Resting Heart Rate

. Phone Post

sly fox -
MixedMartialTart - 
LiftStrong - Mine is low 50's when I am just lifting and mid 40's when I am training hard and doing boxing and grappling.

Troll? If your hr is that low during grappling/boxing you're doing it wrong. Phone Post

I think he means in his weekly schedule... its higher during periods he just lifts rather than in periods he does combat sports as well

Ah right, yeah makes more sense. Phone Post

low 50's which is surprising because I'm about 20lbs overweight right now and outside of a 531 program haven't been doing much else for the past few months. I recently started jogging but I'm only doing 4k at a 5 min per k pace 3-4 times a week, but I doubt it's having that much of an effect yet.

So you want pics of my cock? or my Polar HR monitor? I'm confused ...

Mine was 45 or so a few weeks the company doctor who was looking over the results called me to meet me in person and make sure I wasn't about to die.

Mine never really gets higher than mid 50s even when i don't train for extended periods. For me that's not necessarily a good indicator that i'm in shape, i think i just have a naturally low RHR.

As of this morning mine was 72. I think I need to check the batteries in my monintor

Mines upper 40s and the only cardio i do is Muay Thai 2-3 hours a week Phone Post

Self-selection bias... how does it work?

Genetics is definitely a HUGE part, especially for me. I got clocked at 39 bpm on an EKG machine. My training is only ~4 days of BJJ/week and occasionally some bodyweight/kettlebell exercises. I never do any long distance running, biking, etc., and I am not a skin & bones type of guy. There's no reason I should have a resting heart rate so low besides genetics.

In my experience training A LOT of people over the past decade, I find that it has little correlation to the kind of cardiovascular shape you are in. You just get some deviation by being in better shape. It goes down, but you can't make the comparison between two people reliably, for example, one guy has a 49 RHR and the other 60 doesn't mean the guy at 60 won't trash the guy at 39.

The Gunslinger - In my experience training A LOT of people over the past decade, I find that it has little correlation to the kind of cardiovascular shape you are in. You just get some deviation by being in better shape. It goes down, but you can't make the comparison between two people reliably, for example, one guy has a 49 RHR and the other 60 doesn't mean the guy at 60 won't trash the guy at 39.

When dealing with two different people, I agree, you probably cant make an assumption on who is in better shape based by a few BPM variance. There are too many other factors.

I do believe however that if I have an athlete that has a 75BPM heart rate and we work hard on conditioning thier resting heart rate will go down. Therefore it can be used as a measure of improvement for an individual. It can also be a measure of fatigue, as when someone is in an overtrained state their resting heart rate is likely to be higher than normal.

Joel mentioned the situation when someone has a genetic low heart rate and isnt engaging in regular cardio...he stated they have a strong left ventricle which increases stroke volume but they wont have a properly developed vascular system overall to support this.

RHR is just a metric, an indicator. It is not the end all be all. As pointed out if your RHR is low, your max HR could also be lower and your vo2 max may be the exact same % as the person with a HR 10+ higher (seen it.) It is one of several metrics that should be monitored to track progress in aerobic conditioning. as Leigh mentioned, RHR, work performed at anaerobic threshold, heart rate variability are all important factors.

measure, train, measure. 

BryanH - Joel mentioned the situation when someone has a genetic low heart rate and isnt engaging in regular cardio...he stated they have a strong left ventricle which increases stroke volume but they wont have a properly developed vascular system overall to support this.

Do you have a link to this? I'd like to read more.

HULC - 
BryanH - Joel mentioned the situation when someone has a genetic low heart rate and isnt engaging in regular cardio...he stated they have a strong left ventricle which increases stroke volume but they wont have a properly developed vascular system overall to support this.

Do you have a link to this? I'd like to read more.

http://www.8weeksout.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8