as if what you say is fact. And you are too stubborn and prideful to even be honest with yourself about it. That is where you go wrong.

Anyone who reads my posts on the topic- or my interviews- knows that I don’t shy away from some tough questions, especially when it comes to works in Pancrase, or some actual shoots in PWFG. There is no bias on my end, as I search for the truth- not to confirm something I’ve already decided as fact. If a fighter gives me information that contradicts what I previously believed, I may at that point change my mind. It has certainly happened enough times.

“It always makes me a bit sad when people lose their temper over something like this.”

What should make you sad is that you are a know it all who in reality knows nothing, yet spouts to the world your uninformed opinion as one of some kind of wisdom, lol. It should also make you sad that you lie to yourself, as that is really pathetic. It says a lot about your character, and should really be what makes you reflect.

As far as believing Bas? He’s been in the spotlight for decades, and comes across as very honest. What kind of rep does he have for lying? And ask all the people he fought how tough he was, or if he was faking it. On the other hand, you are a nobody behind a fake name on a computer, the only people that would truly believe you are people that know nothing on the subject and fall for your arrogant know it all attitude.

I think you want to feel like you know everything, yet this topic of fights in Japan is too tough for you to disseminate. You don’t know anywhere near enough about the sport. Yet, you like the sport. So what do you do? You take the easy road and just claim it’s all fake. Hey, that way you have your opinion, and it didnt take any effort lol. The problem with this is that there have been works in the UFC and in the sport of boxing. Does that mean all those fights- every single fight in UFC for example- are discounted?

I think you are trying to build a strawman by saying some people that disagree with you can’t admit there were works in Pancrase. That’s not reality, but I know you need something to grasp. The reality is you talk out of your ass.

TLDR version: choked72 is another in a long line of know nothings that spouts crap on the internet.

I suppose I understand why William C gets so upset; he is heavily invested in the story, has a book (or books) coming out, etc and so is partly paying his bills with the Pancrase fantasy…but please, if by publishing the Bas interview, not challenging his statement that there were fixed fights in Pancrase, and explicitly endorsing what he says isnt conceding then I dont know what is. Maybe I should say agreeing? If not, please correct the record and tell us that you think Bas was misleading you on that or flat out lying to you.

My view remains the same because the facts remain the same. Your words only add to the strength of the case. Bas was part of a system where fights were fixed. He was not a special, unique case where he wasnt expected to participate in prearranged outcomes.