Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

The combined record of all Ricksons opponents is 74-63, and he fought a 2-7 AND a 2-6 guy twice. The win over Funaki had special rules disallowing no knees or elbows to the head standing or on the ground.

5 Likes

Definitely! All the promoters needed to do was to offer him $10 million to fight Japanese pro wrestlers

2 Likes

What is their record if you excluse Funaki’s pancrase rules fights

1 Like

He only fought three guys that had winning records. He fought a bunch of losers and pro wrestlers.

3 Likes

64 of the 74 wins probably come from Funaki worked pancrase fights lol.

3 Likes

Without Funaki and his questionable record, the opponents total records are 35-50.

4 Likes

What a legend!

2 Likes

That is just embarrassing

1 Like

Ebenezer Braga > Rickson Gracie

3 Likes

The GOAT!!!

Jordan, Gretzky, and Brady have nothing on Rickson.

1 Like

I remember that.
Post Rickson death he built a platform in a tree to meditate on and sat there each day. Eventually a small bird that kept coming closer sat on him and returned each day.
I thought it was in the ‘21st Century Spirit Warrior’ Japanese photography book and had a look. The story isn’t in there but there are photos of him on the wooden tree platform with the bird.
I think the story itself was in an interview.

Very disappointing to hear Kron was a bully. I grew up in South Central LA, about 10 miles from the rich kids in the Palisades, he either would got jumped or shot if he would have come around pulling that BBJ stuff around the hood.Then again Kron does seem a bit like an elitist douche

2 Likes

Also per his book, Rickson found a Ganesh on the beach which he implies gave him good luck in his fights. He also built a wooden shrine for it in his backyard. Dude spent more time building shrines in his backyard than disciplining his kids an attending to his wife Kim lol

6 Likes

Rickson beat Takada twice.

Takada beat UFC and Pride champion Mark Coleman

Rickson beat Funaki

Funaki beat UFC Champion Bas Rutten and the whole Lion’s Den including UFC champion Frank Shamrock.

Stop trolling.

2 Likes

That’s definitely the story I remember, hopefully someone can dredge it up.

Define ‘positive’… give details

In the article, Kron said he didn’t start taking JJ serious until after his brother’s death. His dad moved to Brazil. Dad’s black belts essentially trained Kron as dad wasn’t around. Dad came back in the picture at the time when Kron was already near the top of his game. Kron specifically said his dad did not train him.

Like any separation based on tragedy, Rickson had to rebuild his relationship with his son.

This article made me feel sorry for Kron. Dude is probably carrying a lot of emotional baggage.

3 Likes

That’s the whole thing… it’s easy to be a “thug” in the Palisades beating up the children of Hollywood elites. Almost no one is carrying a gun and everyone is planning on going to college, etc.

Kind of a “Malibu’s Most Wanted” situation, TBH.

4 Likes

I can’t believe no one jumped on the opportunity to point out that this book sold 400-0 copies right out of the gate…

4 Likes

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8qpw9a/kron-gracie-on-jiu-jitsu-skateboarding-older-brothers-and-famous-fathers

Kron’s perspective when Rickson left CA overnight as a child. Rickson made promises to train him many times but would show up late. Rickson is far from a spiritual master, he is a self serving master

6 Likes