Report: Starnes officially cut

UFC cuts Starnes after disgraceful performance

It was a great night for mixed martial arts on Saturday in Montreal, as an enthusiastic sellout crowd of 21,390 packed the Bell Centre to watch hometown hero Georges St. Pierre reclaim the UFC welterweight title from Matt Serra at UFC 83.

It wasn't such a good night, though, for Kalib Starnes, who spent most of the evening running from Nate Quarry in their middleweight bout. A native of Surrey, B.C., Starnes was booed heavily by the Canadian crowd that had been boisterous in its support of all the other Canadians on the card.

After losing a unanimous decision on scores of 30-26, 30-27, and an unheard-of 30-24, Starnes received even worse news: He was cut from his contract by UFC president Dana White.

"He just doesn’t belong in the UFC and after his performance the other night, he should consider a new line of work," White said Monday.

Quarry pressed the action the entire fight as Starnes simply circled and refused to engage. Late in the third round, Quarry pretended to run like he was a track star in trying to find a way to get Starnes to fight.

After the bout, members of Quarry's corner were complaining to Starnes about his lack of activity. Starnes shouted an expletive at one member of Quarry's team, called him a derogatory term for homosexuals and challenged him to a fight.

Starnes couldn't be reached for comment about his performance, but Quarry expressed disappointment with Starnes' lack of effort.

A one-time contestant on The Ultimate Fighter, Starnes was 8-2 going into the bout and had had quality victories over Chris Leben and Jason MacDonald.

"I think if you're fighting in the UFC, you've got to come to fight," Quarry told UFC.com in a post-fight interview. "I would much rather get knocked out than lose a decision running backwards. No disrespect to Kalib. I know the stress really gets to you. A lot of guys, they focus on not wanting to lose instead of wanting to win. I didn't mean to disrespect him in any way. I just got frustrated because you can't fight when somebody's moving backward that fast."

Please stop apologizing Nate. He deserves everything that was said/done.

waste of space

LOL

[quote]deepo - [quote]donttazemebro - LOL[/quote][/quote]

;)

BeeboSaabs is somewhere crying.

good

The leg kicks dulled his riddum.

One fight too late, IMO!

He can run right to Elite XC, whose angle-less circular cage fits better with his fighting style

Daht - He can run right to Elite XC, whose angle-less circular cage fits better with his fighting style

OMG LOL !!!

^ Quarry got a win bonus cause Starnes fought like that. Fans paid for a shitty waste of time. Makes sense to me.

"Its funny how Internet fans are more upset than the guy who actually fought Kalib."

The guy who fought Kalib got a nice check for showing + winning to fight a guy who ran away an entire fight.

Internet fans paid money to watch a guy run away for an entire fight. I'd much rather have seen Maia or Jason Day be put on the main card than Starnes doing the shit he did.

amen F*ck that guy

Well deserved.

"Classy, Its funny how Internet fans are more upset than the guy who actually fought Kalib. Sure it was a terrible fight but some of you guys need to get over yourselves."

Quarry did his fair share of fighter bashing. In the ring that is.

Glad he is gone

"Sure it was a terrible fight but some of you guys need to get over yourselves."

Bullshit.

Any single person on this forum would've put on a more exciting show than Starnes. A-N-Y-B-O-D-Y.

At least your random UGer would be dumb enough to stand there long enough to get knocked the fuck out. That'd be much more exciting than watching that punk ass run in circles for 15 minutes.

Good news.

"Its funny how Internet fans are more upset than the guy who actually fought Kalib."

Kalib's lack of effort cost me money, it paid Nate money. that might have something to do with it