Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

Oleg wasn’t supposed to be in UFC 5 either. Mezger was slotted for the main draw. He gave up his slot to Oleg because Oleg needed money for visa issues. Mezger took an alternate spot instead. Mezger and Oleg were training together.

4 Likes

Oleg, related to Oleg I remember Gokor telling me he had 2 students in the next UFC.

Oleg at this point probably better not to comment since I may not recall some of the details exactly but a one of Gokor’s/ Gene’s entourage/circle passed along some story about not being able to choke Oleg. Mentioned his pain tolerance in general as well as letting people sink in an RNC but people not able to finish it. (training stories of course)

Good for you

Not that I know of.

Haha, I second that!

sub

Countered by my sub defense

1 Like
  1. Yes, there were traditional MA people challenging the Gracies in fake, unrealistic ways to promote them selves. --People who had no intention of ever actually fighting anyone.

–AND–

1. Rorion didn’t want certain people in the early UFCs to possibly beat Royce.

–I mean, where were all the other non-Gracie family, BJJ–based fighters in the early UFCs? You think Rorion would allow Mario Sperry in there to fight against Royce? Not a chance.

If you are a BJJ “expert” you know that fighting a traditional Karate guy is probably a pretty safe bet for you. But fighting another BJJ guy with a bunch of Vale Tudo fights under his belt…? Too risky.

–And not just BJJ guys, certain Luta Livre guys or someone like Volk Han would not be allowed in the early UFCs. It was about finding tough, ONE DIMENSIONAL fighters to go against. Everything was a calculated risk to hopefully allow Royce to win. The was the goal. There were people who were too risky who may very well may have f@cked that up.

3 Likes

Do you have evidence for anything you said or are you just speculating based on rumors?

Volk is someone I would certainly have liked to see in more MMA fights

1 Like

I started training w/ Joe Charles during the early UFC days.

“NHB” was so small, other UFC fighters would visit the gym or we would go to their schools --like the famed Beverly Hills Jiu Jitsu when it first opened. BHBJJ was an INSANE school when it opened.

So, I personally trained a little bit with people like Marcus Bosset, Bas Rutten, Oleg, Joe Moreira, Fabiano Iha – BEFORE I ever took my first BJJ lesson! I met or was just around others --like Ruas. THEN I got involved in BJJ and met or trained with even MORE guys --Like, Vitor Belfort-- who also fought during that early era, not to mention Carlson Sr, and a decent amount of the Carlson team that fought in the UFC (e.g. Murilo, Wallid, etc.). Years later I met more fighters from that era like Todd Medina.

When you hear similar things directly from people who were in those early UFCs --or very close to the early UFCs-- you form opinions. You can call those “rumors” if you want.

8 Likes

English?

Sick burn, bro.

1 Like

That would be an amazing experience. What an honor. They were so lucky to have had the opportunity to train with young Master Shen.

2 Likes

Wow. Old school names. I knew a guy who went to high school with Bosset. He was a shorin-ryu karate guy when he entered the UFC. He had the unfortunate luck of meeting Dan Severn in the cage.

Iha was trained my Ruas, right? I barely remember his name lol.

Damn, some old memories are getting kicked up.

1 Like

Yes, I’m sure he taught them the art of Shen-Jutsu, which helped many of them win their UFC fights.

:crazy_face:

Brazilians are weirdos

In a post above ( I think it was this thread, keep confusing it with the Mark C Rickson comment thread).

In a post above I mention Gokor telling me that 2 of his students were going to be in the next UFC.

It was Oleg and Joe Charles that he was referencing.

1 Like

Was it Iha vs Cleber that was Ruas vs Gracie lineage?!? My mind is fucking blurry

1 Like

They think you’re weird too.