Rickson Gracie’s memoir ‘Breathe’ spills a lot of tea

We could dream.

4 Likes

Ttt

Not doubting it, just stating how ragingly homosexual itis

I dig the King Hippo btw, no homo…

That was an easy read homie, was it edited after your “Now in English” request?

1 Like

Yeah ok. I have no dog in the fight but

1 Like

Prove otherwise. I actually have a very legitmate dog in the fight, but I’m a private person lol.

1 Like

Keenan called him and Helio modern purple belts lol so that definitely isn’t true.

2 Likes

There is truth that modern sport BJJ has evolved quite a bit, BUT Gracie family jiu jitsu was designed for FIGHTING, not tournaments.

Sport BJJ =/= fighting. A more apples to apples criticism of GJJ would be to compare it to modern MMA.

If you want BJJ that “works” in a fight context there are some necessary compromises you have to make. Some of these will put you in a disadvantage in modern sport BJJ. I mean Lapel Guard is great for Sport BJJ, but if you want your stuff to be completely fight ready, it’s basically a waste of time.

1 Like

Wasn’t Carlson Gracie Sr Jiu-Jitsu fight ready?

1 Like

I value my wrestling, judo and striking significantly more for self defense tbh. Jiu jitsu is a sport to me. That’s really the only interest I have in it anymore. And I actually don’t play any of the advanced lapel stuff but I will feed it through the crotch to finish singles and half guard sweeps.

It’s nice to know if you want to fuck someone up without any bruising or cuts. If I witnessed one of those random acts of violence like in nyc I might apply a heelhook and rotate the guy’s foot 360.

That was a long time ago. BJJ has developed much farther in a sportive direction since then. There’s a much bigger chasm between the two now.

1 Like

I always say people talk about these amazing sport bjj guys, A LOT of them would have gotten killed in the first UFC’s…the ones Royce won.

It’s like a lot of things, it gets too specialized and then it gets watered down for its intended purpose

3 Likes

Wait, so he confirms his mum really was an African maid?
That’s been a joke for a couple of decades.

2 Likes

I don’t blame rickson for not competing after that, it changes a man. I remember a beautiful story rickson wrote shortly after rockson’s death about interacting with a bird in his backyard. At the time it seemed like rickson was a spiritual master, which he may very well be. This was circa 2000 and I printed it out so it’s possible I have it deep in storage somewhere. Anyone else remember this story or have a digital copy? It really touched me reading it at the time.

1 Like

in the book rixkson did say royce never won anything significant in brazil

1 Like

Yeah, you’d think he’d have reevaluated his life and try and redeem himself by doubling down and embracing his role as a father and husband but instead ditched them for Brazil so he could fuck chicks and surf. You had one job, dude. It wasn’t even like he was training for fights or taking teaching seriously at the time either. He was neglecting his family for his own selfish pursuits and desires. Very zen :roll_eyes:

If I had an ounce of respect for the man, I would probably go easier on him about the aura bullshit and fake record. All the book did was confirm that he’s an enormous scumbag of a human being. He had to create that persona because nobody would respect him otherwise. That’s not how an honorable zen humble warrior everyone is supposed to look up to carries themselves, period. You don’t get to have your cake and eat it too.

6 Likes

Quite a while ago I stumbled upon an interview with Kron in a skateboarding website. Kron did not paint a positive picture of his dad after his brother’s death.

3 Likes

How would you not be angry?

1 Like

Lol you come across like a one direction super fan girl, “it’s like we were all his grandchildren”, sure thing boss, as long as you paid the $500 fee I’m sure your business was appreciated. Gracies are so fucking full of themselves.

2 Likes

He was probably trying to sell the bird $300 a month BJJ classes. Lol interacting with birds

3 Likes