Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

If I want to learn how to teach my vapid trophy wife a basic hip escape, I will hit up Rickson.

You are not familiar with Mike Tyson?

1 Like

He keeps pidgeon coops, plus it’s mike, he’s proven one of the best and exciting heavyweights of all time that’s challenged himself.

When someone puts a lot of energy into hating on another, it says more about the hater than the hated. Rickson is just a man like any other; both good and bad. Bottom line is he’s accomplished far more than most hating on him.

4 Likes

Then present yourself as such.

1 Like

from the book:

Rockson once said to his sister, “I’m either going to be rich, in prison, or dead.” Can you imagine a kid saying that? He was drawn like a magnet to trouble that he easily could have avoided.

2 Likes

Read it first then judge. He wrote it circa 2000 and I couldn’t find it maybe a year later, not sure if anyone saved it but seems doubtful. I think it had to do with spending a lot of time in his Garden and the bird being more and more comfortable with him and then eating from his hand and eventually sharing space with him or something like that but is happened during his healing process and was very well written as far as I remember.

2 Likes

Fact is, both of Rickson’s sons were bullies and picked fights with HS kids at parties who didn’t know how to fight. Same thing the Gracies did in Brazil, but Rickson’s son’s were doing it in a very upscale area, Pacific Palisades, with a lot less danger to themselves. They were kinda the Cobra Kai of the Palisades. Disappointing, but true.

10 Likes

To think a dead bird gave the world Iron Mike… Talk about a Butterfly Effect

1 Like

u know, i used to coach a kid who kron punched in the face at a party
he didnt know who kron was at the time but the friends were saying “get him, Kron!”
the kid walked away, according to his story (told around 2003), he hadnt done anything to instigate either
i assumed it was true
kron on rogan seemed to have 2 sides to him. the zen rickson side, and the gangsta side

3 Likes

There are a LOT of stories like this.

For years I taught Self-Defense as P.E. at a few Private Girls schools in the area and one of my H.S. students at Marymount High School asked me if I knew who the “Gracies” were and told me a similar story about a party she was at the previous weekend. Before she even told me, I knew what they story was going to be.

She then said, “I thought martial arts people were supposed to not do stuff like that…?” She was genuinely perplexed, which was both endearing & sad… and of course a tiny bit naive. I’ve know maybe 6, 7 guys --still know some well-- who grew up in the neighborhood with Rickson’s family and have all sorts of stories too. Some are BJJ BBs themselves today.

So pretty well know stuff about the “jitz mob” especially if you do BJJ and grew up in the general Palisades, Santa Monica, Malibu area.

I know some people hang on Rickson’s every word, but there are a lot of areas of life where Rickson probably should be the one taking advice, not giving it.

9 Likes

2 Rickson stories that always stuck with me. First one, Rickson used to hang out at a beach and heard about a bully that had been harassing and beating people up there. He decided to teach the bully a lesson and went looking for him. For 3 weeks he walked the beach asking everyone if they had seen the bully and telling them to spread the word that Rickson was looking for him until Rickson finally realized that he was the bully everyone had been talking about. He said this was the moment he learned to overcome his ego.

Second story is about how Rickson killed a bear using Gracie Jiu Jitsu. I’m not sure about how it all started but the Gracies had a challenge out for all comers and someone from the luta livre gym brought a bear to the gracie school to fight. Rickson was the family champion so he stepped up to fight. Things were getting pretty heated between the luta Livre guys and gracies. All kinds of backup for both sides started arriving and a ruot almost broke out.

They finally decided to let rickson and the bear fight to end the rivalry for good. No rules, no time limit and only ends by tap out or death. They went out to the beach because there were so many people and they fought. The bear was obviously bigger and stronger and mauled Rickson, throwing him around and trying to bite him. Rickson was smaller but his grappling technique and hip movement was so good that the bear could not pass his guard. They fought for hours until it got dark and the fight was broken up. Both sides agreed to continue in the morning and went home. Later that night word got out that Rickson was rushed to the hospital and died due to internal bleeding from the fight.

The entire city mourned him and turned out for the funeral the next day. In a shoe of respect the entire luta livre team showed up including the bear. During the ceremony they were viewing the casket when rickson jumped out the coffin surprising the bear, took his back and choked him to death since the bear was an animal and therefore had no concept of tapping out. This showed how clever and far ahead of everyone else rickson is. Knowing he couldn’t beat the bear with strength or just technique, he used strategy.

12 Likes

The issue is he didnt compete BEFORE that. Hes now using Rockson’s death to rewrite history as the reason he ducked real competition, rather than fear of losing and damaging his brand. By the time Rockson died no one in their right mind expected Rickson to fight guys like Sakuraba or Shamrock.

3 Likes

Who did Rickson fight? Actually fight? Just list a few of them. I will wait.

I literally cant remember the names of his JVT opponents LOL! Then he beat untrained pro wrestler Takada twice. And his biggest win was vs Funaki, a man of questionable credintials coming off a loss vs Ebenezer Braga.

Ebenezer Braga has much bigger MMA accolades in general than Rickson LOL

2 Likes

Whoa! That is so mystical. Rickson must be a fucking god. I mean, he never fought anyone decent. But we just have to trust the words of his jock riders.

David Levicki was allegedly a world champion Wing Chun fighter and Rickson beat him.

David Levicki.

1 Like

Damn! Rickson fought a legit murderer’s row of champions!

I forgot he beat Bud Smith.

|WIN|Masakatsu Funaki|C2K - Colosseum 2000
May / 26 / 2000|Technical Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
N/A|1|12:49|
|WIN|Nobuhiko Takada|Pride FC - Pride 4
Oct / 11 / 1998|Submission (Armbar)
Yuji Shimada|1|9:30|
|WIN|Nobuhiko Takada|Pride FC - Pride 1
Oct / 11 / 1997|Submission (Armbar)
Yuji Shimada|1|4:47|
|WIN|Yuki Nakai|VTJ 1995 - Vale Tudo Japan 1995
Apr / 20 / 1995|Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
N/A|1|6:22|
|WIN|Koichiro Kimura|VTJ 1995 - Vale Tudo Japan 1995
Apr / 20 / 1995|Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
N/A|1|2:07|
|WIN|Yoshihisa Yamamoto|VTJ 1995 - Vale Tudo Japan 1995
Apr / 20 / 1995|Technical Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
N/A|3|3:49|
|WIN|Bud Smith|VTJ 1994 - Vale Tudo Japan 1994
Jul / 29 / 1994|TKO (Submission to Punches)
N/A|1|0:39|
|WIN|David Levicki|VTJ 1994 - Vale Tudo Japan 1994
Jul / 29 / 1994|TKO (Submission to Punches)
N/A|1|2:40|
|WIN|Yoshinori Nishi|VTJ 1994 - Vale Tudo Japan 1994
Jul / 29 / 1994|Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
N/A|1|2:58|
|WIN|Casemiro Nascimento Martins|IE - Independent Event
Jan / 01 / 1984|Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
N/A|1|N/A|
|WIN|Casemiro Nascimento Martins|IE - Independent Event
Apr / 25 / 1980|Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
N/A|1|11:55|

3 Likes

Imagine the best basketball player ever never entering the NBA and all we have is some grainy 80s footage of him for 5 minutes. Or the geatest swimmer ever, could beat all the records, but he chooses to swim at his home pool and only a couple of his friends have seen him in the water.

This shit is stupid beyond belief.

13 Likes

Take a good look at the records of Rickson’s MMA opponents.

Only three have winning records.

Rickson fought tomato cans.

8 Likes

Im sure if Rockson didnt die 42 year old Rickson was ready to go on a tear vs top competition!

4 Likes